• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

HELP THE NHS ~ I've let my adjoining empty house (fully furnished) to four NHS nurses free of charge during this National Emergency. We have a very large General Hospital at the top of the r

Very very Harsh Geko. I see a man, in an unenviable position, doing his utmost to balance the impossible tasks of trying to control the spread of a new novel virus - for which there is no treatme

By the book...

Posted Images

My Dminder app today reminds me at this latitude in the East Midlands the first day with useful D3 from sunshine will be in another 31 days.

Mick REichards

The sun is out and shining beautifully here in West London today. Things may be looking up.:unsure:

10 minutes ago, Lebro said:

Any sign of your vaccination appointments yet ?  (Had mine on Tuesday)

Bob.

Hi Bob,

we had ours yesterday.

The process all ran very efficiently.  Lots of helpers to keep things going.

6 check in desks. 6 jabbing desks.

I asked the young lad, who was about to harpoon me, if he had much practice.  Quite few he said (1000's)

Roger

It's good to hear that vaccination is so near for so many of you!

It's pleasing too, to find so many people surprised that their injection doesn't hurt, or hardly does!   I take no pride in that - I know that a very small, sharp, single use needle won't cause any pain in most arms.

I eve had one lady yesterday, who brought her husband "to hold her down", she was so scared and shaking from fear of the needle.   She was very brave and only held his hand, but when she asked , "When are you going to do it"  I was able to say I already had!

Don't be put off by that fear - but do hold on to the need for all the lockdown precautions!      Your vaccine protection doesn't start for at least two weeks, and you may still be able to spread the infection even then!

John

When the sun returns cases will fall dramatically as they did last summer. Meanwhile two things happen: evryone gets the jab and the virus evolves around it. People will think the jab has worked.  But we wont see the danger until we lose the sun. If vaccination remains the only defence new vaccine production has to start soon, but we wont know for certain the newly evolved variants to design the vaccine.  We already see the SA variant reducing vax efficacy from 90 to 50% for the Pfizer, and that ws before mass vaccinaiton has started to drive virus evolution.  The in vitro evolution study posted above showed spike protien in SA variant bound to the ACE2 receptor afew fold tighter, causing the reduction of vax efficacy and incresed infectivity. But they discovered  a spike mutation that binds 600-fold tighter to the  receptor!!!. If that evolves  the present vax will in all probably fail to protect and new vax will be required. Next wiinter may well be a replay of this winter, but with a enormously more infectious variant to fight.

Peter

My wife's vit d test results came in today. Interesting to her levels were double mine and we both take the same dose (4,000iu a day).  I suspect the difference  is down to me being almost twice as large !

Keep safe folks, 

Screenshot_20210204-191259_Drive.jpg

Mark, There a quite a lot of expert signatories ot the Open Letter personally taking more than 4000 IU pd. Presumably thay are not making themsleves ill !

On that basis you could try say 8000 IU per day and remeasure after say 3 months.

I took 10,000 pd for a year but decided that would take me over the physiologicla range ( 100-150 nmol/L)  so cut back.

I do take vit K2 Mk4 Mk7 twice a week ot ensure the extra calcium uptake from gut goes into bone and teeth and not soft tissue.

Peter

7 hours ago, john.r.davies said:

It's good to hear that vaccination is so near for so many of you!

It's pleasing too, to find so many people surprised that their injection doesn't hurt, or hardly does!   I take no pride in that - I know that a very small, sharp, single use needle won't cause any pain in most arms.

I eve had one lady yesterday, who brought her husband "to hold her down", she was so scared and shaking from fear of the needle.   She was very brave and only held his hand, but when she asked , "When are you going to do it"  I was able to say I already had!

Don't be put off by that fear - but do hold on to the need for all the lockdown precautions!      Your vaccine protection doesn't start for at least two weeks, and you may still be able to spread the infection even then!

John

Really glad to hear that John. With my uncontrollable and severe vasovagal response to anything invasive it is reassuring. I just need to practice some "mind over automatic response" somehow.....

I'm not on the list yet, but with the progress here in our little part of West Sussex, I expect it to be early in March.

Rod, and anyone anxious about injections,

May I suggest that you practice breathing exercises?   I mean practice as in doing it beforehand and getting used to doing it.

See: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/stress-anxiety-depression/ways-relieve-stress/      This should not be deep breathing, just regular smooth and concious, you breathing as your mind commands, not your body taking over.        Learn to do this at home and be doing it as you go into the vaccination room.    

If you fear a faint as a result of the stress of injection, then tell the vaccination centre staff when you go in.     It will be best for you (and them!) if you go to a room where there is a couch to lie on when you are injected.   A faint is much less likely if you are already lying down!

John

Edited by john.r.davies

I had mine earlier this week, and I didn't realise that it had been done until the nurse told me, felt absolutely nothing.  The organisation at the centre was exceptional, if only the rest of the pandemic had been handled as well as the vaccination programme.

34 minutes ago, john.r.davies said:

Now that the vaccination programme is rolling out to this generation, remember:

2075022390_TheVaccinator.jpg.f7944dab30c45408dd5d7303d4ffa5d4.jpg

And again and again and again.

The virus will probably defeat the first vaccines: it's evolution, rather like antibiotic resistnace in bacteria only faster.

The worst mutation yet uncovered is Q498R,  described in the paper I posted earlier.  In combination with  existing Brazil varaint Q498R binds ot receptors in lung 50-fold tighter than the original virus. Exising SA and brazil variants bind a few fold tighter and have worse outcomes in transmission and severity. And reduced  vaccine efficacy. So a 50-fold increase in binding bodes badly for the pandemic if (when) Q498R appears. Let us hope vaccine designers are aware of this study and not setting out to fight yesterday's war.

Peter

7 hours ago, john.r.davies said:

Rod, and anyone anxious about injections,

May I suggest that you practice breathing exercises?   I mean practice as in doing it beforehand and getting used to doing it.

See: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/stress-anxiety-depression/ways-relieve-stress/      This should not be deep breathing, just regular smooth and concious, you breathing as your mind commands, not your body taking over.        Learn to do this at home and be doing it as you go into the vaccination room.    

If you fear a faint as a result of the stress of injection, then tell the vaccination centre staff when you go in.     It will be best for you (and them!) if you go to a room where there is a couch to lie on when you are injected.   A faint is much less likely if you are already lying down!

John

Thanks John.

I always tell the Nurse or whoever is in charge in situations where I know I'm likely to "go" that it's best I sit or lie down beforehand because if I don't, I will be in a minute anyway....

2 hours ago, Peter Cobbold said:

And again and again and again.

The virus will probably defeat the first vaccines: it's evolution, rather like antibiotic resistnace in bacteria only faster.

The worst mutation yet uncovered is Q498R,  described in the paper I posted earlier.  In combination with  existing Brazil varaint Q498R binds ot receptors in lung 50-fold tighter than the original virus. Exising SA and brazil variants bind a few fold tighter and have worse outcomes in transmission and severity. And reduced  vaccine efficacy. So a 50-fold increase in binding bodes badly for the pandemic if (when) Q498R appears. Let us hope vaccine designers are aware of this study and not setting out to fight yesterday's war.

Peter

Thnaks for that, Peter!

But here's something a little cheerier.   You recall how the drug dexamethazone was found to shorten the time spent on a ventilator in ICU?  Well, now another cheap and readily available drug has been shown to reduce the length of time that oxygen was needed (Crucial in Brazil where the study was done - Brazilian hospitals are very short of O2) and their stay in hospital. See: https://rmdopen.bmj.com/content/7/1/e001455

Colchicine is a drug used to suppress the joint inflammation of  gout, that has a number of actions in the body.    Prophetically, this paper from 2014 about those actions, said "these molecular pathways may represent new therapeutic applications for colchicine"!   https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25151572/

The study is tiny, only 72 patients, but was a proper RCT, a Randomised Controlled Trial, and no doubt will be repeated on more patients to confirm, or deny, the value of colchicine.

John

5 hours ago, Colin Symonds said:

I had mine earlier this week, and I didn't realise that it had been done until the nurse told me, felt absolutely nothing.  

I was tempted to ask the young lady who did mine "Is it in yet". 

Pete :ph34r:

1 hour ago, john.r.davies said:

Thnaks for that, Peter!

But here's something a little cheerier.   You recall how the drug dexamethazone was found to shorten the time spent on a ventilator in ICU?  Well, now another cheap and readily available drug has been shown to reduce the length of time that oxygen was needed (Crucial in Brazil where the study was done - Brazilian hospitals are very short of O2) and their stay in hospital. See: https://rmdopen.bmj.com/content/7/1/e001455

Colchicine is a drug used to suppress the joint inflammation of  gout, that has a number of actions in the body.    Prophetically, this paper from 2014 about those actions, said "these molecular pathways may represent new therapeutic applications for colchicine"!   https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25151572/

The study is tiny, only 72 patients, but was a proper RCT, a Randomised Controlled Trial, and no doubt will be repeated on more patients to confirm, or deny, the value of colchicine.

John

Indeed. My post on 24 Jan about Colchicine refers. (I am SO far ahead of the game.) :D

Nigel

Just thought you would be interested in what came up in our neighbouring community Facebook group today.

D57360FE-921B-4E63-94D7-562998A56D09.jpeg

Why do you show us this, Suzanne?

There is much concern about the level of Covid and vaccination scepticism, and downright 'antivax' feeling in all communities but especially those with a BAME background.   In December last, the Royal Soc for Public Health found that 75% of the White public have no problem with the vaccine, and only 8% would definitely not do so (Worrying enough!), in the BAME communities only 56% were willing.   https://www.rsph.org.uk/about-us/news/new-poll-finds-bame-groups-less-likely-to-want-covid-vaccine.html     They had concerns on religious grounds as well as worries about side effects, but that study found that much of this was because those people were ill-informed, and were open to being informed by authoritative figures from their communities.    This leaflet advertises a meeting to provide exactly that.

Remember that "We are not protected until we are all protected"  and favourable publicity from political and professional leaders of all communities will help to maximise vaccine take-up and protection for us all.    Last week, one of my 'patients' happened to be a local goverment leader, who asked if they could be photographed having their injection, so that the organsiation they led could publicise the fact.      We were glad to help, and our clinic manager took the picture!

John

Edited by john.r.davies