Tr4A wiring loom route.

Hi Guys,

Is there a definitive diagram of the wiring loom route under the bonnet and in the boot for the TR4a anywhere in the Forum or net.

The Moss catalogue is rubbish as it is totally wrong. It shows a branch of the loom going through the bulkhead on the LH side to the coil etc. The replacement loom I have is identical to the original, but I am confused to its route under the bonnet. Only one branch, except the wiper motor  connection,  goes forwards from the RH side of the bulkhead under the pedals  ending with connections to the horns, relay. lights ending at the coil on the other side of the engine. Not enough length to go across the top or bottom of the front grill? so what's the route?

It would be nice to be able to look at a TR4a, but that's not likely to happen for sometime as all shows etc are cancelled.

Help:mellow:

Rich

Hi Rich not a very clear photo but mine is the same as your description, mine runs above the pedals through a grommeted hole to the radiator stays,  I have relays for lights at this point then to the lights and horn then runs along the bottom of the grill to the other horn, lights, water stat and then the coil. I am sure others will be along with a better photo for you.

Mike Redrose Group 

A83CF8D7-9F9A-4C39-A223-08C2C3E6FA52.jpeg

Rich - for clarity the following photos are from an original UK RHD 1965 TR4A.

Adding to Mikes input and maybe a bit easier to see as a fairly bare shell  but still with loom in place - hopefully with our enforced lockdown, this won't be like this for much longer so I took lots of photos, for myself as well as everyone else. I've also included the cockpit area as I thought it might help.

There's no front panel on this shell at the moment but basically the loom runs up the RH side of the engine compartment as you can see and then goes across the front panel/rad duct to nearside lights.

As for the back, the loom goes down onto the RH floor at the front and along the floor /sill and then up the rear wheelarch behind the trim panel and then along the rear wing top to rear light but diverts across top of tank picking up sender unit and then down LH side to pick up the nearside lights 

Photos hopefully below of the front end - - haven't got any of the back I'm afraid

Cheers Rich

IMG_3044 - Resized.JPG

IMG_3045 - Resized.JPG

IMG_3046 - Resized.JPG

IMG_3047 - Resized.JPG

IMG_3048 - Resized.JPG

IMG_3049 - Resized.JPG

IMG_3050 - Resized.JPG

IMG_3051 - Resized.JPG

IMG_3052 - Resized.JPG

IMG_3053 - Resized.JPG

IMG_3054 - Resized.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

At the front end they should go over the top of the Radiator cowling to the left hand headlamp/left hand side indicator lamps with the connections for the outer repeater branch and then back to the left hand horn and the temperature sender and coil feed.(Ignore the lack of rad cowl on these stock pictures.)

Stuart.

post-9736-0-02234700-1488123645.jpg

post-9736-0-51324400-1488123631.jpg

post-9736-0-95716400-1488123615.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Now have the wiring route in the engine bay all sorted. Now the rear. 

What is the route of the wiring from the 2 number plate lights in the over riders, The cable is fairly short from these and is attached to the bumper support bracket with 2 clips.

I presume there is a supplementary cable that goes to the rear light assembly to make the connection. If so does the route take the cable up the inner wing and through a grommet into the rear light chamber?. But there is no snap connectors in the rear light loom at this point? help?

Rich

2 hours ago, rvwp said:

Hi Guys,

Now have the wiring route in the engine bay all sorted. Now the rear. 

What is the route of the wiring from the 2 number plate lights in the over riders, The cable is fairly short from these and is attached to the bumper support bracket with 2 clips.

I presume there is a supplementary cable that goes to the rear light assembly to make the connection. If so does the route take the cable up the inner wing and through a grommet into the rear light chamber?. But there is no snap connectors in the rear light loom at this point? help?

Rich

The number plate lamp wires should be long enough to follow the route you describe and then they join into the loom with double Lucar connectors where the rear lamps join the main loom at each rear wing ends

Stuart.