Rear spring adjustment

Is there a way to improve the ride height at the back without removing/replacing the rear springs. ?

My car is too low and the exhaust hits the speed bumps. There is no space between the wing edge and the top of the tyre when looking straight on from the side. The tyre is inside the wing.

Any answers would be helpful.

Thanks Richard & B

Er - don't straddle the speed bumps, drive one wheel over the top ? :ph34r:

Edited by RobH

Is there a packing piece on top of the spring between it and the axle bottom mounting face?

It will look like a short oblong plate.   If fitted it will be retained by the nut and bolt that holds all the leaves together. 

If so remove it.

To remove undo the single bottom nut once the U bolts are released and axle is disconnected.

Beyond that no method other than a leaf spring change will do it.

Cheers

Peter W

I am nervous about new springs. Where are they made and what is the quality of the steel ? My springs are Standard Triumph genuine parts. I know because they were fitted by Moores of Brighton the  ST agent in Brighton. They cut out the inner  sill to allow the spring to slide sideways, to avoid trying to move the front pin mounting. It was not until many years later that I found the resultant  secret holes in the bodywork. I got MOT's OK.  ??

I have an offer by a company in Birmingham who will reset my existing springs for about the same cost as new ones. But their price includes collection and delivery. I am house bound so that might help.

I have never had the chance to drive an Austin Healey, or an E type. I will just carry on with the TR 

Thanks Richard & B.

I have had a think about this Richard.

This is a way off, more than likely not the case but worth checking.

As I understand both sides of your car are too low, and you have a standard exhaust system - Is the too low issue a gradual problem (worn and sagging springs) or one that has been there for ages since the springs were renewed?

If it has been there for ages, can I ask you to measure the length - pip to pin - of the rear shackles that attach the spring to the chassis.  Not the length of the pin as this picture demonstrates, that is to define the pin length for spring leaf width.

image.png.4e4cd55e884f2347b339392e5df1b96d.png

Reason is that TR4A rigid axle rear spring shackles, which are longer than TR2-4, were the only ones available at one point (early  1980's).  Longer shackles lower a TR.  C&B went on to have the correct ones made in the late 1980's.  Perhaps you may have had those longer TR4A items fitted to replace rotten shorter TR3A originals.  Now that would have lowered the car.

Cheers

Peter W

PS when I get to the garage today I will measure the shackles on my TR3A and we can compare.

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

I changed my TR3 rears 30+ years ago and changed them again last year. They were soggy and the ride height was wrong - very noticeable when in a line of other side-screens.

Removing the top packing piece (if fitted) does not fix soggy springs, the ride height may improve but the spring rate will still be wrong and the shocks will be working too hard.

I fitted a pair from TRGB, ride and height are now restored and very pleased with improvement in road manners. All said, I am not happy with the leaf clasps, these are not folded tightly around the leaves as the originals were. I understand that this is "normal" and as a result of compromise springs being sold to suit all models but I'll be keeping a close eye on leaf positions.

Good luck getting the front pins out.

ps.. if you do order new springs, check to see if they are fitted with new bushes and so not order these separately. Needless to say, I now have a spare set! 

3 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

As I understand both sides of your car are too low, and you have a standard exhaust system - Is the too low issue a gradual problem (worn and sagging springs) or one that has been there for ages since the springs were renewed?

If it has been there for ages, can I ask you to measure the length - pip to pin - of the rear shackles that attach the spring to the chassis.  Not the length of the pin as this picture demonstrates, that is to define the pin length for spring leaf width.

Reason is that TR4A rigid axle rear spring shackles, which are longer than TR2-4, were the only ones available at one point (early  1980's).  Longer shackles lower a TR.  C&B went on to have the correct ones made in the late 1980's.  Perhaps you may have had those longer TR34A items fitted to replace rotten shorter TR3A originals.  Now that would have lowered the car.

Cheers

Peter W

PS when I get to the garage today I will measure the shackles on my TR3A and we can compare.

That’s a very good point Peter. I await your measurements with interest!

3 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Reason is that TR4A rigid axle rear spring shackles, which are longer than TR2-4, were the only ones available at one point (early  1980's).  Longer shackles lower a TR.  C&B went on to have the correct ones made in the late 1980's.  Perhaps you may have had those longer TR34A items fitted to replace rotten shorter TR3A originals.  Now that would have lowered the car.

Cheers

Peter W

Thanks for the help. I have measured both sides and it seems to be 2 1/2" inches centre to centre.

7 hours ago, Richardtr3a said:

Thanks for the help. I have measured both sides and it seems to be 2 1/2" inches centre to centre.

I have one pair of used  leaf springs (ex my TR2  - KVY 92) with shackles fitted on the spares rack. 

The shackles are same as yours at  2 1/2"  centre to centre. 

I have never renewed those shackles since getting the car in 1971 but one of the springs was renewed and came from Pete Buckles at Crossways Road.

So that's that idea up the Swanny then.

Cheers

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

The weekend was sunny and dry.But  I did not allow for the cold wind. I drove out of the garage and round the block, parked up and went to work on the front suspension. I managed to change both front springs for some old ones that were in the back of the garage given by a friend years ago. They measured 9.75 inches on the bench which is about 1" shorter than the Revington RTR3101F red stripe and the Moss 210903. My handbook mention left and right helix. I assume that this is the direction of the coil. Mine are left handed.

I spent a long time out in the garden and finally got both fitted. The front suspension is now level and at a satisfactory depth over the tyre.

There was a post here somewhere that explained the front springs could affect the rear ride height. This did not seem logical to me but I thought it best to try it out since I have been battling with the front springs for three years.

I had a quick look last night and a more thorough inspection this morning and the ride height at the back has changed. It is higher but could do with a bit more lift. It was very cold later in the afternoon and I even considered giving up and going back in the house. But my wife was not able to get her car out. so it had to be finished.

Is there an explanation for the rear alteration ?? 

Thanks Richard & B.

Richard, when you installed the Revington springs, you did remove the aluminium spacers didn’t you? Those springs do not use the spacers.

450lb/in. 10 1/2" free length. Application TR2-4 Front Road/Rally. Coded with one RED stripe.

Gives 155-165mm ground clearance with standard weight car. Do not use standard ally spacer on TR2-4. For spring insulators see the parts below.

Iain

Moss and RTR front springs both gave the same height. There were no spacers fitted.  I had some old springs in the garage and fitted them. 9.75" length when  not fitted.  It is now a better height. This is lower than both the other makes of springs

I am house bound but it is so cold outside that I can not spend more than 1 hour in the garage. It takes an hour to find the tools and that new part waiting to be fitted.

Thanks Richard & B.