No drive via clutch?

Hi

I dont use the forum very much, so please bear with me...... My '4 is in very poor shape but  I'd like to get it mobile in order to move it under its own steam. Everything was working until a couple of years ago and It has sat awaiting my time, slowly deteriorating. The clutch hydraulics gave out around last December when I got in it to unstick the clutch. Clutch was ok previously.

Yesterday I had a go at it, and, owing to lack of brake fuild, though I'd try to fill the clutch master with shock oil. Its quite light & pours easily. To my surprise I got a good pedal after a few pumps, but the clutch was very stiff.I remembered from the distant past that this is probably the flexible pipe collapsing. Anyhow, to prove my point I pulled out the plugs, squirted oil down the bores & spun the engine over. To my surprise, the engine spins when in gear & my foot off the clutch pedal. I left it 24 hours & stll the same result.

I havent got under the car to check the linkage (its a bit awkward where it is) - but any clues?

regards, Adrian

Hi Adrian,

firstly - your shock oil !! what spec exactly is it.  Many of these oils are mineral based and may well destroy the seals.  Drain it out and put in what you think was originally in it  DOT 4 or 5 !!

From underneath does the arm of the cross shaft  (attached to the slave) hang down vertically - or is it angled rearwards slightly.

The pressure plate may not be returning fully to the 'off' position.   Solidified grease or rust on the splined shaft.

Also when in the 'off' position can the operating rod in the slave be moved (small amount of play)?

Roger 

My thanks to Roger: I know Shock Oil is totally wrong, but as the seals are probably shot I just wanted a quick fix to unstick the clutch. The entire car needs a rebuild, which includes all hydraulics & all brake systems - just for starters.  Its a very long way from driveable, but freeing the clutch is job #1.

Thanks, Adrian

If there is no drive to the wheels with the car in gear then this is probably not related to a sticking clutch but could be an overdrive not fully disengaged. Check the operating lever on LH side of gearbox. 

Chris 

50 minutes ago, ChrisR-4A said:

If there is no drive to the wheels with the car in gear then this is probably not related to a sticking clutch but could be an overdrive not fully disengaged.

Check the operating lever on RH side of gearbox. 

Chris 

OK Roger, the setting lever is on the RH side,  but the lever which operates the solenoid is on the left. Both should move together and be in fully off position, the one on left down with the solenoid off. 

Chris

• 4 months later...

Hello

After a protracted pause, I have tidied the garage to give myself some space, sorted out the lighting so I can actually see my mistakes, removed the bonnet & have rolled up my sleeves and am about to investigate My Lack of Drive.

In the last episode, I was puzzled by what appeared to be working: clutch hydraulics, gearbox, & overdrive - but no drive to the wheels.

Todays episode:  Plugs out - oil squirted in the bores & the engine spun on the starter [note to animal experts - Mice on Acid: why would  a mouse chew a battery - the taste of battery acid perhaps?] With the 'box clearly in gear, the prop shaft is not rotating.

I am about to follow RogerH's advice & take a look at the clutch slave ends. Others suspected the Overdrive (A Type), but I suspect its ok.: it mght be very stuck after 6 years of inactivity, but I think it would just stick & not operate.

Off to the garage now. Stay tuned ....

Adrian

P1010043.JPG

Hi again

I may have cracked it .... The Slave Cylinder rod appears to be stuck in the Out position.

After a minor struggle I got the rod off & the actuating arm moved back a little, engaging drive.

A few pics: Slave cylinder,  Mice chewed brake fluid (!) & a shot of an "Interdynamics Deluxe Portable Air Compressor". This high-quality US tyre pump must be at least 30 years old, but it ran like it was brand new. Some of the American car diy kit is really very good indeed.

Thanks to all.

Adrian

ClutchSlave.jpg

Compressor.jpg

MiceBrakeFluidJPG.jpg