Thank you for your reply well done, I was going to ask where you took the the picture but I forgot to ask, your car looks very good, I like the colour and the wheels.

I think being biased as a TR owner they look good in all most every colour, sorry but not Brown.

I can't think of any car that looks good in Brown, that is with the exception of World Rally Cars, but at least you can wash the mud of. :D

Now take for instance Ferrari's, to me they only look good in Red, if I was Ferrari I would be like Henry Ford you can have them in any colour as long as it is Red (Black). 

• 9 months later...

I'm just sorting bits for my hard top renovation and im really pleased to have found this thread. Thank you for sharing the drawings of the brackets! I was given some extreme prices for second hand ones and with this as guidance I will fabricate a set. Brilliant! 

I believe the Roadster Factory in the US stocks the mounting kit. 

Just checked...the left hand side is available, the right is NLS  part number 625311

For the pieces that attach to the A post, they are available under part number 625315

Cheers, 

Tush

Edited by M. Pied Lourd

I plan to make the side fittings which are attached to the car myself; has anybody done so? Looks like they are made from solid bar or thick-wall tube with the step (offset) forged? 

Thanks,

Waldi

Thanks JPMF and Chris,
I will attempt to make a set.
Welded seems the easiest for a dyi person, I have no torch but can do welding.

Cheers,

Waldi

7 hours ago, jacobac1 said:

Does anyone know what the thread is for the windscreen to hardtop bolts? I have an old hardtop with poor threads and no original bolts. I need to tap the captive nuts but I don't want to tap it standard and find out otherwise. I would really appreciate any information.

Definitely UNF  -   5/16 unf .

You used to be able to buy the square nut to go in the cage that is welded to the hardtop header frame, as a spare part. (NQ2708)  item 3 here  https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr5-6/weather-equipment/hard-tops/hardtop-tr6-1968-76.html

The bolt passes through a spring washer and that is GHF332 which is for a 5/16 bolt

Cheers

Peter W

image.thumb.png.665174cc96db65505b223071ba77c19c.png

• 2 weeks later...

I had the opportunity to buy a superb hardtop today so took it. It is in superb condition in nearly all respects, a 95% example.

1st question, leave it white or paint it red?

It doesn't have the side fittings as in the above photos. It is in lovely condition, solid steel, excellent windows and seals and fits snugly. I Don't think it is a reproduction but it could be.

2nd question, was there a hardtop that didn't have the side fittings? 

I just found the holes under the fabric for the bracket. Where can I buy the bracket parts? Moss Europe don't have them.

5EC6AE0E-CB5B-4329-BEEC-C010AB5E7AE8.JPG

IMG_0601.jpg

IMG_0600.jpg

IMG_0599.jpg

Edited by John McCormack

John thats a genuine BL hardtop for sure and yes it does need the side fixings. I think you could get away with a white hard top on a colour like Damson or Carmine but the red on your car, hmm no!   Looks like you got a great hardtop there though well done.

Alan

Thanks for the comments/advice.

Any leads on the brackets for the B posts? Moss Europe can’t help but others on your side of the planet might have them.

Hi John,

very nice! I have a white hard top for my signal red TR6 too, I like the combo, so plan to leave it like that for now. Each to their own.

TR Shop had a set on offer a couple of weeks ago, they may still have.

Waldi

I have tried Rimmers and TRF and neither has the bracket any more. They have the tie bar piece but the bracket is the more difficult thing to have made.

Here is a photo side on which shows it better.

1C2D20FB-E897-471A-B7EA-F99AB537C206.JPG