1 hour ago, Motorsport Mickey said:

I think the alternative views are just as important Ian, it helps the rounded argument which allows all of us to make a decision based upon likely outcome. Taking an intake of VitD3 which is of the same order as that recommended by the US which has the reputation of being the most litigious country in the world, and lawyers prowl health clinics looking for prey is not in my view going to be very risky. Otherwise they wouldn't go anywhere near these figures and is a likely reason why they have reduced their recommendation down to 4,000iu as against the 40,000iu at which they have completed tests and found no observable side effects.  

Mick Richards

UK govt analysis of toxicity says much the same

https://cot.food.gov.uk/sites/default/files/VitaminDstatement.pdf

and 135

135.An extensive review of vitamin D was undertaken in 2011 by the US Institute of Medicine (IOM, 2011) whichestablished an Upper Level (UL) of 100 μg/day vitamin D for adults.The IOM noted the paucity of long-term studies investigating the effects of vitamin D intakes above 250 μg per day or of maintaining serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D (25(OH)D) above 250 nmol/L.However, they consideredit unlikely that symptoms of toxicity would be observed atvitamin Dintakes below 250 μg/day, whereasadverse effects would be observed from consumption at or above 1250 μg/day overweeks or months.

Note; 250ug is 10,000 IU   so 1250 = 50,000 IU 

UL of 100 ug is 4000 IU and this is probably where PHE advice derived. It is what I follow, and it gives me a physiological 25(OH)D3 of 150 nmol/L ( the range is 100 - 150)

Peter

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

HELP THE NHS ~ I've let my adjoining empty house (fully furnished) to four NHS nurses free of charge during this National Emergency. We have a very large General Hospital at the top of the r

Very very Harsh Geko. I see a man, in an unenviable position, doing his utmost to balance the impossible tasks of trying to control the spread of a new novel virus - for which there is no treatme

By the book...

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Bleednipple said:

We'll all have formed our own views on his actions and of their compatibility with being the PM's advisor and architect of the 'Stay At Home' policy and messaging. But at the same time, I do actually believe that the majority of the public, who are quite capable of making up their own minds just as we are, will think the whole thing absolutely stinks.

And even the Daily Mail is now demanding Cummings is sacked, for god's sake.

Politically, someone urgently needs to whisper to the PM: "Remember the poll tax, Boris?".

Nigel

So he got into his Land Rover and drove 264 miles.

I hear questions we don’t know how many times he had to fill up with petrol or stops he had, my daughter lives near Manchester funnily 264 miles away. I can actually drive there and back on single tank of fuel. 

Saying that I filled up my vehicle to attend a hospital appointment, 25 miles away, I wore gloves had hand sanitiser used a card at the pumps, no contact with anyone and kept my distance. 

Demands for Cummings to go, including Keir Starmer, who’s labour MP Tahr Ali went to a funeral with a hundred attending, Kevin Jones attending a birthday party, Kinnock visiting his father in Wales, even the Welsh health secretary taking his family  to a park for a picnic.

Demands for action to be taken against him, yet when you see the media, like bees around a honey pod. No distancing even extremely close to him and his child and even caused him to squeeze into the car. Yet nobody seems to be calling for the police to interview those reporters failure to distance themselves.

2 hours ago, foster461 said:

Good D3 discussion in this video and some details I had not fully realized like why it is bad to shower with soap after being out in the sun.

Tks Stan,  I thought the washing off D3 was apochryphal, but the lick-grooming animals....of course they lick it off.

No wonder NZ has little COVID if thay can make 10,000 IU in five minutes...tks to the ozone hole.

Peter

3 minutes ago, Derek Hurford said:

I hear questions we don’t know how many times he had to fill up with petrol or stops he had, my daughter lives near Manchester funnily 264 miles away. I can actually drive there and back on single tank of fuel. 

Saying that I filled up my vehicle to attend a hospital appointment, 25 miles away, I wore gloves had hand sanitiser used a card at the pumps, no contact with anyone and kept my distance. 

Demands for Cummings to go, including Keir Starmer, who’s labour MP Tahr Ali went to a funeral with a hundred attending, Kevin Jones attending a birthday party, Kinnock visiting his father in Wales, even the Welsh health secretary taking his family  to a park for a picnic.

Demands for action to be taken against him, yet when you see the media, like bees around a honey pod. No distancing even extremely close to him and his child and even caused him to squeeze into the car. Yet nobody seems to be calling for the police to interview those reporters failure to distance themselves.

Derek, in my view the difference between whatever Starmer or the others you mentioned may/may not have done (and if they broke the rules in letter or spirit then that's not defensible of course), and Dominic Cummings, is that DC holds public office as the principal adviser to the PM. More specifically, he has quite clearly been the chief architect of the draconian lockdown regime and how it was communicated, including the clearly stated instruction that if you get sick, you must stay at home with your family for 7/14 days. Many people who caught coronavirus found that instruction straightforward to comprehend, and even though maybe extremely tough to comply with (imagine a single mother with C19 trying to look after a small child), that's what they did.

I don't condemn Cummings for his personal decisions, nor should any of us unless we had to make a similar choice. But in high public office the principle of scrupulous compliance with the spirit of the edicts that come from your office is obvious and in my view over-riding. People in public office are rightly held to higher standards than anyone else, in respect of those matters that relate directly to their area of work. 

If he felt that he couldn't comply with the lockdown rules in a way that the public would have understood them, then he should have offered his resignation immediately after his actions.

Nigel

24 minutes ago, Derek Hurford said:

I'm along these lines in general, and since when have we had trial by tabloid in this country, I think the rabble outside someones house is threateningand should be held to book.

It's also clear to me that the majority of the calls against DC, are 'Payback' for previous actions, and the hypocrisy of some is really sickening, its why this has all come to light now.

John.

9 hours ago, barkerwilliams said:

Crawfie,

Do you really believe that?

At the time we were told that Coronavirus was a high mortality disease for all of us, press reports of people feeling ill in the morning and that evening in intensive care.

So a couple that have a young child and the real possibility that they might both be off to intensive care within a day or so and have the option to relocate to an empty property with nearby relatives to care for the child if it hits the fan. I would do exactly the same and I do not believe that anyone I know not take similar action to protect their child. Its what all good parents do.

Problem with Dominic Cummings is that he was behind the Brexit campaign and the remain press are out gunning for him even if there is no issue. On the  evidence I have heard he did nothing wrong.

On the BBC yesterday lunchtime a young lady reporter concluded with something along the lines of ".. as there is as yet no information as to how many people he infected.." just inventing non-events to stoke up the  anti-Cummings story. That was not reporting it was disgraceful propaganda.

Alan.

I have absolutely no problem with him going home to drop off his kids with his parents when he was ill

i would do the same.

what I do have  a problem with is the evidence that is emerging that he has been seen else where ....

I also have  a big problem with double standards from those in power who like to tell us what to do and do the complete opposite 

this is nothing to do with Brexit politics ......this is about abuse  of power and "I'm alright "attitude 

AND...... My son in laws best mate / best man at  his wedding was admitted to a hospice with a brain tumour. Both my daughter and son in law observed the lockdown. Both were distraught . They did not visit .He died.....left two young children . He was 30 years old . My son in law was one of ten who could attend the funeral. My daughter could not. She is till upset about this.

So when I see double standards and a total hypocrite in action.....yes I do get bloody angry.

Do as I say....not as I do.

Edited by Crawfie
Another rant

Dminder App

http://dminder.ontometrics.com/

This is Prof Holick's app that tells you how much D3 you will make from sun, anywhere, anytime. It is about ten years old so presumably gremlin-free,  and  you could not find a better author.

==========

D3 from sun lasts almost twice as long as D3 from supplements. The skin buffers solar  25(OH)D3 such that the half life of solar 25(OH) is double that of supplemental D3. In other words a pulse of sun that raises 25(OH) to the same level as a pulse of supplement delivers twice the amount of D3.In the face of accelerated consumption of 25(OH) during an infection the amount of 25(OH) may well eb more important than the actual 25(OH) concentration. Less risk of it running out before its job is done.  I wonder if this makes the Philippines, Indonesia, India cohorts more resistant than europeans ? If so, the magic Philippines etc cut-off of 75 nmol/L might not apply to us ! and we might need to supplement more if the sun dont shine.

Peter

Edited by Peter Cobbold
4 hours ago, barkerwilliams said:

Nigel,

So you believe that the press now rules the government and sets the agenda for government?

Gosh.

Just so pleased that we got WW2 over and done with before the rise of the journalist.

With that sort of government we will soon have criminals in the middle east running the UK's migration policy  by deciding who can pay them enough to be smuggled into the UK.

Let the government govern, then when their term is up have your say at the ballot box.

Alan

Alan, if I may say, that's a 'straw man' response. I never suggested or implied that there should be press primacy over an elected government. That would be ridiculous.

But since you raise it...happy to respond. I personally would certainly not want to go back to yesteryear in the relationship between government and media, that is to the years of D notices used as form of censorship of stories potentially embarrassing to government, etc etc. Investigative journalism exposes, while not always 'tastefully' done, can shine a light on important issues (the 2009 MPs' expenses scandal and the Windrush affair a couple of years back spring to mind - they might never have come to light if it wasn't for the Telegraph and the Guardian, respectively). I would argue that the knowledge that one's actions may have to be justifiable if reported in a newspaper is an important check/balance on behaviour of people in public office. (I mean, insofar as the issues relate to their public role of course, I'm not in any way defending press intrusion into private affairs unrelated to a public role.)

While I understand your 'ballot box' argument, how in practice am I supposed to know how the government have performed and behaved through their term when I get into the ballot box, unless there has been press scrutiny and reporting throughout? It's a bit of a cliche to say it, but if you think a free press is bad, trying living in a country without one.

Nigel

1 hour ago, Bleednipple said:

Derek, in my view the difference between whatever Starmer or the others you mentioned may/may not have done (and if they broke the rules in letter or spirit then that's not defensible of course), and Dominic Cummings, is that DC holds public office as the principal adviser to the PM. More specifically, he has quite clearly been the chief architect of the draconian lockdown regime and how it was communicated, including the clearly stated instruction that if you get sick, you must stay at home with your family for 7/14 days. Many people who caught coronavirus found that instruction straightforward to comprehend, and even though maybe extremely tough to comply with (imagine a single mother with C19 trying to look after a small child), that's what they did.

I don't condemn Cummings for his personal decisions, nor should any of us unless we had to make a similar choice. But in high public office the principle of scrupulous compliance with the spirit of the edicts that come from your office is obvious and in my view over-riding. People in public office are rightly held to higher standards than anyone else, in respect of those matters that relate directly to their area of work. 

If he felt that he couldn't comply with the lockdown rules in a way that the public would have understood them, then he should have offered his resignation immediately after his actions.

Nigel

Come on Nigel

Draconian rules, those rules to try and prevent this Chinese virus spreading. Nigel some of those journalists questioning (interrogating) him have actually been stating even demanding the government should have had more draconian rules.  At his inquisition it also appears he was not only having  to justify travelling to isolate where he felt was his safest option to his family, but that he had his fathers property to go to, even to  point he should apologise for that. He was in his car he didn’t stop at the time he suspected he and his wife had Coronavirus,  he isolated for the required 14 days where others could help if required. Having sort advise and receiving confirmation he was safe to travelled back to London to continue his work.

Apparently as key worker for a newspaper and or  TV reporter's in the media, you can go to work, travel anywhere in the country remain inches apart, and harass someone even crowed them,  but an important advisor to the prime minister also an essential worker should no legally travel to protect his family or to get to his place of work when it was safe to do so.

I am of the opinion that it’s not that he helped,  that’s helped determine the covid19 guidelines and travelled, it’s they don’t like him, he pi$$es them off.  What’s more nothing he said would have made a difference, it’s more about the media proving they have and to show they have the powers to control government and the people response. Thats what frightens me, and it seems they are right.  

Surely Nigel even if you don’t feel Kinnock, Jones and Ali as ministers have any responsibilities for actually breaking the guidelines, you must accept that the Welsh health minister should, and not to protect his family but so they could have a picnic. I don’t particularly like Mr Dominic Cummings but I feel this is a Witch hunt and like you I believe, I would have done exactly the same and I’m bu@@ered if I would resign until I no longer wished to do the job.

1 hour ago, John Morrison said:

I'm along these lines in general, and since when have we had trial by tabloid in this country, I think the rabble outside someones house is threateningand should be held to book.

It's also clear to me that the majority of the calls against DC, are 'Payback' for previous actions, and the hypocrisy of some is really sickening, its why this has all come to light now.

John.

John,

DC is supposed be a very clever man. If what you say is true ' Payback for previous actions"  is what is happening, he is not such a clever man after all....is he ?

if those that advise/ govern followed what they told the rest if us to do...they would not be in this kind of mess DC finds himself in.

Practise what you preach and no one can stick the knife in can they ?

Derek,

“Kinnock, Jones and Ali as ministers “

They aren’t ( thank God).

Mick Richards

5 minutes ago, Crawfie said:

John,

DC is supposed be a very clever man. If what you say is true ' Payback for previous actions"  is what is happening, he is not such a clever man after all....is he ?

if those that advise/ govern followed what they told the rest if us to do...they would not be in this kind of mess DC finds himself in.

If you're the mastermind of a creature you would rightly think that you can fashion it the way you want isn't ?

18 minutes ago, Motorsport Mickey said:

Derek,

“Kinnock, Jones and Ali as ministers “

They aren’t ( thank God).

Mick Richards

Did I say Minister's, slap my hands, MP’s.  I blame it on the statins, my age, actually both. Hopefully people got the gist, but I stand corrected Mick.

Thank you

Derek

The US guidance in full

https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/VitaminD-HealthProfessional/

Adequate intake is shown as 600- 800 ITU daily in well individuals. See Table 2.

I draw you attention to the Health Risks section and Table 4. Tolerable Upper Intake Levels.

As you says it’s about sharing information and getting a balance.

19 minutes ago, iain said:

The US guidance in full

Adequate intake is shown as 600- 800 ITU daily in well individuals. See Table 2.

I draw you attention to the Health Risks section and Table 4. Tolerable Upper Intake Levels.

Thanks for that Iain.

Mick Richards

36 minutes ago, iain said:

The US guidance in full

""Most reports suggest a toxicity threshold for vitamin D of 10,000 to 40,000 IU/day and serum 25(OH)D levels of 500–600 nmol/L (200–240 ng/mL).""

10,000 IU pd is easily obtained  from sun on skin, in a few minutes in NZ - see Stans video above. And 500 to 600 nmol/L- who wants to go there, it would need at least 50,000 IU pd.**  The rationale for 400 or even 800 is lost on me, they seem to use just bone data and refuse data on cancers because its insuffiiciently robust by thier self imposed criteria. The mechanistic science from animals/cells/molecules and physiology is utterly absent. It is a travesty. And UK has copied the USA.

Interesting that USA Inst Endoc has its own ruling: adequate is 75 nmol/L. 

===========

** one author of this takes 50,000 IU pd

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0960076018306228#bib0410

if anyone wants a pdf, PM me.

Peter

Edited by Peter Cobbold

PeteR that quote is rather selective...

“Long-term intakes above the UL increase the risk of adverse health effects [1] (Table 4). Most reports suggest a toxicity threshold for vitamin D of 10,000 to 40,000 IU/day and serum 25(OH)D levels of 500–600 nmol/L (200–240 ng/mL). While symptoms of toxicity are unlikely at daily intakes below 10,000 IU/day, the FNB pointed to emerging science from national survey data, observational studies, and clinical trials suggesting that even lower vitamin D intakes and serum 25(OH)D levels might have adverse health effects over time. The FNB concluded that serum 25(OH)D levels above approximately 125–150 nmol/L (50–60 ng/mL) should be avoided, as even lower serum levels (approximately 75–120 nmol/L or 30–48 ng/mL) are associated with increases in all-cause mortality, greater risk of cancer at some sites like the pancreas, greater risk of cardiovascular events, and more falls and fractures among the elderly. The FNB committee cited research which found that vitamin D intakes of 5,000 IU/day achieved serum 25(OH)D concentrations between 100–150 nmol/L (40–60 ng/mL), but no greater. Applying an uncertainty factor of 20% to this intake value gave a UL of 4,000 IU which the FNB applied to children aged 9 and older and adults, with corresponding lower amounts for younger children.“

To give it’s full context and the reasoning behind the upper maximum dose recommendations.

Iain

Edited by iain
13 hours ago, Crawfie said:

John,

When I say its payback time, he clearly has enemies.

When I say since when do we have trial by tabloid, I didn't get a reply, I thought the scene outside of his house were utterly disgraceful, and I would for anyone, who the hell do these photographers and 'Jounalists,' think they are? its not much short of mob rule.

You say you would have done the same with your child, yes me too, and if that meant a fine or jail, so be it, my kids health would have come first, and no one is saying that on behalf of him, no one can say to his face, 'You were wrong to look after your child'.

It was always the great excuse of the press that the 'Victim' lied, every major resignation was bourne out of the lie, the first one I personally remember was Promfumo,

he had to go because he lied.

Paddy Ashdown on the other hand, had an affair, reported in the press, and he simply said, Yes, and its only my and my wifes business, end of story.

He hasn't lied, he openly admits to the facts, he has no case to answer other than to his boss, and the real story here is that the boss is the one who is in the cross hairs, damned if he fires him, damned if he keeps him, lets at least be honest about that.

John.

My cynical take on the media attention given to DC is that they are bored with reporting that hundreds of people die every day, bored with giving facts and advise on how to avoid getting coronavirus and bored with a government trying its best to manage a situation nobody has ever been in before. Therefore they were delighted with a distraction away from the reality of fighting COVID-19 and jumped on something to create controversy and conflict. I was so bored with the media, we chose not to watch the news last night.

Did they report the fact that we have had the lowest deaths from COVID-19 since lockdown started?

Mick

5 minutes ago, John Morrison said:

When I say its payback time, he clearly has enemies.

When I say since when do we have trial by tabloid, I didn't get a reply, I thought the scene outside of his house were utterly disgraceful, and I would for anyone, who the hell do these photographers and 'Jounalists,' think they are? its not much short of mob rule.

You say you would have done the same with your child, yes me too, and if that meant a fine or jail, so be it, my kids health would have come first, and no one is saying that on behalf of him, no one can say to his face, 'You were wrong to look after your child'.

It was always the great excuse of the press that the 'Victim' lied, every major resignation was bourne out of the lie, the first one I personally remember was Promfumo,

he had to go because he lied.

Paddy Ashdown on the other hand, had an affair, reported in the press, and he simply said, Yes, and its only my and my wifes business, end of story.

He hasn't lied, he openly admits to the facts, he has no case to answer other than to his boss, and the real story here is that the boss is the one who is in the cross hairs, damned if he fires him, damned if he keeps him, lets at least be honest about that.

John.

I agree that DC can't be judged to have lied on any verifiable fact (if you accept his explanation as given yesterday about his reason for his 60 mile round trip to Barnard Castle, which I myself think is a the most creative, "dog-ate-my-homework" excuse for a Sunday day trip). The press will now switch tack onto what/when the PM knew. And the public will in the end have to draw their own conclusions about whether DC and his boss were, at least, less than transparent about when he had gone to Durham, right up until the matter came into the news and it became clear the story wasn't going away quickly.

The press pack can indeed be ugly and eventually, quite a lot of fair-minded people will say enough is enough, the PM isn't going to sack DC whatever we think about what he did, and can we please move on. I do find it extraordinary that Boris was prepared to expend so much political capital to save an advisor, and that shows how SPADs have become literally indispensable to political leaders. (And, incidentally, I do find that disturbing, given that SPADs are both un-elected and a the same time, as far as I can see, not accountable in the same way that professional civil servants are.)

In an earlier post I banged on about why I think the 'threat' of media scrutiny is a necessary instrument to keep senior politicians honest. To support that argument, I think this is an interesting article (and if you object to their starting premise about DC, I'd suggest ignoring the first two paragraphs and just reading the rest of the article). Basically, it summarises the body of psychology and social science evidence that 'power corrupts', in the sense that powerful people are often disinclined to follow the rules that they set for the rest of us, and moreover that they find ways to self-justify those behaviours.

https://theconversation.com/dominic-cummings-powerful-people-are-the-most-likely-to-break-the-rules-even-if-they-make-them-139340?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Latest from The Conversation for May 26 2020 - 1632315679&utm_content=Latest from The Conversation for May 26 2020 - 1632315679+CID_ab4fed6d8b7f1743f18defe15dc9f63e&utm_source=campaign_monitor_uk&utm_term=the people who make rules that are most likely to break them

I'm not completely cynical about politicians (right or left), we need them, but I just want the bastards to always be kept right where I can see them!  As with Vitamin D maybe, in public life "sunlight is the best disinfectant" ;)

Nigel

16 minutes ago, Bleednipple said:

What I said in my post above. People in power feel that they own the rules they make because it's their own creature and that they can fashion them the way they want to suit their needs. This is a fundamental feature of any political system whereby ALL rules are made to protect those in power so that they can retain power. Democracy is repealing itself and we are the obedient spectators of the debacle by cowardice, fatigue, lack of prospects or more often than not something approaching the Stockholm syndrome.

DC explained his wife was ill displaying possible Covid symptoms, he himself had been in contact with others already diagnosed with the virus. He had a 4 year old child and concerned that they both would also be affected And neither parent would be able to look after the child.

When you are worried, have concerns, fears, who do you turn to, coming from a loving family I turn to my them, because I trust them and care for them and they care for me.  Do I turn to my boss not at all,  I might inform him after the event providing I’m well enough. 

As a boss when a close employee with a track record, didn’t turn up for work I would likely make enquires when time scale permitted more from concern, assuming I wasn’t ill myself, and accept that unless the were exceptional circumstances they would be there. 

Perhaps I am wrong in my perception of this and the way I look at it.  

It’s not about my dog ate my homework excuse, unless I had proof that’s proof to the contrary I’d take the word of my employee rather than a journalist who were looking for a story and not interested in the events that might follow. ( I’ve had experience of journalists, and aware following an interview the subsequent reporting didn’t resemble anything factual, when questioned the reporting told well what do you care you got the publicity.) So what’s occurred.

Did this man by taking his family late one evening, when having concerns after extablishing his wife was ill and suspected Covid 19 worried of catching it himself.

Endanger life more or the media.

DC was in his car drove 260 miles did not stop and isolated for 14 days. “Well he might have is not proof” just conjecture. This was not a man fleecing expenses, or sleeping with a woman who was sleeping with a spy, or some conspiracy, or fabricating of information to attack another country or even getting his married girlfriend to pop in. It was a man quietly wishing to care for his family and protecting his extended family from harassment and possibly treats. 

On the other hand has publishing this and extending this to extraordinary length undermined what the government was trying to do, to the point that other might feel its now OK to engage in large groups visiting family and friends for BBQ’s giving the people an excuse to do just what they have been wanting to. 

I know where my feeling lay.

His drive out to establish whether he was fit to drive, did he endanger lives, even members on our forum have gone out just for a drive having been cooped up, let alone had a potential life threatening virus. I believe the danger is no if he distanced himself which he confined he did. So unless there is proof to the contrary it’s just journalists gossip. The article about powerful people more likely to break the rules, the photos of people on beaches and in parks show that their are always those that will BREAK rules even guidelines whether in power or not. Although DC it seems has not.

Was this really as news worthy as the press and media particularly the BBC as it appears to be to them or something to fill there papers and television programs as they appear to offer very little else.

Finished my break back to painting.

We now have a new contender to join the three best excuses.

1. The big boys did it and ran away.

2. Your cheque is in the post.

3. I had to go for a drive to check my eyesight. (As publicly admitted by DC and MG (Not the car)).