Fuel pipe size?

The copper fuel pipe on my TR4A is 1/4" OD between the carbs but 5/16" leading up to them. Does anyone know if this is usual? Does it even matter? What size should the pipe be? I am in the process of checking and replacing the fuel lines and pump to surtout an issue with fuel supply. Thanks!

That sounds about right.

The 1/4" pipe is only feeding one carb.

feeding both carbs from the pump.

So 5/16" for 2 carbs and 1/4" for the end one    from tank to pump

Roger 

Edited by RogerH

History...according to the parts books, part numbers and originally supplied items I have had through my hands or sold when behind the counter.    So do not shoot the messenger.

TR2-3-3A-3B & some TR4 used a 5/16" tube pump to carbs. (H type carbs float chamber inlet pipes I guess is the controlling factor where push on connectors are used.)

TR4-4A, TR250, TR6 Carb models used 1/4" tube pump to carbs. (Stromberg and HS types carbs float chamber inlet pipes being the controlling factor here - all using 1/4" push on connectors)

Cheers

Peter W

22 minutes ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

History...according to the parts books, part numbers and originally supplied items I have had through my hands or sold when behind the counter.    So do not shoot the messenger.

TR2-3-3A-3B & some TR4 used a 5/16" tube pump to carbs. (H type carbs float chamber inlet pipes I guess is the controlling factor where push on connectors are used.)

TR4-4A, TR250, TR6 Carb models used 1/4" tube pump to carbs. (Stromberg and HS types carbs float chamber inlet pipes being the controlling factor here - all using 1/4" push on connectors)

Cheers

Peter W

I have just had a quick measure and that is what I have fitted.  1/4" pipe from pump to all carbs

5/16" from tank to pump

Sorry for the rubbish above

Roger

OK, got it. Couldn't quite figure out why I had one piece of 5/16" ID rubber pipe being used to meet 5/16" OD copper pipe from pump at one end and 1/4" OD connector at first carb. So, I'll swap 5/16" pipe from pump to carbs for 1/4". Beginning to feel like the Danny Kaye, pellet with the poison sketch there for a moment! Thanks again.

• 1 year later...

Replacing fuel line along chassis- I have a TR4A 1966 where the copper fuel line from the tank (joined to tank fitting by short rubber hose jubilee clipped) runs through the chassis in a rubber hose)just below the diff mount and then out on to the opposite side of the chassis that the brake lines run along. Is this normal, all the posts I have read don't seem to mention this set up. Also I am finding it very difficult to pull the fuel through- have not used brute force yet. I have all the other pipes off. Anybody have any comments on this set up.

i can only find a pictorial representation on the Moss website which appears different to mine

gareth

On 3/19/2020 at 4:50 PM, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Cheers

Peter W

Peter,

Sorry to go back to this but I have 5/16 copper from the pump up to the carbs, but the inlet on the first float chamber is only 1/4, so have to really squeeze the rubber pipe up with a Jubilee clip. When the factory changed to push on rubber connectors did they reduce the diameter of the pipe from the pump, or have I got the wrong lid on the float chamber. Or did they use a stepped (reducing) rubber connector ?.

Ralph.

12 hours ago, Gareth Davies said:

Replacing fuel line along chassis- I have a TR4A 1966 where the copper fuel line from the tank (joined to tank fitting by short rubber hose jubilee clipped) runs through the chassis in a rubber hose)just below the diff mount and then out on to the opposite side of the chassis that the brake lines run along. Is this normal, all the posts I have read don't seem to mention this set up. Also I am finding it very difficult to pull the fuel through- have not used brute force yet. I have all the other pipes off. Anybody have any comments on this set up.

i can only find a pictorial representation on the Moss website which appears different to mine

gareth

Front to back fuel line should be a short section of solid (steel or copper) pipe from the tank then a short rubber pipe to the main chassis pipe which should be solid up to the engine compartment where there is a short flexible pipe to the pump.

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart- does run through the chassis at the back or over it in some way? Pity I cannot find a photo or a good line diagram to help me- never done this on TR before

Also. I want to insert a fuel filter somewhere. The one fitted to mine ( a retro fit  I suppose was on the line along the chassis near the front. I will probably try an fit it in the engine bay somewhere

many thanks

gareth

1 hour ago, Gareth Davies said:

Thanks Stuart- does run through the chassis at the back or over it in some way? Pity I cannot find a photo or a good line diagram to help me- never done this on TR before

Also. I want to insert a fuel filter somewhere. The one fitted to mine ( a retro fit  I suppose was on the line along the chassis near the front. I will probably try an fit it in the engine bay somewhere

many thanks

gareth

The Moss catalogue gives you a good idea of where it goes, If you tank is good and your fuel pump has the gauze in the bowl inlet then there shouldnt be any need for a filter, plastic ones are rubbish anyway and dont last long as well as being a fire risk if not sensibly located.

Stuart.