On a more serious note, Prof Peter's warning about a vitamin D shortage is starting to happen.

Vit D NLA in Sainsbury's, only available in multi vitamin tablets. Went to my local Lloyds pharmacy today, and the shelf was empty where the Vit D usually resides. The very helpful assistant checked, found they can get more for tomorrow, and will call me when it arrives.

I await their call...

Nigel

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

HELP THE NHS ~ I've let my adjoining empty house (fully furnished) to four NHS nurses free of charge during this National Emergency. We have a very large General Hospital at the top of the r

Very very Harsh Geko. I see a man, in an unenviable position, doing his utmost to balance the impossible tasks of trying to control the spread of a new novel virus - for which there is no treatme

By the book...

Posted Images

Hi Alan,

Thank you for the link. Oxford Vitality's pricing seems very fair.

True to their word, Lloyds phoned this morning and I've picked up a few months supply today. Great customer service but I will try Oxford Vitality next time. For any other pharmaceutical requirements, I'm going to Lloyds as the local branch is on the edge of town, only 5 mins from home and it rarely gets crowded.

Nigel

It mIght be wise to ensure that your chosen suppliers VitD3 complies with the British Pharmacopoeia. At least that way you know it has been through a level of manufacturing scrutiny. Some manufacturers declare this others don’t.

Iain

Edited by iain

Not at all, it says it is on the outer packaging though not on the product information. 

However it is worth checking that any purchase, especially on line, is to this standard.

Edited by iain
15 minutes ago, Mick Forey said:

A recent article published by Nature:  https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-020-77093-z

Mick

Good paper.  They defined deficiency as <20ng/ml= 50 nmol/L. UK population averages almost 50 nmol/L, so half would fall into the deficient category in this paper. Unles they take supplements !

Peter

David Davis MP on D3 for Covid-19.  An excellent example of an MP who has mastered a huge body of  science and can put it over without auto-cue. Really impressive. Let's hope he succeeds. You can help by fwding the link to your MP, saying where you found it - D3 is becoming grass roots knowledge.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a beautiful piece of molecular biology research from Germany showing that  the D3-inducible anti-microbial peptide LL37, better known as cathelicidin. inhibits binding of the coronavirus spike protein to its receptor. If the virus cannot bind it cannot replicate.

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.12.02.408153v2

Peter

1 hour ago, barkerwilliams said:

Mouldy oldies tend not to be rocketed into space nor volunteer to endure 6 months darkness in a cooold wilderness. They are also known to respond poorly to D3 supplements: the 25(OH)D rises about half that of young. So the 1000 -2000 IU per day the authors promote translates, to me, into 2000-4000 IU pd for us earth-bound oldies warming our feet in front of the fire.

Submariners have long been dosed with D3, NASA playing catch-up.

Peter

Modern humans in northern climes may not be the first to suffer from a lack of VitD!  Antonis Bartsiokas, Lab.Head at Democritus U, Thrace, Greece, says that ancient bones show evidence  of rickets, parathyroid and kidney disease associated with a lack of VitD.    He suggests that they survived dark winters by living in even darker caves, and that this may have been a form of hibernation!   See Bartsiokas and Arsuaga, Hibernation in hominins from Atapuerca, Spain half a million years ago, L'Anthropologie, 27 November 2020    https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0003552120300832

Press release with over 100 signatories aimed at governments and health authorities internationally. It will soon be published in Eur J Clin Nutrition. Note David Davis MP is on board, his degree in molecular science undoubtedly helping his mastery of the topic.

https://vitamindforall.org/letter.html

Further publications supporting a role for D3 in C-19 are being  published almost daily. I dont intend to post them here, for me the job is done, its up to "the authorities" to decide.

I now want to focus on the use of low-dose lithium to slow my PD.  There is also evidence emerging that lithium is implicated in dementias i/c Alzheimer's, and might be an important but ignored trace element.  Happy to start a new thread if anyone is interested.

Stay safe and pls forward the link above, the more the merrier.

Peter

That's a degree, not a Masters, and David Davis is a disgrace to the family - his 'mastery' of the Brexit debate, eg "There will be no downside to Brexit, only a considerable upside" 

1 hour ago, barkerwilliams said:

Another side benefit

Vitamin D the clue to more autism spectrum disorder in boys - UQ News - The University of Queensland, Australia
https://www.uq.edu.au/news/article/2020/12/vitamin-d-clue-more-autism-spectrum-disorder-boys

Alan

Interesting. Autism and maternal D3 deficiency is known,https://vitamindwiki.com/Autism but the male bias not understood.

Peter

Just watched the medcram video that Peter posted above. It is an hour long but very digestible and is a good summary of where we are with studying the role of Vit D in fighting infections and inflammatory conditions relative to Covid 19. A good video to watch with your morning coffee.

Both Wales and Scotland are having serious problems with resurgence of the virus every tie they reduce their lockdown. England is not far behind.

Why on earth do the respective leaders not grasp the straws that have been there all year and issue everybody with a month or more of the hormone VD3

ALL the tests and research show it has benefits.

And to all the naysayers, unless you have a medical condition, there would be no harm done even if it doesn't work.

Roger

Edited by RogerH

Roger,

I am no conspiracy theorist but....

What do you think of any government that has information from a wide number of sources that a course of action would be beneficial to it's citizens across a wide range of health issues?

Would you expect at the very least the commissioning of a study, or would you prefer that it's people are left in the dark? The problem is who would undertake such a study impartially? Who benefits from maintaining the status quo? Personally I can only assume those supra-government corporations whose deep pockets are endlessly refilled by their dependant customers and governments.

At least we currently we have access to the materials to self-medicate.

Alan

......or what do you think of Global government's doing the same. Not one has grasped the nettle. Why? A global conspiracy.......I don’t think so, the first to react would surely be at a significant cultural and more importantly, economic advantage. So why aren’t they doing it?