49 minutes ago, Spit_2.5PI said:

Sue, we only finished repaying the loan from our "friends" the Americans back in - when was it? - 2005 or 2015, from when they pulled the (financial) rug out from under us days after the end of WW2.

Cheers, Richard

Yep, that’s exactly what I meant. :0)

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

HELP THE NHS ~ I've let my adjoining empty house (fully furnished) to four NHS nurses free of charge during this National Emergency. We have a very large General Hospital at the top of the r

Very very Harsh Geko. I see a man, in an unenviable position, doing his utmost to balance the impossible tasks of trying to control the spread of a new novel virus - for which there is no treatme

By the book...

Posted Images

1 hour ago, RobH said:

A proper assessment at last:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51979654

It seems the government response is being based on an assumed potential infection rate of 80% of the population ( in the IC computer model).

It is interesting that evidence from the Diamond Princess cruise ship showed an infection rate of only 20% in a closed community, across all age groups including the over-70s. It was ten days before the infection was recognised and after that isolation measures were reported as poor.  In approximate figures, of the 3700 people on board only 700 became infected, half of whom had no symptoms  - and of the other half,  7 died. 

The Imperial model proposes periodic release of isolation and pub etc closures to deliver rpeated pulses of infection, each of which does not overhwhelm NHS,

The saw-tooth graph shows the scheme. That will be the quickest way of reaching 70-80% with minimal preventable deaths.

Peter

I daren't ask why prince Charles got a prompt free check-up on the NHS when our Health workers, emergency workers and taxpayers are ignored??

Tom.

PS: Stand-by for my 'superiors' in this Club to put me down for asking a pertinent question. 

Tom.

Who said it was free and on the NHS Tom?  Perhaps the Duchy has a good private health scheme ?

18 minutes ago, Mick Forey said:

Most of the media were quite clear in that he was tested in accordance to the criteria as applied to everybody else in the country.

Mick

I find that hard to believe. With mild symptoms you are not routinely tested. On admission to hospital, yes. 
From my Isolation Ward/ bedroom, Day 6 of 7. It’s been mild, thankfully. Can’t wait to get out.

Iain

Here in the US we are being told dont wear a mask in public, they are not effective and in the same sentence told the folks in the medical profession are desperate for masks, even home made ones, because they need the protection. That makes no sense and this video has a lot of interesting detail.

3 minutes ago, Fireman049 said:

I consider myself 'put down' by my 'superiors'.

Tom.

Never mind Tom -  have a chuckle at this

Untitledc.thumb.jpg.f7952a71f03c0bfa3477ea91844bdd35.jpg

Made me chuckle ....... Is his mum, the Queen, giving him the royal wave?

Shouldn't Andy be in the other naughty corner? (And that’s not Fergie he’s goosing!) ............. Although, she appears to be enjoying it!

Edited by Tony_C
Even funnier bit!?

Private health care or no, this is a national emergency.   To use test kits sorely needed elsewhere is an abuse of priviledge.  There are reports of private virus tests being available for two-three times the cost price of the test kit.  Now, I got very angry on another site, before I heard this, so I won't let myself do so again.  It's not good for me.

But to tell you why.  Daughter is an NHS consultant.  So is Son-in Law.  Both have been in self isolation (together) because Grandson no.3 had symptoms.    So the NHS is deprived of their services for 14 days because there are no kits to test if junior has CV19.  This is not an isolated story, but repeated everywhere, up and down the NHS.   And Charlie, as useless a piece of decorative flummery as was ever seen, gets tested, when he and his partner have no children living with them, no duties to perform as everything has been closed down and a nice little holiday home to retreat to (which the plebs have been told not to do!).

Hardly equal.    And an indightment of the lack of preparedness and delay shown by the Tory government.

John

Ok, I got through that with only a slight increase in  heart rate and no hyperventilation.  But I can tell you, I AM REALLY ANGRY ABOUT THIS! 

Now, 'cool green grass'   Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

Edited by john.r.davies
19 minutes ago, john.r.davies said:

Private health care or no, this is a national emergency.   To use test kits sorely needed elsewhere is an abuse of priviledge.  There are reports of private virus tests being available for two-three times the cost price of the test kit.  Now, I got very angry on another site, before I heard this, so I won't let myself do so again.  It's not good for me.

But to tell you why.  Daughter is an NHS consultant.  So is Son-in Law.  Both have been in self isolation (together) because Grandson no.3 had symptoms.    So the NHS is deprived of their services for 14 days because there are no kits to test if junior has CV19.  This is not an isolated story, but repeated everywhere, up and down the NHS.   And Charlie, as useless a piece of decorative flummery as was ever seen, gets tested, when he and his partner have no children living with them, no duties to perform as everything has been closed down and a nice little holiday home to retreat to (which the plebs have been told not to do!).

Hardly equal.    And an indightment of the lack of preparedness and delay shown by the Tory government.

John

Ok, I got through that with only a slight increase in  heart rate and no hyperventilation.  But I can tell you, I AM REALLY ANGRY ABOUT THIS! 

Now, 'cool green grass'   Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

As always John, good points very well made....

Now.............. Just as you are calming down,........... Did you all notice that the post that kicked this all off (Poor old Mick again - The only Director who will ever stand up to be counted on here and really good on him for it!)

Quoted the very same Daily Newspapers we all established here (even Derek!) are ‘The Enemy’; Mail, Express... Sun should only ever be used for / fit for that pace where it don’t actually shine......

12 minutes ago, Derek Hurford said:

Yes, look after yourself Derek.....

Just been out on the drive clapping like mad (really proud of all the NHS Doctor family members and the lot of them).... fair to say, it has not got off to a flying start in our village.. 

7 minutes ago, Tony_C said:

Just been out on the drive clapping like mad (really proud of all the NHS Doctor family members and the lot of them).... fair to say, it has not got off to a flying start in our village.. 

This was very well supported here in CONGLETON. 

clapping heard from all directions. 

thank you all carers, nhs and support staff. Together with all the food and essentials supply chain staff. 

You know, this may not be popular but, to hell with it . . . . . 

I can understand the wish to demonstrate our support for the people who are putting themselves in the firing line, but, what about all those who have done so over the last 70 years and those who will (we hope) do it for the next 70.

Flu outbreaks (don't forget the average 8000 deaths/yr), AIDS and all the other problems we bring them, day in, day out, year in year out.

The results of our constant demands are breakdowns, long term mental health problems (akin to PTSD) and suicide.

The NHS staff put their lives on the line for us every day, not just these days

Drops back into bunker