Hi

Rebuilding my Tr4a confused with all the different posts and comments wether to keep the current crank case breather set up, Or look at oil catch can, can't see good diagram where the hoses connect from catch can. Can see one hose connects to rocker cover breather, but can't see where second hose connects to. Oil catch cans look quite expensive, any suggestions cheers 

Hi Phil,

start off with it in standard config.  if it works - and it should - then stay as is. If there is a problem (mine was drinking oil by the bucket load) then ask the same question.

On the catch tank one hose goes to thew rocker cover outlet. The other pipe hangs down just below body level.

Nothing should come out    Or fit a purpose built filter to the outlet of the tank.

You will need to blank off the hole in the inlet manifold.

Also consider using a TR4 snorkel breather pipe fitted to the blanked off hole just below the mechanical  petrol pump - easier to fit with engine out of body off.

Roger

Morning Phil I have just had my engine rebuilt and gone for the catch tank method, I only had a rocker cover vent before. You can see the rocker cover out let and the other outlet is the low one by the gearbox below the fuel pump, it will be a blank unless you had a snorkel, a snorkel is the other way you could go and would be cheaper.

Mike Redrose Group  

36394FA9-3D3B-4521-9342-76650993B566.jpeg

Phil, 

Original design works fine...beware the upgrade spiral of modification...

My 4A 30+ yrs of driving, the only time the original breather goes wrong is when the engine has deeper problems. 

On a slightly different subject found my two studs to hold distributor housing were sheered off from the engine block we successfully drilled them out. Can anyone please tell me what size tap I need to re thred the holes. The studs have a larger thread into the block, thanks. Orderd 3/8ths UNC but these were to big, luckily they fit holes for manafold

The Moss book says it is part number TE505111 which are 5/16 unc-unf so the same diameter each end but different thread. 

On 3/28/2020 at 9:01 AM, brenda said:

Morning Phil I have just had my engine rebuilt and gone for the catch tank method, I only had a rocker cover vent before. You can see the rocker cover out let and the other outlet is the low one by the gearbox below the fuel pump, it will be a blank unless you had a snorkel, a snorkel is the other way you could go and would be cheaper.

Mike Redrose Group  

Mike

I see you've gone for a crankcase breather and catch tank.

I have a TR4/4A block which had a "snorkel" fitted. When I came to fit a catch tank (previous requirement for the hillclimb regs) I found that there was a plug in the casting, similar to a core plug rendering the snorkel completely superfluous!

Check you haven't got a similar arrangement, it was buried right at the back of the horizontal aperture which the snorkel fits in.

Oil seepage has reduced considerably since modifying

Phil

Without some crankcase ventialtion it's nnot surprising you had had some seepage!

The catchtank option is a racetrack requirement so that if you blow a piston and pressurise your sump the oil gets caught in the catch tankk rathe rthan gets dumped on the track.

No such requirement for road use. The crank needs a breather - such as the snorkel of the earlier cars or the breather that fees into the manifold of the later cars.  Feeding back hot, contamnated sump gasses into the inlet charge is probably not optimal for the mixture so I have done away with the connection to the inlet and left the rocker to vent to the atmosphere.

Andy

Although the crankcase snorkel was non functioning, there was a breather pipe from the rocker cover to the inlet air box. The latter is now blanked off and the rocker pipe also routed to the catch tank

Phil