Diff output seals 4A

Whilst replacing the diff bridge on the 4A I decided to replace the seals on the diff which had sprung minor leaks.

Input flange seal simple enough.

Output flanges less willing to come off.

Undo the 4 nuts and the whole output shaft complete with bearings comes out. Undo the big flange nut but the flange won't come off (even with a puller)  Getting it pressed off proving tricky in the shutdown so no access to a press.

Any tips?

Should I crank up the hub puller and apply heat?

Should I try and get the bearings off the shaft to access the seal even if it sacrifices the bearings?

Im sure Roger ( Hogarth) has a solution to this - something like bolting both units front to front and then tightening the bolts but he's complaining of brain fade at the moment in the next post on here so it might take him a little while to get into gear!!!!!

Roger - where are you!

cheers Rich

Hi Andy, no problem with my magic 4 bolt method. Done it several times, The trick is remove the big nuts, bolt the flanges back to back and tighten the bolts until they break free. However this only works if you use very strong non stretch bolts. I use 4 x 3/8 unf  big end bolts ex an MGA engine, slightly modified heads, and its no problem. Once one side is done place a spacer between the flanges and do it again.

If you want to borrow the 4 bolts I have just PM me and I will send them to you.

Rich. 

23 hours ago, rcreweread said:

Im sure Roger ( Hogarth) has a solution to this - something like bolting both units front to front and then tightening the bolts but he's complaining of brain fade at the moment in the next post on here so it might take him a little while to get into gear!!!!!

Roger - where are you!

cheers Rich

I’m claiming credit for this idea post-9473-0-89147100-1498316594_thumb.jpg

Used the same method, but never had success with other than the bolts as I described, ie: high tensile big end bolts that don't stretch! Rich