TR4A washer bottle and Rad overflow bottle

Hi Guys,

I know that the subject items are available as repro's and not expensive,  but does anybody know of any magic home process than can be used to lesson/improve the yellow aging found on the original polythene bottles  over time.

I would like to re-use my originals but they are looking a bit tatty in my new engine bay :mellow:.

Thanks 

Rich

Well I hope to get a suggestion Rich because I have exactly the same issue.

Atb

Tim

+1 for the dishwasher, it's surprising how well discoloured plastic responds,   .... and (not possible under current CoVid 19 restrictions) but so long as SWMBO is out for a while if you want to clean up Ali or Ali alloy parts then in the dishwasher with Oxalic acid instead of dishwasher powder and they come up an absolute treat.    Do not use dishwasher powder on Ali or alloy at any time, it will come out black.

Cheers Rob

44 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Hi Rich,

have you tried it in a dish washer.

Roger

Funny this, I've faced exactly the same problem as well - I've tried the dishwasher route 3 times and it made hardly any difference - I've also tried bleach which made no difference at all.

I think the only way may be to use a very fine blast medium ( soda?) both inside and out, but haven'y yet had an opportunity to try it - mind you I have got some nice shiny stainless brackets for the rad overflow bottle, so it would be great to get the bottle to do it justice!

Cheers Rich

IMG_3064 - Resized.JPG

I think that unless you know what plastic the bottle is made of, you may end up with a very strange shaped bottle. Gets very hot in the dishwasher although the bottle is meant to contain very hot water. I did try Coca Cola in the washer bottle and got a small improvement but the expansion bottle is far worse due to the rusty water from the radiator.

Vinegar?

Very dilute phosphoric acid is strong coke?

Tim

Much of the discolouring is the result of exposure to UV light over many years, and is as far as I know a one way process. 

If you do look for an alternative to the original radiator bottle do make sure it's at least as big as the original as up to 3/4 of its capacity is needed in V hot weather for coolant expansion.   The alternative is to fit a remote header tank, and if you still want a smaller overflow bottle from that then a clear cycling water bottle is ideal. 

Chris 

IMG_7956.JPG

How about buying the new bottle and keeping your used tea bags in it for a few weeks!

Tim