Do You have any Interesting but, Not Very Useful Facts

Very good Roger,........ Did you all see the clip of the Mum taking home schooling really seriously for the two days?.....

Teaching the kids ‘Fractions’..... It involved a couple of bottles of white wine and a very large glass...You probably get the drift or, we could start posting them as appropriate on here?

How do you know that about DA for a fact then Tony - who measured his travels and how do you know no-one has gone further?

Just asking because i'm interested......,.B)

Edited by RobH
18 minutes ago, foster461 said:

Before they dive under water, a hippo has to fart to reduce buoyancy.

6 minutes ago, foster461 said:

you can see how holding that much gas would impair the ability to submerge.

Submerge? i'm surprised the bl**dy thing isn't airborne !

Back in the late 70's at Whipsnade soo (Dunstable)  I saw this for the forst tie and it stunned me.

The hippo stood in the water about 1.2 submerged. Water up to its bum 'ole.

The tail started to spin arcing the water from its pond across the visitor walkway. And then the water got thicker - much thicker.

Apparently they do this under water normally and the tail spinning quicly disperses the poo into the river.  Don;t swim down stream from the blighters.

Roger

Probably not a good idea to swim near Hippos anyway. They kill around 2900 Africans annually and are rated by some as the most dangerous animal on that continent.

2 hours ago, RobH said:

How do you know that about DA for a fact then Tony - who measured his travels and how do you know no-one has gone further?

Just asking because i'm interested......,.B)

Impeccable source Rob...... ‘Of all the bars in all the World’.... not many are seedier that the ‘Blue Parrot’ down a Voula backstreet in Greece (Sure Sue will know it well) That is where this gem of information came from....

Having just read another post that contained Unicorns.

Are Unicorns real. Quite simply yes.   The ancient Greeks (that includes up to date) had two serious books

One book contained all the Mythological beasts

The other book contained ALL the natural beast

Guess which book it is in.  The Encyclopaedia of Natural Beasts contains all that needs to be known about Unicorns.   The Greeks had heard about them from TRavellers from the far East.

Now you are doubting me. Have you ever seen a field of white horses/ponies. Many of these are juvenile Unicorn. It is only when they grow elderly that they develope the horn.

The fact the you have not seen one with a typical unicorn horn does not prove they do not exist.

Roger

Did I  record some local archeaology?    Briefly, in an local services excavation I found an old milk bottle.

IMG_20200324_221530.thumb.jpg.235e5069d77792816afe58beb352faab.jpg

The Custodian of the British Milk Botttle Museum (It's in Malvern - don't miss it if the TRR international goes back there!) was most grateful when I donated it!

And he asked me a question.   This bottle is much heavier, 20oz (570g) than a modern one at 5oz(143g).    Why are modern bottles lighter?

John

3 hours ago, Tony_C said:

YES John....

and I guess, Yes Ian.... he didn’t walk all those miles...

Well done again John, clue was not cryptic enough! 

(answer David Attenborough - I think we need to see evidence for that, Tony!)

If that didn't work, I was going to guess, Ivan Steamalotovitch, or whoever is the oldest engine driver on the Trans-Siberian Railway.   It's 10,000kms long and used to take eleven days terminus to terminus, although it takes only a week these days.   So if this Stakhanovite only took two days off after a trip (both ways) and one day for Revolution Day in October, he could have done that fifteen times a year, and in a career lasting 50 years (15-65) this Hero of the Revolution would have travelled FIFTEEN MILLION MILES.  And all on Planet Earth, not above it.   

Beat that, Attenborough!

6 minutes ago, john.r.davies said:

(answer David Attenborough - I think we need to see evidence for that, Tony!)

If that didn't work, I was going to guess, Ivan Steamalotovitch, or whoever is the oldest engine driver on the Trans-Siberian Railway.   It's 10,000kms long and used to take eleven days terminus to terminus, although it takes only a week these days.   So if this Stakhanovite only took two days off after a trip (both ways) and one day for Revolution Day in October, he could have done that fifteen times a year, and in a career lasting 50 years (15-65) this Hero of the Revolution would have travelled FIFTEEN MILLION MILES.  And all on Planet Earth, not above it.   

Beat that, Attenborough!

Nah, not having it.........

Ivan has only been to two places in his life, both inside just a obscure region of one single country...... Bet he never even got out of the cab at the cold end of the track!

“The lost item is always in the last place you look “

carry on looking after you found it to prove this saying wrong !!

:ph34r:

You can fit all the Planets of the solar system, side by side within the space between the Earth and the moon.

Did you know:

-Your head is an 8th of the height of your body
-Your eyes are halfway up your face/skull - look at someone dead on from infront, there is as much above the eyes as below
-Your foot is the same length as your Forearm
-Your Forearm/hand is the width of your shoulders
-Your armspan is the height of your body
- thumb is the length of your nose (if you hook it underneath)

- The length of the top section of your thumb is notionally 1"

The snag is, some of the above are useful to know, so, really shouldn't be here

Edited by wjgco
39 minutes ago, RogerH said:

that wouldn't half bugger the tides  :blink:

Good for all the surfin' dudes though man