Spin on oil filter

I have the K&N 2009, goed idea to rotate the adapter, but vertical (preferred) is not possible. See remarks in parallel post running currently.

Gasket sets can be obtained for the adapter, good moment to renew all 3.

Waldi

I too use the k&n hp2009 filter, decent quality and has a nut on the end to aid removal !

27 minutes ago, Steves_TR6 said:

I too use the k&n hp2009 filter, decent quality and has a nut on the end to aid removal !

The key point in my view is to make sure the filter that you use has an anti drain valve fitted and is in the vertical position as all ready stated.

Bruce.

17 minutes ago, astontr6 said:

The key point in my view is to make sure the filter that you use has an anti drain valve fitted and is in the vertical position as all ready stated.

Bruce.

If you do us a long filter like the HP2009 you will not be able to have it in a vertical position without it being below the chassis. Take it as close as you can to vertical, just no to far. 

Edited by Cameron

Hi all

Thanks for replying.  I guess that the PO made this horizontal so as to give easier access or make sure its clear of the slave clutch cylinder.  The advise though is to make it is as vertical as possible right?

I have found the oil filter mentioned https://landberg.dk/kn-hp-2009-oliefilter-p8819?gclid=CjwKCAjwguzzBRBiEiwAgU0FTy76DtFG-fWmw5NI2YhXSOI_sIwlUiW2aVx6mz0iz6j6bFmaKG0ywRoCXfgQAvD_BwE

Where can I get the gaskets from for the spin on??

Rich

1 hour ago, Cameron said:

If you do us a long filter like the HP2009 you will not be able to have it in a vertical position without it being below the chassis. Take it as close as you can to vertical, just no to far. 

I found anything longer than 100mm interferes with the clutch slave cylinder and pipe. Also there's a protrusion on the engine that gets in the way as you angle a longer filter forwards, hence it ends up more horizontal.

I've resorted to the shorter Mann W712/43 which fits OK.

Daz

1 minute ago, AarhusTr6 said:

OK thanks

Excuse please my thickness, but the K&N filter, its just a spin on to my adaptor right and would come with a gasket?

Rich

Hi Rich, yes there is a rubber seal with the filter.

Daz

So long as the filter is as vertical as possible (mine is the longest I could get and it is only a few degrees off the perpendicular), it is not necessary for it to have a non return valve. The oil cannot drain back “up hill”.

I have operated on this basis for well over 100,000. miles with no problems.

Cheers Allan

Rich,

Moss sell the 3 gaskets as a kit. The modern filters have their own gasket off course.

Waldi

Hi Rich,

here is a direct link to the Moss gasket set. I mentioned earlier there are 3 gaskets, but there are actually 4 gaskets in the set. 
regards,

Waldi

https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/seal-set-filter-adaptor-tt12861.html

On 3/25/2020 at 11:54 AM, Allan Jezzard said:

So long as the filter is as vertical as possible (mine is the longest I could get and it is only a few degrees off the perpendicular), it is not necessary for it to have a non return valve. The oil cannot drain back “up hill”.

I have operated on this basis for well over 100,000. miles with no problems.

Cheers Allan

Hi Allen,

Its not only the oil stored in the filter but also the  stored in the oil gallery  and there is quite a lot of it, if there is no non return valve the oil gallery will drain down! I once had a problem where I had left my car unused for over 10 months and I could not get oil pressure until I had back filled the oil gallery. That might be why Moss & others always said use a filter with a non return valve.

Bruce.

Yes, you should find it, the valve is normally closed, so if it would not be installed all oil would return straight to the oil pan.

Waldi