19 minutes ago, SuzanneH said:

Scroll down. Full circle, we are back to where the Vitamin D3 discussion began several years ago now.

DC843779-B126-44D3-85A5-9FBAA8317A91.png

Holick's book ten years ago recommended them for reptiles.

UVB "combs" are  available at a price ( £250) for scalp psoriasis. Hazardous if the instructions are not followed carefully !

Peter

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

HELP THE NHS ~ I've let my adjoining empty house (fully furnished) to four NHS nurses free of charge during this National Emergency. We have a very large General Hospital at the top of the r

Very very Harsh Geko. I see a man, in an unenviable position, doing his utmost to balance the impossible tasks of trying to control the spread of a new novel virus - for which there is no treatme

By the book...

Posted Images

55 minutes ago, barkerwilliams said:

...and VitD gets to the Which Magazine. Though low level NHS recommended doses.

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2020/09/vitamin-d-how-much-should-you-take-and-whos-most-at-risk/

Alan

NICE does not advise any D3 for C19, only for muscle/bone health

So good to  see Which starting to break rank, even if the dose is marginal.

Peter

2 hours ago, john.r.davies said:

Orange Prince has CV19 10-3-20.jpg

Another one doing the rounds is with him sat chatting and smiling with (Prince) Harry where he asks “what did Meghan and you write on his get well card?

Harry, with a Great big grin, says.....”Stay Positive “!

1 hour ago, barkerwilliams said:

My sources tell me that a government announcement on Vit D is imminent.

No idea of the content though.

Alan

Let me guess " NICE, SACN and PHE do not find any evidece for the utility of D3" or words to that effect.

But a labour MP Dr. Huq has joined forces with David Davis, so both sides of the House are now rooting for D.

Peter

Thanks Sue,

They measured serum 25(OH)D sometime after ( several days?) the initial infection. Since we know 25(OH) is used up during an infection their serum levels amy have been, pre-infection, higher than reported. Take home message is having a marginal level is unwise, safer to be higher.  Worry is, a dose of 'flu will also deplete 25(OH)D, so if someone gets flu  and later C19 they may still be d3pleted.

Hopefully the Huq-Davis meeting  with Hancock to discuss D3 might lead to more generous advice on dose.

Peter

meanwhile...Holland is leading the EU...with number of confirmed infected persons per 100.000 (today 5800, yesterday 5000).
Stay safe, it is not too difficult to get infected even if you are careful.

Waldi

5 hours ago, Sparver said:

Covid19 deaths already surpassed 1 million, I just can't fathom that many has already died of the virus.

You should have been around in 1917-18 the Spanish Flu killed 17 million !
Maybe surprisingly... life goes on,... for those spared.

Mick Richards

Which originated on a farm in Kansas and jumped from birds to humans, according to the excellent history documentary programme on it made in 2018, which at the end stated that we at very high risk of another similar pandemic and are not doing enough to be in a good position to manage it.

Mick

Mick,  It wasn't just a TV documentary that said that the UK was unprepared for the probably next pandemic.   The Gov's own "Operation Cygnus" as late as 2016, involved the Civil Service (all depts), local authoritis and the NHS.    It showed that there was an insufficient strategic store and supply chain for PPE, ventilators and drugs, that plans to support the NHS and  towns to deal with the imaginary epidemic or the country's economy to survive, did not exist.  Cygnus should have led to at least the preparation of the last, but nothing was done.     Until it happened.

I usually quote a Guardian article at this point, but instead, look at this one from the Telegraph: 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/03/28/exercise-cygnus-uncovered-pandemic-warnings-buried-government/

John

............and Bill Gates gave a world tour of seminars to Gov't and interested parties about the lack of preparedness that existed regarding a pandemic.

Everybody nodded and took their expenses but nobody listened.

I would like to think that our Gov't has learnt something form this chaos.

Starting from older folks having food during lockdown form day one.

Accepting that possible 'old wives tales' remedies are worth investigating before they are needed.

Simple furlough scheme for 'all'

..............................................and on and on and on.

I'm sure they listened

Roger

Roger

In the decade afte Spanish flu there was an uptick in the incidence of Parkinsons-like disease. I noticed on TV a4 Hz hand tremor in a long-covid patient, in his 30s. Its possible that brain injury may be occuring. Long-covid should be a warning to yougsters that they might not be home and dry after  shrugging off the virus.

Peter

11 hours ago, Sparver said:

Covid19 deaths already surpassed 1 million, I just can't fathom that many has already died of the virus.

Sparver, Welcome to the forum.

This virus is similar to SARS-CoV 9 and MERS, but has spike proteins that bind with much higher affinity to a receptor on the surface of lungs and blood vessels called ACE2. " Vitamin" D deficiency, which is global, increases the level of  ACE2, helping the virus to replicate. This looooong thread describes in almost real time the emergence of evidence that D3 supplements should prevent serious infection.

I wrote a one page summary on 20 Sept, attached.

Peter

D3 COVID overview.pdf