Rear Crossmember Height and Differential Angle

Evening All - 

I have the body bolted on the chassis, and have a potential concern regarding the rear chassis cross-member height and differential angle. The rear cross-member and uprights were replaced by the previous owner before I took on the project. Does anyone know what the correct dimensions are for the points shown in the photo below? In addition what is the dimension from the front differential mounting plate where the pin protrudes to chassis. The body is rubbing against the rear edge of the cross member in the inner wheel arch area. The angle of the differential looks strange and the top body mounting plates are not level. I currently have a single shim under each main mounting point on the floor pans, a single shim on each body mount on top of the rear cross-member, and two shims at the very rear of the chassis to achieve the required gaps at the back of the doors. The differential fits on all four mounting pins ok, and the rear differential cross-member is original. To me it looks like it needs to be shortened. 

Thanks.604808794_Picture2.jpg.667bae989b9d23c52078508510479472.jpg

Picture 3.jpg

Hi - aren't the rear rubber mountings on your diff upside down - I thought the domed bit was supposed to face downwards on the bottom?

If I've got it wrong, it wont be the first time today so I might give up and I had some broccoli AND spinach for supper!

AS for the front bridge, that doesn't look right - not only is it  possible too high but it looks like its canted over too much towards the front - I can take some easuremts tomorrow off a 4 A chassis if that would be any good

Cheers Rich

Hi Roger -

I took a quick look at the workshop manual. If I got the dimensions right, then the bridge is showing slightly high. The manual doesn't really show any measurements to the body mount plates on top of the cross-member. One thing - is that the body-mount plates show level in the manual,  and mine are inclined which isn't right. The challenge here is that it may have to be adjusted multidimensionally. The top may have to be changed and then the overall height reduced. However, this may also change the angle of the mounting pins. It would be interesting to know what the distance between the chassis and bottom outer corner of the diff front mounting yoke is. I bolted the rear arms on and both springs align top and bottom.

Regards,

Martin