Digital gauge for TR4

Well, as part of the work on my dashboard I thought I'd make use of the space taken up by the ashtray which in all the years I've had the car has only ever been used for storing a music usb which will now not be needed due to a new system.

I've fitted a small multi function unit that I wanted primarily to act as a voltmeter having removed the old ammeter from the dash, the bonus is that apart from providing a voltage readout it also has a clock function together with two temperature readouts - judging by the length of the sensor wires I would imagine one inside & one outside which is hardly usefull on a convertable like this. However the range on the probe is -35c up to +120c so I may use one for under bonnet monitoring.

The unit is so compact it actually fits inside the existing ashtray which can still be tilted forward and provide a bit of space if needed.

The display can be set on each of the readout functions seperately or will scroll over each one in a loop, not for those seeking originality perhaps but as a usefull practical addition I'm pretty pleased with the result for just over a fiver!

clocka.jpg

Clock.jpg

That is very neat John!

i experimented a few years ago with a similar unit, and placed one of the temp sensors inside the intake plenum on my 6

when driving along the air temp would be close to ambient, but idling in traffic it rose to 60+C !

was quite interesting....

steve

Could you use one of the temps read outs  for oil ?

Good shout - I'll have to give that one some thought,  hadn't considered it but must be possible somehow.

Hi John - how does the air/fuel ratio gauge work?

Hi ian, it's a new set up that hasn't been run yet but part of the kit was a Bosch sender unit that I've fitted to the manifold where it goes from four into one - still got to make an access panel in teh front of the tunnel cover.

No idea of the costs involved (probably large), but the instrument binnacle replacement in the Lotus Esprit restoration on Car SOS recently was an interesting option.

........ Andy 

and you didn;t like my rear view Audi TT mirrors

Fair comment Roger - we'll agree that at least our alterations are  practical!

..& if you think a digital clock is bad you'll love some of the other stuff on this one....:ph34r:

On 3/28/2020 at 1:58 PM, Chilliman said:

Good shout - I'll have to give that one some thought,  hadn't considered it but must be possible somehow.

Hi ian, it's a new set up that hasn't been run yet but part of the kit was a Bosch sender unit that I've fitted to the manifold where it goes from four into one - still got to make an access panel in teh front of the tunnel cover.

I now have a wideband AFR meter in the exhaust on my 4a which I have found really useful to retune my Dellortos since going to 89mm.

Stuart.

I now have a wideband AFR meter in the exhaust on my 4a which I have found really useful to retune my Dellortos since going to 89mm.

Thats good to know thanks Stuart, I was certainly hoping it would help with the set up on mine.

2 hours ago, Chilliman said:

Thats good to know thanks Stuart, I was certainly hoping it would help with the set up on mine.

If you have a known local "Test track" then you can work out where it goes rich or week depending on throttle position and adjust accordingly dependant on pulling/or off throttle, I did find going up to larger chokes made the best difference. Helps with someone riding with you making notes.

Stuart.