TR4a spire nut identification.

Hi Guys,

Just a small thing, but can anybody identify a source for the 4 spire nuts that push/clip into the 4 square holes in the plinth areas where the horns  sit. Not sure what screws into them, I didn't strip the car down? The square hole size is I think 1/2 inch. I can't seem to find any reference in the Moss catalogue. There are similar spire nuts in the body used to attach the front light buckets, but these are 7/16 square hole, Moss part No FC2804.

Thanks

Rich 

Hi Roger, love to but can't seem to master adding pictures. I choose and drag the picture, 3.1mb, only to be too large and fails although under the 4.8mb limit?:mellow:

Help

Rich 

FC2805 is the next size up.

See here  https://www.canleyclassics.com/standard-triumph-hardware-catalogue-fix-nut-simmonds-sno-type/  

Canley Classics offer them for sale   https://www.canleyclassics.com/standard-triumph-hardware-catalogue-fix-nut-simmonds-sno-type/

I have no idea what will screw to them.  I can only think of 3 holes all with 1/4 unf cage nuts in that area.  2 for horn attachment and 1 for the top valance stay

I wait to be educated.

Cheers

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Hi Rich, I don't think to square holes are used for anything, on the leading edge of the bracket are three 1/4"UNF sort of rivinuts into which the forward stay and the little triangular plate that supports the horn are screwed, but the square holes are just there to make the car lighter!!

Cheers Rob

1 hour ago, Z320 said:

On the right side of my TR there is the horn relais fixed, if I realized that correct.

Guess the screws are sheet metal screws.

Ah yes, that's right, .... my car is under covers ATM and I only looked at the nearside, ...  the horn relay is fixed on the offside of a right hand drive car.

Hi Rich et all - have gone and checked one of my unrestored 4A shells and taken some photos. The empty square holes exist on the nearside, but on the offside they are indeed filled with a smallish spire nut, which hold the horn relay in place - they are very similar I think to the ones which hold the headlamp bowl into the front panel. The other holes are threaded and as already stated, are the fixings for the the horn bracket and stay bar.

If you can't get the correct spire nuts, then I don't see why you can't use a small nut and bolt with a large washer on the underneath.

Hopefully photos will help but I apologise for my cr-p camera work!!

cheers Rich

IMG_3034 - Resized.JPG

IMG_3035 - Resized.JPG

IMG_3037 - Resized.JPG

IMG_3038 - Resized.JPG

On my TR4A LHD, looking from behind in the direction of driving

P1150788-b.JPG.5018abb531298e4399276a6b35e7c62c.JPG

From the book "Collector's Guide" from Graham Robson, also a LHD TR4A, looking drom left to right

P1150790-b.JPG.929bc7bced8fc061db8edab2f85ce55f.JPG

Edited by Z320

Thanks all. I get it now. The RH side is for the 4a additional relay. The LH side has 2 square hole not used. Another problem solved. More to come no doubt as having not taken the car apart and being my first 4a its a bit of a puzzle sometimes.

Thanks

Rich 

Hi Rich,

the square holes are there by accident - more or less.

If you have a close look you realize this coach builders have been VERY wise guys. Why?

This bracket, as a plain sheet of metal, is 100% the same on the LH and RH!

Bend it for one side, for the other side "mirror" it and bend it the other way round.

So you got 2 different brackets for LH and RH from 100% exactly the same sheet of metal.

With 2 not needed square holes on one side.

There is another bracket on the TR4A (and up to the TR6) that causes questions because of 2 "not needed" drills for this reason:

the one welded on the frame for the front axle. It's the same bracket on both sides of the car - but you need only 2 of the 4 drills.

The ones on the front on one side are at the rear on the other side.

Ciao, Marco

Edited by Z320