Windscreen stanchion position

Dave,

I have a used original Stanpart scuttle in the workshop. You're welcome to borrow this if you like. Ultimately, it's for sale but I doubt you'd want to start your body repairs again! 

Obviously, you'll need to come and collect it as it's too big to post.

If you're interested, let me know.

David

Rod,  I had already spotted that, thanks.  In fact, I now have various photographs - each with lines drawn on them in a possibly over-optimistic effort to verify the fixing position.

David, thanks for your very kind offer.  Unfortunately from memory,  I think you are a long way away from me.  I wonder whether it would be possible for you to take a couple of dimensions - similar to Ralph's earlier post?  The first would be the distance from one of the guide plate fixing bolt holes (the small ones between the slots) to the rearmost point of the scuttle panel, and the second would be where a line through, say, the bottom edge of the two slots intersects the rear edge of the panel.  I don't know whether the bracket on the Dzus cars would be slightly higher than Ralph's so that the curvature of the panel compensates for the extra thickness of the guide plates.

Dave

Dave,

mine does still have the guide plates, its just that on the later cars you cannot slide the screen forward and off, even though the stanchion is machined to do so, as the 2 bolts that go through where the dzus fasteners used to be now hold the entire assembly on.

Ralph.

20200729_063454.jpg

Incidentally, on the picture I posted above, there was an additional rubber seal about 1/4" square that sat in the groove you can see on the stanchion. This does not appear on parts drawings and does not seem to be available. Was this a later addition only on these later stanchions??

Ralph.

Ah, I hadn't realised that.  I was thinking that they couldn't have changed the position too radically as hard tops would not have fitted. It seems all they actually did was make the guide plates cheaper. 

Thanks for all your help.

57 minutes ago, Ralph Whitaker said:

Incidentally, on the picture I posted above, there was an additional rubber seal about 1/4" square that sat in the groove you can see on the stanchion. This does not appear on parts drawings and does not seem to be available. Was this a later addition only on these later stanchions??

Ralph.

When I dismantled my TR3a there was no rubber seal so I didn’t put one in when I reassembled everything and that is one place that doesn’t seem to leak.

rgds Ian

1 hour ago, Ian Vincent said:

When I dismantled my TR3a there was no rubber seal so I didn’t put one in when I reassembled everything and that is one place that doesn’t seem to leak.

rgds Ian

Mike Ellis brought this up years ago on here, it was a small sponge like strip but as stated it never appears anywhere in all the parts books, I use a bit of closed cell foam.

Stuart.