Every Garage Gets Untidy..But How Do You Avoid a Crisis?!

Hi All

My garage lately has not been the most well groomed of batchellor pads around, and even if I called it a man cave instead, I don't think it would even comply with those lesser stringent of standards!

Ive seen some pictures of some really clean and well organised garages on here from time to time, but at the moment I can hardly squeeze through the door!

So any hot tips on how you organise your garage to make it a productive and pleasant place to be, advice on the best storage solutions, and what do you do with all those bits and pieces that you might just need 'one day'!

Kevin

Is it just me or does every one find that if you dispose of something that's been in the garage for the last 25 plus years three months later it's the very thing you need and is unavailable anywhere in the universe?!!    Labeled boxes is the only answer, although my boxes are beginning to take over!! 

Cheers Rob

Every time I reorganise my garage/workshop space, I end up buying something else, big tool chest, sometimes a car or a bike, never anything smaller than a Triumph engine. Then I'm right back to square one, tripping over stuff and struggling to find what I really need, or where I carefully stored the parts I know I've got but haven't seen for a few months.

So I'm sorry, no useful answer from me.

Nigel

Box it and label.

Use it ...then put it away.

Never leave stuff on the bench unless it’s inactive progress.

".....................now I’m off to practice what I preach! :-)

Edited by iain

Goid I’m not alone, I’m very good at knowing how to tide a shop, ....maybe do it tomorrow?

I think part of the problem is the garage becomes a stores as well as a workshop, and a car in the garage is okay until you strip it down! Like Nigel I'm also always taking something in, but NEVER bringing anything out, and as Kiwifrog says the ceiling IS an option....yes if high enough. Mine is very low!

Square biscuit tins as Roger suggested are a good option and can be stored squarely in cubes as apposed to round tins so making best use of space. I am also going to look into wall shelves and maybe another rack system. I have got one BigDug racking system  already which is brilliant.  But some stuff has to go...like a multitude of useless aerosols for instance, some from the 1990's I believe. 

Oh well it is spring and we are supposedly self-isolating so no excuse not to crack on!

Kevin

When sitting in the house I can think of lots to get rid of, but when I get to the garage and pick stuff up....It goes back from where it came. 

and to slightly change a post on Facebook earlier "After years of wanting to tidy the garage but lacking the time, this week I discovered that wasn't the reason"