17 minutes ago, michaeldavis39 said:

What alternator model is this please as I am trying to work out if it is up to the job for my TR6. I'm guessing it's a ACR 16 as there is a mark next to the 16 but I don't know for sure hence the question. 

Michael

IMG_20200321_132702.jpg

Hi Michael,

I am not an expert on this but the usual method is to see what the thickness of the Stator is . You show no side view of your alternator? if the stator is a thin type it will be a 15 ACR, which in my and experience s/b an 18ACR as fitted to US TRs. That type of alternator keeps the voltage and current up at the pump where 15 ACR does not!

Bruce.

Yes looks like a 16ACR (34 Amp output at 6000rpm if it's a genuine Lucas) .  It would be considered a bit weedy now but whether it is adequate depends on what electrical extras you have fitted. 

The original ratings were 15ACR - 28A, 16ACR - 34A, 17ACR - 36A, 18ACR - 45A,  all at 6000 revs so less at lower speeds.   Most of the modern look-alike replacements are available with higher output capability. 

Edited by RobH

I'm converting from Stromberg carbs to Lucas Pi, fitting fogs front and rear along with a radio. On original car the wipers were extremely slow if the headlights were on- couldn't see much with headlights either even on full beam so a new wiring harness and now going through the electricals to make this a safer car. 

Michael

More current needed for the fuel pump then, so if it's already struggling you will need a bigger one.  You could probably use the 16ACR if you converted to LED headlamp bulbs though. 

As I said above, the output at lower revs is less - as you can see from this typical curve it drops off quite a bit so you could need a bigger alternator than you might think.  An alternator rated at  34 A might only give 17 at 2000revs.  

alt.jpg.d0cd370c31f2790f66e88b28de31d38d.jpg

I bought a new not reconditioned 18acr from Midland sports and classics on ebay in 2017 for about £40 and it has worked perfectly since.

hth

steve

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F123392555872

Edited by Steves_TR6