Loose Oil Pump Drive Gear

Found the drive gear on the oil pump/distributor shaft is loose (rotates a few degrees).  The gear for the PI metering unit is fine.  I see the main suppliers still stock replacement Mills pins, so is this a common problem? 

I assume that the pin should be driven out with a small punch (tapping on the end of the pin which still has a slightly conical end).  I will try to support the gear to avoid damage, but any other advice?

Can I expect to find wear on the pin, or a slightly enlarged hole in the shaft? If the latter, then any suggestions as to how to remove the slop?                         

56 minutes ago, ed_h said:

Use a spring roll pin instead of the Mills pin. The "spring" will take up the slop.

Ed

SDC12868a.JPG

I think a sprung roll pin is sound advice. The only problem I see is that if the gear has been moving a few degrees on the shaft for some time, the holes on the gear could be slightly out of round and slightly larger than in the pin itself. I would say re-drilling both with a slightly larger pin might be a better solution.

Kevin

Edited by boxofbits

The gear on mine was loose, too, but the holes didn't appear to be oversized.  The spring pin in its relaxed state is a little larger than the holes.  It can expand into a hole that may be slightly oversized.  In my case, the pin tightened up the joint very well.  If it hadn't, I might have tried a larger pin or something else.

Ed