Where has this Disaster Come From?

My forumite colleagues, I have some questions;

Firstly, one for me; What do I know about Covid-19?
It's a virus.
It originated in China.
It's a real ba5tard.
That's about it.

I know that the Flu is avian in origins and that measles came to us via cattle.

But, Covid-19 is, for me, an unknown quantity
Which, if any, animal type did it jump from?
Is it man made (God forbid)?

Any conspiracy theories out there that can be made to fit our situation?

As far as I can recall, SARS came  from bats ( Google Chinese bat soup)

Covid 19 is supposed to have come from Pangolin (Scaly badger type animal). Highly prized for Chinese medicine.

Ironic really that this medicine will kill 1/2 the population on this planet.

Again as far as I can recall, the Chinese Govt was going to stop these live animal markets, but that fell by the wayside and genre we are again but a helluva lot worse.

48 minutes ago, Crawfie said:

Ironic really that this medicine will kill 1/2 the population on this planet

'Alarm and despondency' Crawfie !

At present it looks as though more than 99% will survive it - many won't even catch it.

1 hour ago, Crawfie said:

Covid 19 is supposed to have come from Pangolin (Scaly badger type animal). Highly prized for Chinese medicine.

Again as far as I can recall, the Chinese Govt was going to stop these live animal markets, but that fell by the wayside and genre we are again but a helluva lot worse.

The Pangolin got it from the bats.

There is no problem munching on bats except that they are not farmed  under control but simply gathered form the local jungle. This is not a good idea.

Roger

Yep - fingers crossed for all on the forum, a goodly percentage of whom are in the higher-risk category.

Just as well I did a long drive in the TR yesterday. Looks like I won't get the chance again for some time.

1 hour ago, Crawfie said:

13 minutes ago, RogerH said:

The Pangolin got it from the bats.

There is no problem munching on bats except that they are not farmed  under control but simply gathered form the local jungle. This is not a good idea.

Roger

Thanks both.

Is the source being bats scientifically confirmed, or from the Chinese gov't/scientifc community?

I only ask because neither the Chinese or Russians are not known for their penchant for the truth

2 minutes ago, RobH said:

Yep - fingers crossed for all on the forum, a goodly percentage of whom are in the higher-risk category.

Just as well I did a long drive in the TR yesterday. Looks like I won't get the chance again for some time.

Yes, watched BoJo on the TV at 20.30hr, it looks like we are in lockdown in all but name

John - No idea if this is correct or not, but this is one conspiracy theory sent by a former colleague:-

Impact of coronavirus on stock exchanges worldwide, within 1 month:

US -26%
GB -26%
CA -25%
BR -27%
RU -20%
AE -19%
ZA -16%
Au -24%
IN-14%
SG -17%
HK -12%
KR- 17%

Now, look at this:

CN (China) + 0,3%

China, creator of the pandemic, has miraculously "recovered", has almost no more cases of coronavirus. The world is now beginning to feel the effects and panic about the disease. Who recovered first ?? China itself! It seems to be that this virus was a move by the Chinese government in response to the loss of the trade war with the United States. The goal: to throw the world into recession !!!
Is the scenario not clear? They are already growing! China bought almost everything it devalued on the stock exchanges around the world ... with that the Chinese became owners of the global companies that are in China and without the money leaving China.

Personally I don't subscribe to this theory, but it is interesting if the facts are correct
Ian

Edited by cvtrian
11 hours ago, cvtrian said:

John - No idea if this is correct or not, but this is one conspiracy theory sent by a former colleague:-

Impact of coronavirus on stock exchanges worldwide, within 1 month:

US -26%
GB -26%
CA -25%
BR -27%
RU -20%
AE -19%
ZA -16%
Au -24%
IN-14%
SG -17%
HK -12%
KR- 17%

Now, look at this:

CN (China) + 0,3%

China, creator of the pandemic, has miraculously "recovered", has almost no more cases of coronavirus. The world is now beginning to feel the effects and panic about the disease. Who recovered first ?? China itself! It seems to be that this virus was a move by the Chinese government in response to the loss of the trade war with the United States. The goal: to throw the world into recession !!!
Is the scenario not clear? They are already growing! China bought almost everything it devalued on the stock exchanges around the world ... with that the Chinese became owners of the global companies that are in China and without the money leaving China.

Personally I don't subscribe to this theory, but it is interesting if the facts are correct
Ian

This is what really ticks me off

We don't know.

As the ones who generate, or have helped generate, the value of everything, we are being manipulated more now than ever before.

If it'snot the Chinese, it's the Russians, the yanks or our own damned politicians.

I could become a revolutionary

I don't think it really matters where it came from now John - it's where it is going that counts. 

4 hours ago, Peter Cobbold said:

It's nonsense, genetic manipulations leave tell-tale manmade sequences, which are not present in either form of the virus.

Oh Peter.....

Or, ... Ah Peter, lucky we’ve got your expertise here......

One of my Pals in France - Not qualified at all in all this but, strongly opinionated none the less - is absolutely convinced this was man made in China basis “they have a research laboratory in Wuhan” ......... Enough said?

11 minutes ago, Tony_C said:

Oh Peter.....

One of my Pals in France - Not qualified at all in all this but, strongly opinionated none the less - is absolutely convinced this was man made in China basis “they have a research laboratory in Wuhan” ......... Enough said?

Hi Tony,

that one has been going around for a couple of weeks - even the Chinese wouldn't do this.

Roger

23 minutes ago, Tony_C said:

Oh Peter.....

Yes TonyC it stands to reason, the Chinese have a more aged society than many in the West, ...so they develop a virus that is spectacularly good at knocking off the older more challenged members of society...err theirs, ? and they have a medical system that's not as sophisticated as those as many in Western society so it kills more of their own people ?   It all becomes clear now, enough said ? ...Jesus Wept.

Mick Richards

7 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Hi Tony,

that one has been going around for a couple of weeks - even the Chinese wouldn't do this.

Roger

Hi Roger, just to x-check.... are you qualified at all in all this or, strongly opinionated none the less.............?

(Don’t get upset and or take it all wrong... you know I’m only up to mischief

7 minutes ago, RogerH said:

38 minutes ago, Tony_C said:

Oh Peter.....

And so have we, Porton Down, as have most developed nations. And its only a 12 hour flight to Wuhan to release it. Its fake news,

Edited by Peter Cobbold
15 minutes ago, Tony_C said:

Hi Roger, just to x-check.... are you qualified at all in all this or, strongly opinionated none the less.............?

(Don’t get upset and or take it all wrong... you know I’m only up to mischief

Hi Tony,

I am very lucky I have no knowledge - either qualified or not  - and thus I am untethered in spouting whatever clap trap society is waiting for.

Roger

20 minutes ago, Motorsport Mickey said:

Yes TonyC it stands to reason, the Chinese have a more aged society than many in the West, ...so they develop a virus that is spectacularly good at knocking off the older more challenged members of society...err theirs, ? and they have a medical system that's not as sophisticated as those as many in Western society so it kills more of their own people ?   It all becomes clear now, enough said ? ...Jesus Wept.

Mick Richards

Hey Mick,

Might be an idea to read properly first and understand irony before steaming in....?

That said, now you have started, further your response.... Yes, just possibly if I was a despot ruler of a totalitarian regime running a stay in power whatever the cost policy... “get rid of the old bugg@*s .... Thinking of it any one read (and understood) ‘Animal Farm?

Again, as per my initial post on here “Peter, lucky we’ve got your expertise here” .. And to Roger - with copy all.. Don’t get upset and or take it all wrong... you know I’m only up to mischief

Have a good evening

Tony out

On a bit of a tangent this was an interesting watch 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0blmn5l/the-flu-that-killed-50-million

perhaps Mr Trump should have watched this before pointing fingers ! 

18 minutes ago, Tony_C said:

Hey Mick,

Might be an idea to read properly first and understand irony before steaming in....?

That said, now you have started, further your response.... Yes, just possibly if I was a despot ruler of a totalitarian regime running a stay in power whatever the cost policy... “get rid of the old bugg@*s .... Thinking of it any one read (and understood) ‘Animal Farm?

Again, as per my initial post on here “Peter, lucky we’ve got your expertise here” .. And to Roger - with copy all.. Don’t get upset and or take it all wrong... you know I’m only up to mischief

Have a good evening

Tony out

Hi Tony,

I think some of the post are very entertaining.

Roger

Although the idea of this being deliberate is of course nonsense, the trap may just be just a little less clap than you think.

It is acknowledged fact that the Wuhan lab was working on bat-borne corona viruses and even Nature ran an article in 2017 on the hazards posed by the lab and the possibility of a pathogen escaping ( though they have subsequently added a rider saying there is 'no evidence' for  the 'unverified theory' of it being the source of  CV19 ).

https://www.nature.com/news/inside-the-chinese-lab-poised-to-study-world-s-most-dangerous-pathogens-1.21487

Nonetheless it is not entirely beyond possibility that something escaped containment accidentally. That sort of thing has happened before - remember the 2007 foot-and-mouth leak from that lab at Pirbright?