Windscreen glazing rubber problems

My current task has been to fit a new windscreen & glazing rubber - not a massive problem, done a couple before & have the help of number two son who is isolating at home.

In anticipation of doing the work I bought a new seal from TR shop as I thought the old one may be a bit hard by now.

Tried to fit it to the screen with a squirt of soapy water the same as always and found I had what can best be described as several inches too much to fit! - The profile looks absolutely correct but there isn't a hope in hell it's going on this screen.

I cleaned of the old one & ten minutes later - job done & fitted, shouldn't have bought the new one....:(

Anyone else encountered this issue?

Windscreen seal1.jpg

Windscreen seal2.jpg

Thanks folks, doesn't sound like a previously encountered problem, I'll not bother getting another, I gave the original a good clean and it's back fitted to the car with the new screen, I'll call TR shop tomorrow if they're open & ask for a refund, they're normally pretty good to deal with. My gut feeling is that it has for some reason its just been made too long...anyway in the big scheme of things at present there's no harm done & cracking on with the rebuild.

Windscreen seal 3.jpg

When Dan and Carl at Revington fitted a new laminated screen to my TR4 about 18 months ago (to replace the screen which was becoming opaque from the bottom upwards), they re-used the seal which had been on the car since about 1970.  Perhaps they know something?

Ian Cornish

If you don't mind me asking, but what is the source for the twin longitudinal master cylinder and balance bar arrangement ?

Hi Alf, the twin brake system is a fairly conventional set up which we made ourselves, the master cylinders are fitted side by side with the remote reservoirs and bulkhead connectors for the pipes on a bracket to the side, still very much work in progress.....

Heres the bracket after powder coating & during the plumbing stage

When Dan and Carl at Revington fitted a new laminated screen to my TR4 about 18 months ago (to replace the screen which was becoming opaque from the bottom upwards), they re-used the seal which had been on the car since about 1970.  Perhaps they know something?

You may well be right Ian, there's a lot to be said for reusing parts, the screen itself came from Neil - no problems there.

Master cylinder bracket.jpg

Master cylinders.jpg

By the looks of it John thats a Surrey rear screen seal, Moss do the best screen seals FWIW. Neat job with the twin masters though from experience be careful how you bleed them.

Stuart.