Brass filings in my Overdrive

Evening All

While overhauling my TR4a gearbox I've noticed some brass filings residing in the lower front section of the overdrive unit. The only brass component I can see in the immediate vicinity is the brass bush which supports the mainshaft when inserted into the overdrive, but this doesn't look particularly worn.

It might be that they have migrated in the oil flow from another part of the overdrive, so without stripping the unit which works really well, I wondered if anyone has seen this before and it's most likely origin?

Regards

Kevin

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

That's a lot...not seen that in the overdrive before but had something similar in the box when the old style top hat bush had split in two and worn itself away....

2 hours ago, Chilliman said:

That's a lot...not seen that in the overdrive before but had something similar in the box when the old style top hat bush had split in two and worn itself away....

Hi John

Funnily enough I did change the top hat bush, but not because it was worn. I changed it for a steel bush with a slightly wider thrust washer by about 0.005". The bush itself is in remarkable condition, and I cannot see any scuffing on the overdrive shaft bush. Unless its remnants from a previous repair, but would think they would've flushed it through?

Kevin

I agree - you'd certainly like to think it is not the remnants of a previous repair, I would think the next most likely candidate in the overdrive unit would be the thrust washer at the base of the uni directional clutch which can break up...?

Hi John/Tim

It looks like your diagnosis might be correct. Tim I think you may have been referring to the TR5/6 'A' type O/D as item 104, while I've been looking at the plate for the TR4a which I would think is the same item no: 66. However, the notes do bring some TRepidation!

66  THRUST WASHER

Notes: Total destruction of the thrust washer and its adjusting washers is a common occurrence, and will require skilled rectification to the casing and bushes. See less

£18.00

Kevin