Dave Herrod

Windscreen stanchion position

About seven years ago, when my tub was being repaired, the section of the scuttle which carries the stanchion mounting plates was cut out and replaced with sound metal on both sides. It had previously been bodged to the extent that the screen was twisted, and was very corroded. I am now faced with the task of re-locating the fixings on a completely plain panel.

I plan to set up the windscreen frame, and use the hard top to help locate the top, but really need some dimensions as to where the bottom of the stanchions should sit.  I would therefore be very grateful if someone (or several people and we can take an average) could measure the distance between, say, the centre of the rear fixing hole and the sharp point of the body where the top of the A post curves to meet the top of the door.  The car is a '58 TR3A, with deuz fasteners.

Many thanks in anticipation,

Dave

Hi Dave ~

Another aid to positioning your stanchions would be to fit the sidescreens to the doors inorder to get the correct rake for the stanchions.

Coupled with your hardtop this would be an ideal starting point.

Tom.

Thanks Tom, that is a really good idea - especially as I have a pair of sidescreen frames that I was going to get covered anyway. 

How far does the front of the covered sidescreen project beyond the frame?

Hi David.

If it helps I have a stanchion plate cut out section which I use when making stanchion plates. Please send me a PM giving your contact details if you want to.

I would also be happy to take a few general measurements if you think it would help. Having said that if your hard top is original I would tend to go with that, and make the side screens to fit. If all did not come off the same car they could be well out.

Regards Russell

Hi Dave ~

Sorry but I have no idea how far the sidescreen projects beyond the frame. I would assume that front of the sidescreen just touches the stanchion?

Tom.

14 hours ago, Dave Herrod said:

Thanks Tom, that is a really good idea - especially as I have a pair of sidescreen frames that I was going to get covered anyway. 

How far does the front of the covered sidescreen project beyond the frame?

Everything I have read suggests the opposite, that the side screens should be fitted to the doors last and adjusted to align with the screen stanchions. I have a 3a shell in the garage at the moment, I will get out there and take some photos with dimensions later today.

Thanks Ralph- that would be great.

As I have a shell (but with no fixing holes), the original windscreen frame, a factory hardtop (but never fitted to this car) and some bare sidescreen frames, I theoretically have the opportunity to engineer a perfect fit!

However, there is also a huge number of potential variables in putting that lot together, and  some measurements to put me in the right area to start with would be very helpful.

I'm actually looking forward to this bit, although still a few weeks off.

Dave

as promised, though it may be confusing. I started by putting a straight line (in red) through the hole centres, then measured as accurately as I could the distance up from the inside curve of the wing swage line at the bonnet end, then the distance in from the point at the door opening. I then measured in along the red line to the hole centres. I think the pics explain it, but if there  are any other measurements you require message me.

20200317_162419.jpg

Ralph,

Thank you so much for going to that much effort - all very clear, and greatly appreciated.

Dave.

FWIW the sidescreen frame sits about an inch or so behind the screen frame as there is a waste edge section of material that sticks out from the forward edge of the frame and should slot into the channel in the side of the frame.

Stuart.

Marks TR5 705.jpg

1 hour ago, stuart said:

FWIW the sidescreen frame sits about an inch or so behind the screen frame as there is a waste edge section of material that sticks out from the forward edge of the frame and should slot into the channel in the side of the frame.

Stuart.

Marks TR5 705.jpg

In some, the fit is perfect and they don't pop out at speed, in others poor. Seems some are stiffer there.

I remember that if you fiddle with alignment and adjustment in the slot type you can get a better join.

Thanks Stuart, that's what I was trying to ask!

It is going to be an interesting exercise, and nothing short of a miracle if it all lines up in the end.

Getting the sidescreens to fit properly everywhere is quite a challenge. You have to be prepared to bend the supporting steel arms to suit, as well as adjusting the position of the door fixings. The bets result is to have slight inward bias at the top, so when the door is closed, the top of the screen goes into the slot in the stanchion first, then as the door closes fully the rest of the front edge follows, & it becomes pretty jammed in !

All this while keeping the top of the screen at just the right height to fit the hood, & the rear of the screen sitting nicely against the hood also.

Bob.

And of course if you have the top too far 'bent in' you will find that you have to slam the door like b******y to get it to close.

Rgds Ian

Of course !