Gearbox or release bearing noise?

I’ve started to get the “whirring” noise from the gearbox/clutch area that indicates either worn lay shaft bearings ( shouldn’t be as mr Cox upgraded them only 4-5,000 miles ago) or release bearing noise (replaced at the same time as gearbox)

the noise goes away as soon as the clutch is depressed which usually silences both problems.

how can I narrow it down to one or the other without taking the ‘box out?

as always, any advice appreciated.

thanks

simon

Have you made sure the dowels are in gearbox to engine flange?, makes the alignment correct.

If you pull the clutch lever back into the slave, while the engine is running, does the noise stop, that would indicate its the release bearing. The release bearing should be stopped then.

John

Hi Simon,

looks like a release bearing.
The main bearing at the input shaft in "good quality" is very expensive, so it is tempting for rebuilders to use a cheaper version, but that you can rule that out, given the excellent reputation of the rebuilder (although I have never met him;) )

Good tips from John above to be sure, the GB input shaft is still revving but the RB is at stand still.

Cheers,
Waldi

13 hours ago, simonjrwinter said:

I’ve started to get the “whirring” noise from the gearbox/clutch area that indicates either worn lay shaft bearings ( shouldn’t be as mr Cox upgraded them only 4-5,000 miles ago) or release bearing noise (replaced at the same time as gearbox)

the noise goes away as soon as the clutch is depressed which usually silences both problems.

how can I narrow it down to one or the other without taking the ‘box out?

as always, any advice appreciated.

thanks

simon

The Gear Box Guru is not infallible he was caught out on poor quality layshafts for years! It was not until Moss supplied me with one and I had it tested for hardness and discovered that they were soft ( it failed my file test ) as per Roger Williams book and I had a big ruck with Moss, that they did something about it. They had sold 48 soft ones into the market from that batch, the Essex boys seem to be the big suffers. The way to check is to drive the car in first, second, and third gears if you hear the whirring/whining in those gears but then disappears in fourth as it is direct drive through the gearbox but does not disappear its the layshaft, the bearings have gone through the surface layer! Also did you use a genuine RHP clutch release bearing as there are look a likes, that are of poor quality?

Bruce.

Hi, 

sounds to me the release bearing does not run with the clutch but also has not enough gap to it to get free.

What about when you add a pulling spring like on the TR2-4A to get it free,

or add a pulling spring in the other direktion the get it safe in contact with the clutch.

You can test this in a minute manual with the car on a pit.

Which slave cylinder is on the car? 

Ciao, Marco

Marco,

I assumed this is for a TR6, since in the TR6 section.

My understanding is the spring inside the bottom of the slave cylinder keeps a (small) pre-load on the release bearing (and reduces required travel of the clutch pedal).

Cheers,

Waldi

Waldi, you are absolutely right!

Well explained in one sentence for the TR6 and therefore a " like" from me!

But does Simon have the correct slave cylinder on his TR, is really a spring inside and is it working?

Easy to check by hand from a pit.

Let me add, this is exactly the other way on the 4 cylinder TRs:

there a strong spring pulls the release bearing away from the clutch

Edited by Z320