i have just stripped the dash ready to recover and have found several holes for switches which have been fitted over the years. i would like to know which to weld up to go back to original.  So do you have a photo of the standard TR 3 dash ?

Roy

Here are photos of the backside of my TR3B's dash panel prior to restoration.  Note that the holes on the driver side (LHD) were used for heater rheostat and windscreen washer pump.  They're now used for rheostat and overdrive switch.

It's not uncommon to use a rubber panel plug to blank off an unused hole.  Depending on where your holes are and what future plans you may have for them, Roy, that may be an option over welding them closed.

i-t6VJ22P-X5.jpg

i-b64gLNb-X5.jpg

i-BbBzvRm-X5.jpg

Thanks for those

so the hole next to the rev with the flat top is for rheostat and the one near the door is for the overdrive switch .  Is that correct?

i have several others to fill 

Roy

Which manual was that Deggers - my "service instruction manual" TR2 with TR3 supplement (original red hardback cover) does not show that page ?

Bob.

Practical Hints for TR3 owners.

https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr2-4a/books-manuals-dvds/owners-handbook-tr3a-501528-3.html

TR3 Vehicle Owners Handbook I would guess.  The one that contains the TR3A wiring diagram.

Or perhaps

TR 2 Owners Handbook

https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr2-4a/books-manuals-dvds/owners-handbook-tr2-501528-1.html

Cheers

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
1 hour ago, Lebro said:

Which manual was that Deggers?

Hi Bob, it's from "The Official Complete TR2 & TR3" manual. Published by Robert Bentley Inc, comprising the 'Service Instruction Manual' and the 'Driver's Instruction Book'. (Also available as a downloadable PDF. Link HERE)

An original slim-line edition of the Triumph sports car driver's 'Instruction Book' is worth acquiring however : a handy addition to the glove box.

TRinstructBook.thumb.jpg.8e86fb3447cb3a25fbf129b3184203bb.jpg

TRinstruct2.thumb.jpg.3615501976bbef2b524d0465dce67be3.jpg

Cheers, Deggers

Edited by Deggers
Added link

I see page 17 states "screen washer (where fitted) so I guess the hole is present in the steel, but covered with vinyl where not fitted (as per O/D switch)

Pretty sure my early '3 did not have the hole at all, I made one in that position to fit a cigar lighter socket in the 1970's, but have filled it in now.

Bob.

was the washer perhaps for the 3A ?

My 3 is the last off the production line but whilst it has a hole in that area it shows signs of being DIY and larger than i would expect 12mm . Also it was non overdrive but again there is a hole in the indicated position which again has been much enlarged by hand it would seem to 19mm . Holes for map lights and 4 other switch / warning light ones that require filling.

in the TR2 service manual body page 13 it shows the overdrive switch position  , which is a pull switch ?

in TR2 parts catalogue it shows the metal dash with no holes.  Plate AN in the body section.

Roy

9 hours ago, Fireman049 said:

I believe that all TR2's had push/pull switches for the overdrive. I only came across the 'egg' shaped overdrive switches on 3A's?

Tom.

Mine did. In the TS 5000s.