New wheels and tyres.

Time to buy new wires and tyres, I was looking at moving up to 5.5J 72 spoke wires, but what tyres?

I thought 185/70s where the correct size for the rim but one quote I've recieved (cheapest deal) is fitted

with 195/65s. Looked on various sites, including here, and now I'm more puzzled. Most sites suggest

maximum size is 185  but some go on to say 195s can be fitted. What is correct?

Thoughts gratefully recieved on your opinions, go for 185/70 Vredestein or

195/65 Avon ZV7

Thanks. Pete.

195 will fit but is probably less than desirable on a 5.5 rim. The 195/65 is a good match for rolling radius to keep speedo and gear accuracy and are also cheap because they are used on a lot of moderns. I like this size with Toyo's but I run on 6 inch rims. There will be someone along in a minute to recommend the original size (165 / 80 I think). Probably depends on your wallet and expected use. With wires you need to be aware which tyres are compatible with tubes (assuming you are not running tubeless wires).

Jerry

"There will be someone along in a minute to recommend the original size (165 / 80 I think)."

I don't know if that should be me Jerry but in the absence of other recommendations so far, I'll go for them. I guess it's down to what the cars owner wants to put on it and for what purpose they think they will use it, and their pertinent experience in picking tyres for use rather than vanity. 195s are fine on 5.5 wheels for either purpose, if that's your choice.

Mick Richards

Thanks for your replies chaps, perhaps I should have supplied a bit more info.

The car is just used for pleasure and no racing or track days, although I do like to keep up with traffic. I

thought the 72 spoke wires would be a bit stronger, and vanity I guess plays a part, as it would be nice to

fill the arches a touch more. As you say Jerry, I also thought the 195s are more suited to 6 inch rims but they

are being offered on 5.5s, obviuosly it's ok, but just seeking people thoughts, experiences. Regarding the

gearing etc, from the comparison charts I've seen, I think the 185s are nearer to original, but not by much.

Also wondered if anyone had experience of the Avon and Vredestein, as to which may be the better tyre other

than by price alone. As ever, it seems the more I look into these things, the more I become confused.

Thanks again

Pete.

On 2/25/2020 at 11:39 AM, Peter V W said:

I do like the look of wider wire wheels, but wider wheels and therefore wider tyres must 

add extra load to the suspension and brackets, more grip, more load.

Steering at slow speed will Also be heavier.

Along in a minute.

I find 195s on a 5.5 inch rim a bit wobbly on the corners compared to the same size on a 6 inch rim. A lot depends on the car, and it might be less of a problem on a lighter car like a TR but they really don't suit something big and heavy like my Triumph estate which inherited a set off one of my Stags. I will be swapping those for a set of 185s when I change the tyres as there is not enough room to go up to a 6 inch rim

Neil

I ran 195/65 Michelin Pilot Exaltos on my Webered TR250 for 40K+ miles. Unimpressive performance though no issues. They are smaller in diameter than original 165/80s and at 25 psi left 1/2" of tread on each side in the air, not touching the pavement. 

Steering behavior was much improved, both lighter and crisper with 185/70 Michelin XWX which are a dead ringer for the 165/80 diameter. Grip is very good too. They do sing like their XAS brethren.

I have 6" Panasport wheels so cannot run 165s; with the 5-1/2" wheels I think the XAS in 165 has the most going for it: phenomenal grip, period cachet, captivating appearance and original fitment to some early TR6PIs if not TR5.

Some of the Vredesteins advise against cold weather use. Here are the Michelin XWX:

Tom

XWX3.JPG

Hi Pete,

You might find this 2005 article of some use:

https://mossmotors.com/media/instructions/tire_wheel sizing.pdf

My TR5 has 6" (the best I can measure with the wheels on the car) 72 spoke chrome finished wheels with 195/65 R15 tyres, which look very nice with the Royal Blue paintwork. The tyres are BF Goodrich Profiler2 tyres, which are quite old. I bought the car last August so it is how it came. I hope that this is of some help.

Denis

Peter,

My first TR6, bought in 1994, came on 205 60 15 Goodyears and it was horrible, very harsh and bounced around all over the place. Changed them for 185 70 Vredesteins and they transformed the car, much more pleasant to drive, albeit care needed in the wet. Competitively priced and very similar rolling radius to the original 165 (80) 15 factory fit tyres. I only kept that for 2 years after fitting those tyres so can't comment on durability, though with the use that most of our cars get that isn't usually a big issue.

Next came the TR5 in 1997 that I've still got. That came on 5 1/2" chrome 72 spoke wires with 165 (80) 15 Firestones. They were a bit skittish when the car was driven enthusiastically. I changed those in 1998 to 195 65 15 Yokohama A509s with inner tubes. Again the rolling radius is very similar to the original 165 15s. They filled the wheel arches more purposefully in my view and the car handled well with a decent ride. I changed those in approximately 2013/14, not for wear reasons but concerns for age related issues really. The A509s weren't available any longer but, following satisfaction with the Yokohama brand, I went for their C Drives. Couldn't tell any difference in performance and so far wear rate is good. They perform well in both dry and wet conditions.

I'm currently carrying out a full body off restoration of the TR5 after which it will be going on to original 5 1/2" steel wheels but I will have no hesitation in fitting new Yokohama 195 60 15 tyres.

Hope that helps.

Dave McD