Tr6 handbrake cable

Hard to tell prom a picturr.

Find yourselves a magnet and you will know;)

Cheers,

Waldi

I just looked at my old original one.  It is magnetic, but that isn't definitive since some stainless steels are magnetic.  It is also rusted, which tells me it's ordinary steel.

Ed

You’re correct Ed!

Only austenitic stainless steels like 304 and 316 are not (or almost not) magnetic, although they can become magnetic in service when exposed to very high temperatures. Versions with lower Cr and Ni levels  contain more ferrite which makes it magnetic.
So the magnet test is nor conclusive.

Waldi

Hi Michael,

Yours are the same as mine. The outer metal was covered in rust but a quick run over with the wire wheel and a couple of coats of Wheel Silver and it was back in service. Did check that the inner cables were good and lubricated etc. Still going strong two years in and I'm guessing 46 years old.

Sean

Thanks Sean, my inner cable looks fine and I felt it would be a waste to buy a replacement when the existing one is still perfectly serviceable. My question was somewhat out of curiosity as I said it's hard to tell what it's made from but as it's lasted all these years I would find it hard to believe its just mild steel considering its totally exposed to the elements for the past 46 years! I tried to shine it up with a wire wheel but had no success. 

Michael

Just to give an opposing view, I'm not sure that you can pull the inner entirely from the outer to properly clean and lubricate due to the end fittings - or am I mistaken?

When I replaced mine with new, I found the operation of the handbrake much improved.

Jerry

17 hours ago, michaeldavis39 said:

Thanks Sean, my inner cable looks fine and I felt it would be a waste to buy a replacement when the existing one is still perfectly serviceable. My question was somewhat out of curiosity as I said it's hard to tell what it's made from but as it's lasted all these years I would find it hard to believe its just mild steel considering its totally exposed to the elements for the past 46 years! I tried to shine it up with a wire wheel but had no success. 

Michael

Michael, Here's how mine looked after a couple of coats of wheel silver.

HTH

Sean

P1060343.JPG

I note Rimmers now only offer the plastic sleeved handbrake cable for TR4A-6 (TKC248)  The original exposed metal sleeved  (140373) was always fitted as standard in most markets but an plastic sleeved one was specified for German markets on TR6.  It is in effect the metal sleeved item with covering of plastic (shrink wrap?) on it to eliminate ingress of road grot into the cable through the flexing metal sleeve.  Has the added benefit of remaining lubricated too, TR4A-6 cars not having the provision of a nipple through which the handbrake cable can be lubricated - something the TR2-4 does have.

Cheers

Peter W

On 3/15/2020 at 9:45 PM, RogerH said:

Hi Michael,

have you tried a magnet on it.

Shouldn't it be plastic coated.  They do go rusty - so non plated steel.

But that was a guess

Roger

Hi Roger,

Only German market TR's had a plastic sheath on their anaconda flexible steel covering as I was lead to believe, as Moss told me years ago. But Derek my correct me.

Bruce.

1 hour ago, astontr6 said:

Hi Roger,

Only German market TR's had a plastic sheath on their anaconda flexible steel covering as I was lead to believe, as Moss told me years ago. But Derek my correct me.

Bruce.

Correct according to the parts catalogue pt no 517785.  No change point given though for when they were introduced to German markets.

Peter W

Hi,

on my TR4A, returned in 1995 from the USA,

I kept this old bowden cables against I know better.

The steel cable inside slides - indeed it  grinds - on the outer spiral,

made of spring steel. Oil is useful but fixes water and dust.

Better bowden cables are outside sealed and have a inner tube made of POM or Nylon.

So the steel cable slides with less friction in a POM / Nylon tube and not on steel, so no lubricant is needed.

Or better - the innen steel cable is also POM or Nylon tubed, so when pulling the cable

POM slides on POM and the steel cable and steel spiral only bear the forces.

This are how my new BMW bowden cables are made to reduce friction,

black the tube on the cable, white the tube in the spiral.

Hope this helps

P1150723-b.JPG.b4e27a2a9c88561c92afc6dc4d55e0a8.JPG

Edited by Z320
Photo added