Best Woodrim Steering Wheel

Have you tried one?

As Cameron says, many of us find them too thin to be comfortable and can be slippery (= dangerous). Don't want to put you off, but you need to know.

Jerry

I don't mind the harder wood surface, but also think that many of the offerings are too thin.  They feel too delicate or something for the masculine looking car.  The wheel on my six right now is even a little fatter than stock.

Ed

IMG_0909a.JPG

IMHO Motolita make the best classic steering wheels, though such quality isn't cheap.

I have a 14" leather rimmed wheel in my TR6, in the thicker leather rim gives good grip for the muscular steering input sometimes required with a TR.

I've just fitted a wood rim Motolita to my Spitfire Mk3. The thinner rim suits the lighter, more delicate feel of the Spit and the wood looks good on the early models of Spit (or an early TR), again in my opinion.

Nigel

All good points I've not considered and the TR6 does need a bit of muscle to hustle it along so the thicker rim with grip certainly makes sense, just found a inside picture of mine, its wood rimmed but pretty thick so whilst its not period it seems a good option to stay with and ill save the cash towards some stainless bumpers........

2016-07-16 16.20.23.jpg

My 6 had what I assume to be the original wheel when I purchased it but I now have a wooden Motolita wheel fitted.

The Motolita was a big birthday present from the guys at work and gratefully received. looks well but I prefer the feel of the original wheel which I have kept to be recovered when other jobs don't take priority.

Wooden wheel ...leather gloves required...might be a bit warm when summer eventually arrives.

Phil

29.jpg

47.jpg

Another vote for Motolita wheels mine’s a 14” leatherACB5233F-160E-40DC-96C7-8D601574D10B.thumb.jpeg.ab5340822fd744e198d9f2097198914a.jpeg

I think the wider low profile tyres fitted to a lot of TR's are the source of heavy steering. When I went to 165's the steering became nice and light. 

Smaller steering wheels also make it heavier, I'm running a Mota Lita 14" leather rimmed wheel. 

Gareth

If you can find an Original Formula Style Wheel they look great and where an original Option?

I found mine a bit flexy and thin on the rim though.  

Interior 2 - 2006.JPG

On 3/19/2020 at 10:39 PM, CK's TR6 said:

One on the left sitting in my garage, quilted maple. One on the right, Koa. A little fatter than stock, oval in cross section.

5D7750CC-60B7-40A7-999D-109F21CFFE3F.jpeg

01E14290-516B-411C-91A6-7A4E2032D738.jpeg

.....And the motoring world laughed at the Austin Allegro Quartic Steering Device. 

An absolute ground breaking and brave concept.  The refinement on modern cars of a curved top improves the visual appearance.

Peter W

AllegroQuartic.jpg

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
16 hours ago, Phil H 4 said:

My 6 had what I assume to be the original wheel when I purchased it but I now have a wooden Motolita wheel fitted.

The Motolita was a big birthday present from the guys at work and gratefully received. looks well but I prefer the feel of the original wheel which I have kept to be recovered when other jobs don't take priority.

Wooden wheel ...leather gloves required...might be a bit warm when summer eventually arrives.

Phil

29.jpg

47.jpg

Hello everyone. 
I have done the reverse of Phil.  I’ve taken off my motolita (which looks to be the same as Phil’s) and replaced with the original.  The original wheel covering is nicer feeling in the hand and there were too many reflections bouncing off the motolita onto the windscreen in sunny situations for my liking.  Lastly, the triumph marque badge is bigger on the original wheel compared to the motolita and that is a welcome positive in my view. 

cheers

dave

• 2 weeks later...

My one is an italian wheel by NARDI. It is not so common than the Motolita´s here in Germany but it like its much more elegant look and touch. But the main advantage for me is the longer hub and the slightly bowl shape that it gives me more room. If I would not need that room I would have stayed with the original one for sure.

CIMG0019.jpg

Edited by Casar66

Paul,

My personal opinion, is that I wouldn't fit a wood rimmed steering wheel (Moto-Lita or otherwise) for all the reasons given above, and more besides.  The Triumph design engineers didn't get too many things wrong, the TR6 steering wheels being a good example - the original CP cars had a 15" wheel which was almost perfect, albeit the 'leather' rim was a little thin but with standard 165 tires fitted it presented no problem with flex. Decent ones are rare but do pop up on eBay from time to time.

CR cars had a 14.5" rim with a slightly thicker rim and is the prefered option by many for touring (including me on my CP below) and who want the original look, it works very well with 185 or larger tires fitted.  Decent CR 14.5" are not so rare and often pop up on eBay and would be my recommendation.

49321735992_ed3db07943_k.thumb.jpg.8a715492fbf082a3b1e26dbf5a98b738.jpg

Originally would a CP car have been 15" flat or dished.

Paul

54 minutes ago, Paul J said:

Originally would a CP car have been 15" flat or dished.

Paul

Paul,

It was flat, see below.

Edit: that's not a rip on the rim, it's a cheeky fly!

Cheers, Andrew

13a.thumb.jpg.6db9077da35c0709281a2e695795de28.jpg

Edited by Andrew Smith

Thanks Andrew

Paul