Any gardeners out there ?

I have, in a pot , a fir tree which my daughter potted @ 15 years ago. The tree is around 8' tall and in need of putting  into the ground.

My question is will I need to remove pot completely or could  I get away with chopping the bottom off and letting the roots do their own thing ?

I would dig the hole pot size.

The pot is quite large and heavy. 

Edited by Crawfie
Spelling check

it would be best to totally remove the pot to give the roots best chance of establishing in the ground 

Cautionary note:

Check what type of fir tree as the wrong one could seriously damage you foundations.

Also with a tree in a pot that long it will be pot bound and the roots need to be opened out form the ball they will be in. if you don't it may whether away and certainly not be stable. Use a fork to tease the roots apart and spread them as you plant it. Get some help to hold it. Depending on your area it would be wise to put a stake to support it till roots establish.

Rod

Respect to Crawfie, but more important, anything I can plant now, that will nourish me in the months to come?

Can I cut up potatoes (see "The Martian") and plant those in the expectation of spuds later?

You can do that John but you need to let them 'chit' before planting. Put them somewhere frost-free and in the light (and where rodents cant get at them) until they sprout. 

https://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/grow-plants/can-i-cut-large-seed-potatoes-in-half/

Edited by RobH
3 hours ago, Rodbr said:

Cautionary note:

Check what type of fir tree as the wrong one could seriously damage you foundations.

Also with a tree in a pot that long it will be pot bound and the roots need to be opened out form the ball they will be in. if you don't it may whether away and certainly not be stable. Use a fork to tease the roots apart and spread them as you plant it. Get some help to hold it. Depending on your area it would be wise to put a stake to support it till roots establish.

Rod

Thanks Rod.

The tree will be about 30 ' from the back door. Is that far way enough ?

I have plenty of garden stakes.

Going to be a large hole, but worth it .

If you can also check for proximity to drains as tree roots seek out drains and throttle them double quick time and 30 foot should be OK. it would also be worth topping out the tree to limit vertical growth.  i.e. cutting the  MAIN STEM only and then trim lower branches to keep the shape. It will fill in over time believe me. looks like **** for a while but you need to do this before it gets too high. Be aware that if it gets too high and blocks out your neighbour's light or view  it can and does cause serious issues viz a viz friendships and coopoeration..

4 minutes ago, Rodbr said:

If you can also check for proximity to drains as tree roots seek out drains and throttle them double quick time and 30 foot should be OK. it would also be worth topping out the tree to limit vertical growth.  i.e. cutting the  MAIN STEM only and then trim lower branches to keep the shape. It will fill in over time believe me. looks like **** for a while but you need to do this before it gets too high. Be aware that if it gets too high and blocks out your neighbour's light or view  it can and does cause serious issues viz a viz friendships and coopoeration..

Got it !

Thanks Rod

Hi Crawfie,.......... I really wanted to help but Gardner I ain’t .......... However, further the above, I do know the small fir trees (albeit different looking needles to yours) we had 20 years ago at the bottom of the garden when we moved in are now monsters....... Quote of over GBP 2k to get them out!........

From a non expert gardener perspective but, experience................ If you are determined to plant the damn thing......... do it in your daughters Garden!

Cheers

Tony oily- not green - fingers

35 minutes ago, Tony_C said:

Hi Crawfie,.......... I really wanted to help but Gardner I ain’t .......... However, further the above, I do know the small fir trees (albeit different looking needles to yours) we had 20 years ago at the bottom of the garden when we moved in are now monsters....... Quote of over GBP 2k to get them out!........

From a non expert gardener perspective but, experience................ If you are determined to plant the damn thing......... do it in your daughters Garden!

Cheers

Tony oily- not green - fingers

Tony,

That could be a problem at the moment........she lives in a second floor flat with a little veranda !

But your point  is a valid one......might look at a bigger pot !