bereaved sale always a sad thing.

Is it a know car / body ? That’s been in hiding. 

can just a body be worth that much ? surely to have significant value it would need its original chassis and engine ?

Edited by Hamish
Sp

Strange one of the pics shows the chassis then not in others? 

150k more so if its just a tub! Only good for a re shell.

Tread carefully, this vehicle has had a long and contorted life.

This is indeed is the original body of XHP 939.

The XHP 939 registration and body plate were both “obtained” by Paul Hogan and now they sit uncomfortably on the Replica manufactured by Glen Hewitt of Protek Engineering.

The Son has been trying to sell the remains of the car for years, much of this time being without the Fathers permission.

From the tone of the advert it has to be assumed that the Father has now sadly passed away.

A certain TR Enthusiast has full knowledge of this particular car’s history and the trials and tribulations it has endured.

Richard

For those that where unaware Keith White the owner of the remains of 939 did pass away quietly last year , The family are now looking to sell the remains , I believe there is maybe a bit more than the shell ? Or at least there was . And there are other components still in existence. 

graham

How did the reg and body plate become separated from the original body ?

8 hours ago, NickKerfoot said:

Something the greater (lesser?) membership aren't going to find out about,  I suspect..... 

I’d certainly be interested to hear more Nick..... As I’m sure many more would also, any chance Richard, Graham, all?

Question to the wise. 

whilst I understand the interest in this car. I posted it after all.  I thought it was a case of an interesting car surfacing. 

I didnt the realise the potential implications.

should we ( I ) request a lock on this thread before anything is said that is libellous?

3 minutes ago, Tony_C said:

Now you’ve made it even more interesting Hamish!?

I think Richard above has suggested enough to warrant caution. 

I don't see a problem, it is what it is, a bodyshell which is advertised as coming from a TR used in historical competition. The story of why and how it is available will hopefully be established by whomever eventually buys it, put up the money and you get's to ask the questions and hopefully answers.

Mick Richards

Well perhaps those with a physical/pecuniary interest can shed some light  

Well... not really.

Imagine a race car is in a race and is involved in an accident that prevented it from continuing in the race and the race records recorded that car as being "wrecked," but afterwards the damaged shell remains are removed from the car and a new shell fitted, but the old shell is disposed of...which is the original car and identity ? 

Some people would say the original chassis and engine would carry the identity but they only carry engine number identities, whereas the shell would carry the chassis number and body number tags (unless removed), which is the original ?  Then over a couple of lifetimes and a racing history littered with action that same car is damaged a number of times with a seized engine removed and because of transport and recovery costs being discarded in a shed near a race track (happened often in earlier times, Auto Union engine from Leicestershire barn anybody ?). Which is that race cars engine ? the original abandoned one or the newer replacement ?

Or again body shell parts removed around Europe after being damaged and sold/abandoned over a long period could spawn 2 or 3 other cars all rebuilt and now sporting the one identity. It's a morass of cars used and broken down into constituent parts (not marked or recorded) which then resurface sometimes as competing identical parts or even complete cars. Allegedly there are a number of well known and historical car marques which now have more cars competing and identified than were originally made.

Mick Richards