BENEFITS OF REGULAR USE

Our Historic vehicle registration allows 60 days a year plus club runs. I have a fair few days left and it renews in two weeks. While the car 6 normally gets driven once a twice week or about 4-6 times a month, I have driven it nearly everyday for 7 days, about 80kms a day.

I swear it is running smoother, less rattles, more power, smoother clutch operation. Unfortunately, once the registration renews it will be back to reduced driving.

The longer the run the smoother it feels. I used it three times during the week then a 100  mile ride on the Sunday it’s was so responsive and smooth 

Always found that if my past cars were off the road for periods of time they sounded like a bag of bolts until gently warmed up, thrashed to red hot and used as much as possible afterwards. Think it should be seen as preventative maintenance mechanical things like to be used otherwise seals dry out, things stick and oiled surfaces become dry and suffer increased wear.

So running them throughout the year is a good thing. Just wish they would stop throwing salt everywhere :angry:

Andy 

Edited by PodOne
word added
3 hours ago, John McCormack said:

Our Historic vehicle registration allows 60 days a year plus club runs. I have a fair few days left and it renews in two weeks. While the car 6 normally gets driven once a twice week or about 4-6 times a month, I have driven it nearly everyday for 7 days, about 80kms a day.

I swear it is running smoother, less rattles, more power, smoother clutch operation. Unfortunately, once the registration renews it will be back to reduced driving.

No lock down in Australia then.

To my mind all vehicles were made to be used rather than stored away .... hence using mine for my (in normal circumstances) daily commute.

Also allows a better appreciation of any changes to noises/bumps/squeaks/rattles etc.  ....... Andy 

I entirely agree with John and regular use has always been my philosophy to keep a classic in top running order. The more they are used the better they go. It's probably my imagination but I always reckon my car goes better on the second thousand miles of a weekend's Round Britain Reliability Run than  the first thousand!

Due to unfortunate timing on my part even without the current lockdown I would be unable to put my theory into practice. On 9th March I dropped the 4A off at a local body shop for professional attention to small areas of rust on both front wings; this work is beyond my skills and I had booked the car in way back in November before leaving for Australia for three months. Of course the body shop is now closed as a non-essential business and my car is undriveable minus front wings which went away for sand blasting! I have advised my insurance company that the car is no longer locked in my garage overnight, just the parts of it shown herewith!

The only consolations are that even were I to have the car back I couldn't be driving it at present anyway and fortunately I didn't  have a list of jobs that needed doing on it that I could have been getting on with during the lockdown. At least it's a chance to get the garage straight.

Tim

896527401_Somethingmissing!.thumb.JPG.842e289802abb1a6ebe9cc96a65d7d50.JPG

17 hours ago, Phil Read said:

No lock down in Australia then.

There is, of sorts. No gatherings of more than 2, only allowed out for certain reasons, exercise is one of them, compassionate another.

I and the Power of Attorney and Guardian for my 97 year old mum and have needed to visit her and the nursing home staff pretty regularly. The TR6 has been the transport 40km there and 40km back. No traffic has been a blessing.

6 hours ago, John McCormack said:

There is, of sorts. No gatherings of more than 2, only allowed out for certain reasons, exercise is one of them, compassionate another.

I and the Power of Attorney and Guardian for my 97 year old mum and have needed to visit her and the nursing home staff pretty regularly. The TR6 has been the transport 40km there and 40km back. No traffic has been a blessing.

Unfortunately not allowed here.