Electrical Gremlins

Hi Dave,

For me the worrying thing is lack of lights. The only things between the battery and the lights are the Brown and Blue cable from 'A1' on the control box to the lighting switch. This does not go through the Ignition switch.

With lights on, use your voltmeter to check voltage on 'A1' (should be battery voltage). If not it points to the Dynamo, Control box or Ammeter, or cables connecting them to the Control box.

Sound the horn. (This connects directly from the battery so if it fails to sound, there is a problem with the connection from the battery to the Ammeter

If ok check the Blue wire on the lighting switch. This should show Battery voltage when the headlamps are switched on. (if not the lighting switch has a problem).

With lights still on, check the Brown and Blue wire on Ignition switch for battery voltage. (if not the connection between the lighting switch and the ignition switch has a problem)

Beyond that. check for battery voltage on the white wire on the coil. (if not then wiring fault between ignition switch and coil

From what you have described one or all of these tests should fail and that should help to identify the problem

TT

Hi

Thanks once again for the help, most useful.

I found out that the ammeter is working Ok but no power is getting from it to the ignition switch. I then decided to clean all the connections through from the battery to the ignition switch and i'm pleased to say that this has solved the problem, not sure how but it's all working now.  

Dave,

It’s good to hear you got it working.

However…

There is one golden rule when it comes to faultfinding.

Make only one change, and then test.

If it works, then you have found the problem.

If it does not work, then make another change, and test again.

Carry on making just one change until it works.

That way you will discover exactly what the actual problem was.

Charlie

3 hours ago, Charlie D said:

Dave,

It’s good to hear you got it working.

However…

There is one golden rule when it comes to faultfinding.

Make only one change, and then test.

If it works, then you have found the problem.

If it does not work, then make another change, and test again.

Carry on making just one change until it works.

That way you will discover exactly what the actual problem was.

Charlie

+1