40 minutes ago, Fireman049 said:

I take your point Peter ~ 

But how do we condone wasting Public money on royal palaces when they are one of the richest people in the world??

Tom.

Hi Tom,

You clearly aren't a fan of the Tory Party, or New Labour to judge from your posts about TB.  It doesn't look like you are a Royalist either so who would you like to be in charge?  Jezza - surely not!  Who is going to save us from this mess?

Rgds Ian

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

HELP THE NHS ~ I've let my adjoining empty house (fully furnished) to four NHS nurses free of charge during this National Emergency. We have a very large General Hospital at the top of the r

Very very Harsh Geko. I see a man, in an unenviable position, doing his utmost to balance the impossible tasks of trying to control the spread of a new novel virus - for which there is no treatme

By the book...

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Fireman049 said:

Isn't it wonderful that the Tory boys soon found plenty of OUR money to renovate Harry and Meghan Sparkle's gaff ~ then these two scroungers scarpered away to Canada.

Canada don't want them and now they are scrounging off America. All OUR money could now have been better spent providing protection and screening

for all our Health workers and others.   Remember again when the Tory boys soon found OUR money to rebuild Windsor Castle after the fire!!

Disgusting.

Tom.

I have to say Tom, I do find your rants, prejudices, half truths and non facts really very tiresome.

John.

I have to say Tom, I do find your rants, prejudices, half truths and non facts really very tiresome.

More completely pathetic & sad than tiresome.......

Tom, this was a seriuos thread about an existential threat to all of us, and having it interrupted does not hlep my wobbly hands respond to equally seriuos queries. Peter

27 minutes ago, John Morrison said:

John.

My position is a little different. Tom is quite entitled to hold tiresome views, indulge his prejudices, and peddle half truths and non facts on this forum when they are about TRs. When they're about something else, they should be posted on a more appropriate forum.

Damning.... Imagine #10 people pushing their trolleys in a near empty test supermarket and trying to outbid other customers. TP rolls stories spring to mind.

Ministers have been flailing. What has emerged is a picture of confusion and uncertainty at the top, with ministers making promises they cannot keep and apparently with little comprehension of the global tussle for tests that may make it impossible for the UK to buy its way belatedly out of the problem. 

The UK is now competing with every other nation to obtain the kits it needs, particularly the polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test, which tells someone whether they have Covid-19 or not. 

The Guardian has been told that presidents and prime ministers are trying to outbid each other to secure these kits and their components, which are in short supply. The US also has woken up to the need to test – and is telling companies that export them that America must come first.

“In all countries we have prime ministers calling the CEOs and diagnostic companies to try to get hold of the stocks. Indonesia and Peru we know have offered to order several million tests and send private planes to pick the tests up. There is more going on behind the scenes to secure supplies,” 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/01/absolutely-wrong-how-uk-coronavirus-test-strategy-unravelled

It is possible that a link can be made between the Coronavirus and the expenditure of the state upon the Royal family causing an underfunding of various NHS and other state expenditure, so on that basis I believe Toms postings don't fall outside this threads remit, on that basis I would support Tom to be able to post this.

I don't however agree fully with the accuracy of Tom's posting because I understand the costs incurred for the refurbishment originally picked up by the state have since been agreed to be reimbursed by Harry and Meg (about 2 £m I believe (how bad was that cottage !).Also  of course although Canada was keen to have the "Terrible two" (three with child) the extraordinary costs for protection (estimated at over £2.8 million per annum)  were enough to persuade most sensible Canucs "the hell with that, no wonder the Brits want out " ! 

I understand that now the wandering "sponges" have elected to reside within the US which caused a Donald Trump statement of "great new's, I like them bigly (what !) Oh...but we aren't paying,they've got to pay security themselves"  which I understand is now estimated at over £3.5 million (better class of assassin apparently) !

So Tom, keep on posting, I hope your many friends here on the Forum will continue to laugh and cry with you and please keep up the cartoons, your work lifts our hearts.

Mick Richards

3 minutes ago, Motorsport Mickey said:

It is possible that a link can be made between the Coronavirus and the expenditure of the state upon the Royal family causing an underfunding of various NHS and other state expenditure,

Mick Richards

Mick

Hi

I would be interested to see any data/information to back up your assertion.

I am neither for or agin' Toms post, just interested

Not an assertion John, I didn't say I knew of any just that it was possible (inferred) that a link may exist and as such Tom's assertion may be correct and therefore within the realms of this Corona virus post.

Mick Richards

14 minutes ago, Geko said:

The UK is now competing with every other nation to obtain the kits it needs, particularly the polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test, which tells someone whether they have Covid-19 or not. 

There seems little point in using these tests on the bulk of the population. They only show whether you are currently infectious. They do not indicate whether you have had the infection with no symptoms and are now immune,  nor whether you have not had it and are still at risk.  Also they are reportedly very inaccurate when used on people in the early stages of infection, giving many false negatives.  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51491763

Their only real use appears to be to give some indication whether NHS staff are at risk of infecting their patients.

The only really useful test seems to be one for antibodies (serology test) but I understand none are readily available yet. 

12 minutes ago, RobH said:

There seems little point in using these tests on the bulk of the population. They only show whether you are currently infectious. They do not indicate whether you have had the infection with no symptoms and are now immune,  nor whether you have not had it and are still at risk.  Also they are reportedly very inaccurate when used on people in the early stages of infection, giving many false negatives.  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51491763

Their only real use appears to be to give some indication whether NHS staff are at risk of infecting their patients.

The only really useful test seems to be one for antibodies (serology test) but I understand none are readily available yet. 

Not necessary or feasible to test the bulk of the population, as you say. BUT antigen tests on all suspected infected or exposed individuals within the community are crucial, in conjunction with decent contact tracing measures, in chasing down outbreak clusters. As was done in South Korea to contain the outbreak and vital while there is no vaccine on the near horizon and there are still large numbers of vulnerable uninfected individuals within the population (in 'shielding' for now but that can't last forever).

I was in Sierra Leone during the UK's response to the ebola outbreak in 2014, I'm not a medic but as I recall establishing adequate rapid testing capacity was pretty much number one priority. Probably because 'herd immunity' or 'mitigation' strategies were inconceivable in the case of a virus with 50%+ CFR. Unlike in UK now, where we seem initially to have thought large scale antigen testing capacity would be irrelevant but we're now realising it is really really important as letting a couple of hundred thousand folks die isn't conscionable.

Nigel

Does anyone have an idea how accurate these tests are? I've been told by a friend in Germany that they've had many 'false positive' test results, which might help explain why they have so many identified cases but very few fatalities.

It is, after all, a new virus, so nobody has more than a few months' experience of working with it.

Pete

1 hour ago, stillp said:

Does anyone have an idea how accurate these tests are? I've been told by a friend in Germany that they've had many 'false positive' test results, which might help explain why they have so many identified cases but very few fatalities.

It is, after all, a new virus, so nobody has more than a few months' experience of working with it.

Pete

That was emphasised by Whitty and Vallance (plus their stand-ins) ..... they stressed the point that testing for the sake of testing (to satisfy the popular cries) was of little value if the results could not be relied upon.  They expressed the view that they wouldn’t proceed down that path unless the quality of the results was high.

i do hope that the noise from the crowd has not swayed their stance

....... Andy 

15 hours ago, acaie said:

My position is a little different. Tom is quite entitled to hold tiresome views, indulge his prejudices, and peddle half truths and non facts on this forum when they are about TRs. When they're about something else, they should be posted on a more appropriate forum.

Good morning acaie, 

Just a gentle reminder that it was not so long ago that you held ‘tiresome views, prejudices and peddled half truths’ on this very Forum concerning Mod’s and Exclamation marks ! .... Of all Things!!!!???

Nobody on here ganged-up on the shirt-tails of others to knock you... I’m not religious but they did teach us something good as kids: “Let the innocent / perfect one throw the stones”

As another with some 'tiresome views' and a muesli-eating Guardian reader to boot, I feel free to point out that in the US, the home of unfettered capitalism, the individual states are competing for a limited supply of PPE, ventilators etc, and forcing the prices up.   

https://nypost.com/2020/03/31/cuomo-blames-ventilator-shortage-on-competition-with-fema-states/

1 hour ago, john.r.davies said:

As another with some 'tiresome views' and a muesli-eating Guardian reader to boot, I feel free to point out that in the US, the home of unfettered capitalism, the individual states are competing for a limited supply of PPE, ventilators etc, and forcing the prices up.   

https://nypost.com/2020/03/31/cuomo-blames-ventilator-shortage-on-competition-with-fema-states/

Tiresome?

Can I suggets; provocative

Muesli eater?

Can I suggest; porridge pots (home made, easy, tasty, good)

Guardian reader?

Can I suggets;  hmmm . . . . . Can I come back to you on this one

To boot?

Well, one boot wouldn't be much good would it?

11 hours ago, AndyR100 said:

That was emphasised by Whitty and Vallance (plus their stand-ins) ..... they stressed the point that testing for the sake of testing (to satisfy the popular cries) was of little value if the results could not be relied upon.  They expressed the view that they wouldn’t proceed down that path unless the quality of the results was high.

i do hope that the noise from the crowd has not swayed their stance

....... Andy 

I agree. Unless the tests are close to 100% dependable they would be at best a waste of resource.

Pete

The science of false positive and false negative testing is one that consumes pathologists.  There's a lot more to it than "100% reliability"

See the Wiki as a starter: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_positives_and_false_negatives

HELP THE NHS ~

I've let my adjoining empty house (fully furnished) to four NHS nurses free of charge during this National Emergency.

We have a very large General Hospital at the top of the road. Some of these nurses have to travel large distances to the hospital.

Now these nurses are in walking distance to the hospital. My late wife was a Nurse and I'm sure she would approve of my actions.

It's the least we can do for our 'Angels' who work very long and dedicated hours.

When this emergency is over my Grand-daughter and her family will move into the house. 

Tom.