• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

HELP THE NHS ~ I've let my adjoining empty house (fully furnished) to four NHS nurses free of charge during this National Emergency. We have a very large General Hospital at the top of the r

Very very Harsh Geko. I see a man, in an unenviable position, doing his utmost to balance the impossible tasks of trying to control the spread of a new novel virus - for which there is no treatme

By the book...

Posted Images

John,

you are being very childish.  Accept that the world isn't fair and count your blessings.

I've just spent an hour on the phone waiting to book in for the C19 jab on their request - A bl**dy hour waiting.

When the young lady answered the phone it was obvious there was a problem. Can you phone back tomorrow. NO I can't (my mind had other words).

Eventually after talking to others she said she would call back tomorrow. Now that would be shock.

Roger

I am sorry, Roger that you and others have been on the receiving end of badly organised, lackaday, vaccine cock-ups!    Really sorry, I mean it with all my heart.

But how unlike the home life in our own dear Lancashire, where the worst complaint I've heard is that people had to queue outside for five minutes (it was very cold!).    Before the staff opened up another room for them to wait in.   We have the enterprise and the organisation, just no vaccine!

John

43 minutes ago, john.r.davies said:

I am sorry, Roger that you and others have been on the receiving end of badly organised, lackaday, vaccine cock-ups!    Really sorry, I mean it with all my heart.

But how unlike the home life in our own dear Lancashire, where the worst complaint I've heard is that people had to queue outside for five minutes (it was very cold!).    Before the staff opened up another room for them to wait in.   
We have the enterprise and the organisation, just no vaccine!

John

Don’t keep rubbing it in, you have no idea what it’s like living in this part of London and it’s a very different population now.
We are lucky if we can understand our GPS let alone them understand each other or their recorded phone messages we have to listen to.

Our vaccinations will be carried out ( when we get an appointment) at The Nav Nat Centre, in two previous lives this used to be The EMI Social Club and then The BAA Social Club, this place is a religious centre now has a huge sports field and on at least two occasions has refused the local Catholic PrimarySchool use of the sports field for their sports day.

Do you get the idea now?

We keep telling you we have a huge population here, one you can’t even imagine the size of,or the complexity of coping with. 
High maintenance and demanding doesn’t even begin to describe it.

Edited by SuzanneH

Anyone else bother to watch the Royal Society webinar?

Speakers were, Rino  Rappuoli (Chief Scientist & head of external research and development at GlaxoSmithKline Vaccines), Melinda Mills ( Nuffield Professor of Sociology at Nuffield College, University of Oxford) and Charles Bangham( Professor of Immunology at Imperial College London)

I took notes if anyone is interested.    

Not many surprises, except on "Herd Immunity"  (HI) the proportion of the population who must be immune, through prior infection or vaccine, so that an epidemic cannot occur - it does NOT prevent sporadic infection.    That proportion depends on the infectivity of the infection, which may be expressed as the R factor, the average number of people who catch it from one individual.       Unsupressed by lockdown or vaccine, the R for Covid is 2-3, and the proportion is 60-70%.

Measles on the other hand has an R of 12-15!  And 90% must be vaccinated to prevent epidemic!

I thought we were badly off for vaccine - just seen on BBC news that all vaccination appointments in Madrid, for the foreseeable,  have been cancelled!  Similar in my h of Germany and only 2% of Germans have had the jab.  They attribute it to a slow EU to order their doses.

Gosh!  The Tories got something right!

Edited by john.r.davies
24 minutes ago, john.r.davies said:

I thought we were badly off for vaccine - just seen on BBC news that all vaccination appointments in Madrid, for the foreseeable,  have been cancelled!  Similar in my h of Germany and only 2% of Germans have had the jab.  They attribute it to a slow EU to order their doses.

Yes I'm not anti-EU but it looks like the Commission and the member states between them have substantially screwed up their vaccine procurement strategy so far. Or at least made some big bets that have gone against them. Now they've come together against a common 'enemy' which happens to be AZN but of course a proxy for antipathy towards the UK.

Sad that politicians in several countries appear to be grandstanding on this, and I hope no British politician even thinks about gloating. There are too many lives in jeopardy or both sides of the Channel for that. Can only hope that the Novavax vaccine (just announced UK trials completed this evening) brings the day closer when everyone in te UK and Europe will get their jab.

Nigel

More good news this morning with 60million doses of the Novavax vaccine secured.....just needs a licence now. It would appear that the “UK” government has taken some risks with procurement, and backed manufacturers early and hence secured vaccine earlier than  EU.  
Iain

Yes the UK made some great decisions to do some pump priming funding over a number of companies, a great example of spread betting. I must agree with others that the EU only wished to spend after successful vaccine results. The EU should be hanging its head in shame for its lack of support to assist its own people.

Alan 

26 minutes ago, barkerwilliams said:

Yes the UK made some great decisions to do some pump priming funding over a number of companies, a great example of spread betting. I must agree with others that the EU only wished to spend after successful vaccine results. The EU should be hanging its head in shame for its lack of support to assist its own people.

Alan 

For anyone with a Times subscription there is a good article today on this: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/coronavirus-the-nimble-vaccine-task-force-that-left-global-rivals-trailing-in-its-wake-kpbqkpbrv.

If you can't read it, basically it recounts how there was a set of fast decisions back in April/May. Priority was given to vaccine candidates that would reduce infection severity, and could be ready for market within a year. The big bets were placed, crucially for Pfizer and AZN, and commitments made back in May. Meanwhile the Commission and member states dithered for three months and also several of its chosen 'plays' didn't bear fruit, notably Sanofi.

(Not sure what one can generalise about that, other than the pretty obvious fact that in an emergency a small group with a direct line to decision makers and willing to take risks is likely to out perform an unwieldy conglomeration with some competing internal interests.)

Nigel

[EDIT] Also, although not mentioned in the article but has been elsewhere, an irony was that UK govt were very concerned that US might restrict exports of its vaccines, if Trump had been re-elected. That focused attention on need for a 'home grown' option, ie Oxford/AZN which happened to come good.

Edited by Bleednipple
On 1/28/2021 at 10:07 PM, john.r.davies said:

I wasn't aware of us being badly off for vaccine.  My wife and I are both 72 and have had ours, my cousin lives in New Malden and is 71 she is having hers on Sunday and taking along her Husband who is only 69 because they have plenty of spares.

As has already been mentioned, the Times had a really good article on the vaccine spat this morning.  See attached.

Rgds Ian

Coronavirus.pdf

Edited by Ian Vincent
On 1/28/2021 at 10:59 AM, john.r.davies said:

A little while ago, I told of my concern that the very successful Lancaster vaccination project had been halted by lack of vaccine supplies.   

Sorry John, but that seems like bad local management to me - an excess of resources compared to the supply does not mean you should receive a disproportionate supply.

Pete

On 1/28/2021 at 2:18 PM, RogerH said:

I've just spent an hour on the phone waiting to book in for the C19 jab on their request - A bl**dy hour waiting.

Just had my invitation letter so went on the NHS web site to book an appointment. Times were showing as available at Kenilworth mass vaccination centre on Sunday 31st, so picked one of those, went through to book the second dose, clicked to confirm, and got an error message saying that one of the dates/times I'd booked is no longer available, but without telling me which one! The only option was to go back to the beginning, select a place, select a date, select a time from the list of 'available' times - same result, same error message. Tried three times with different times, same uninformative error message each time.:angry:

Eventually tried a different date, and succeeded.

Posted this on a local Facebook group earlier today, and a few people have ignored the instruction to 'wait until invited' and phoned their GP, who has been able to book them into a more local vaccination centre. Never mind, at least I'll have the pleasure of a drive to Stoneleigh.

Pete

My personal experience; 

SMS received from my GP this morning, included a link to the booking system. 3mins later appointment for first jab booked. Clear text informing me that my invitation for the second vaccination would be sent out in due course at the appropriate time.

Efficient and easy to understand - thumbs-up from me, great job by all those involved.

....... Andy 

Hi Andy,

for some reason my text message asked me to contact the surgery - hence the hour long wait on the phone. for no reason.

Sue had a similar message from the surgery asking her to click on the link - job done in minutes (not 60+).

Roger

10 minutes ago, RogerH said:

for some reason my text message asked me to contact the surgery

I don’t know if the SMS notification services used by different practices is the same throughout the country (I suspect it would vary)

The first part of the SMS I received did give a couple of GP contacts numbers, but said only needed to call if the recipient had any questions.  The message then gave the booking link. 

I hope you both receive your vaccinations at the earliest opportunity.

...... Andy 

On 1/28/2021 at 7:26 PM, john.r.davies said:

Anyone else bother to watch the Royal Society webinar?

Speakers were, Rino  Rappuoli (Chief Scientist & head of external research and development at GlaxoSmithKline Vaccines), Melinda Mills ( Nuffield Professor of Sociology at Nuffield College, University of Oxford) and Charles Bangham( Professor of Immunology at Imperial College London)

I took notes if anyone is interested.    

Not many surprises, except on "Herd Immunity"  (HI) the proportion of the population who must be immune, through prior infection or vaccine, so that an epidemic cannot occur - it does NOT prevent sporadic infection.    That proportion depends on the infectivity of the infection, which may be expressed as the R factor, the average number of people who catch it from one individual.       Unsupressed by lockdown or vaccine, the R for Covid is 2-3, and the proportion is 60-70%.

Measles on the other hand has an R of 12-15!  And 90% must be vaccinated to prevent epidemic!

I found the webinar interesting and balanced, and in particular encouraging that these important influencers have a positive yet cautious view of the future. I don't think it told me very much I didn't know, except about how having shedloads of government cash available across the world made it possible for vaccines to be deveoped at 5 or 10 times the normal speed.

Where various countries got things right on isolation, closing borders etc and we were indecesive and not strong enough, we got the vaccine thing right.

On 1/18/2021 at 9:28 AM, barkerwilliams said:

I have been taking Vitamin D supplements for well over ten years, perhaps over fifteen years, usually 4000 in the summer and 5000 in the winter. Well curiosity finally got the better of me and I sent off my sample for testing and received the results today.

I was surprised by the result being so close to the bottom end of "good" and I have decided to up my winters daily dose to 8000 for a month or so then have a retest. My metabolism ratio is 10.5 dead centre in the good so I don't have a conversion issue or underlying problem.

Although I know my result is good I would have liked/ expected it to be higher in the good range. For me with my lifestyle, diet or whatever I now really appreciate how dire the UK's recommendation of 400 units/day  really is and I can only guess how poor my results would have been at the recommended dose level. 

Although I have not had a cold etc for years so I suspected my levels were ok I do not think I understood that I required such levels of supplementation just to make me "low-good".

Aside from clean drinking water I do not believe that there is any other product that can do us all so much good at such an insignificantly low cost.

I hope this might prompt others to take the test, the reassurance it gave me that I am on-track is wonderful.

Alan

image.png.bbca2148365a571656db80d5eb94f419.png 

I sent off a blood test to see my Vitamin D status, I've been taking 4000IU for almost a year (as has my wife) .

Like Alan I was also surprised at my lower than expected results .

My wife's result has not yet come through, the lab said they had experienced a high level of demand for this service.

Mark

image.thumb.png.3195ceeb07e2e9e075541a3c62876401.png