Zinc Electroplating & Passivation

Hi all

Being stuck at home and bored and instructed "No noise its Mothers Day" or else I thought I give my plating kit a go.

Given me some lovely bright zinc plated bits and bobs. The trouble I is when it comes to dipping them into the yellow Passivate after a Nitric Acid dip/wash. The yellow adheres but rubs off tried clear first as instructed in the kit no difference same result.

Any plating gurus out there with a suggestion as to what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks

Andy

Andy--

I've noticed that if I leave the part in the chromate too long, the coating can rub off. For my bath, about 10 seconds does it. Also, the wet coating can be a little fragile. I bake it at about 140 degF for half an hour.

This is for a home brew chromate passivate, so YMMV.

Ed

Thanks Ed 

Had another go this afternoon, put a thicker layer of zinc on the parts, washed, cleaned with brake cleaner then 30sec in the chromate and a final wash. Seemed to "stick" a lot better and give an even coat. Going to let them air dry for a couple of days and see how they turn out.

IMG_0003.jpg