water pump pulley in line with the other pulleys

Hi there,

for my 4 cylinder I own several water pumps and pulleys,

in combination with each other always with a different distance from the pump body to the middle of the type 20 belt....

P1150797-b.JPG.565f168968549b09da8aaa15a524ff29.JPG

This is (44.5 mm + 28.5 mm)/2 = 36.5 mm, others are 35.5 mm up to 38.0 mm!

Is there any documentation / does anyone know about the correct / original distance, please?

Cheers, Marco

Edited by Z320

Marco

My experience is that various new water pump pulleys sit at various distances too far forward, mainly because the back of the pump housing is not machined out quite enough or the lower pulley on the crank has been replaced and the spacing changes. Both can be shimmed slightly, but my preference has been to get the water pump pulley to fit the setting of the crank pulley, similarly the alternator pulley although this can be shimmed off the block mountings. That way the fan belt runs true off the crank which is the more critical element.

Its worth noting that the aluminium thin belt kits need adjusting in the way and they are not the ‘bolt on’ as advertised,  certainly for the 4 cylinder engine.

regards

Tony 

Hi Tony,

thank you for that,

I always thought it is not possible to shim it but have been convicted it works some weeks ago.

That's OK, but what about a pulley with too much offset? The one with 38 mm?

Ciao, Marco