Ignition wiring issues

Whilst my gearbox is out I decided to tidy up the wiring behind the dash. A PO had converted the car from its original plinth mounted ignition switch to a later column mounted one. The wiring conversion used the standard extension wiring kit, however there are a couple of oddities. The Brown/White wire that originally connected to the dash switch has been extended, however, the lunar connector has been cut off inside the spiral wrap around the extension loom. As the pic shows, a Red wire has been run and this connects into one of the small tags on the Ammeter, both original Brown/White wires are still connected to the Ammeter so I don't see why they would have done this? The Yellow wire is another oddity, it runs to a Brown/Blue wire that I believe comes from the headlight light stalk.

I could use a straightforward conversion table between the later style ignition switch to the earlier style, does anyone have one? I have looked in the manual but it isn't clear enough for me :-)

Ian

Oldrear.jpg

I think there should be :-

2 brown/white wires to No.1 tag. One goes to the ammeter & one to the column light switch.

3 White wires to No2 tag.  One goes to ignition light, one to oil pressure warning light  & the other to the fuse box.

1 White/red wire to No.3 tag. This feeds the the starter solinoid.  Tag No4 is for a radio feed.

John   

Edited by jah
On 3/13/2020 at 8:15 PM, jah said:

I think there should be :-

2 brown/white wires to No.1 tag. One goes to the ammeter & one to the column light switch.

3 White wires to No2 tag.  One goes to ignition light, one to oil pressure warning light  & the other to the fuse box.

1 White/red wire to No.3 tag. This feeds the the starter solinoid.  Tag No4 is for a radio feed.

John   

Thanks John, this agrees with what I'd found elsewhere, I have wired the switch up accordingly and whilst moving to position one does  power things up, turning to the starting position turns things off, release key power is back, the fun continues.

Try this :-

2 brown/white wires to No.3 tag. One goes to the ammeter & one to the column light switch.

3 White wires to No2 tag.  One goes to ignition light, one to oil pressure warning light  & the other to the fuse box.

1 White/red wire to No.1 tag. This feeds the the starter solinoid.  Tag No4 is for a radio feed.

John   

It works, I'd wired it up correctly but I'd only just put the Earth clamp on the terminal, not tightened it up. Once the Earth clamp was tightened the car fired just fine, all seems well for now. My new dash should arrive tomorrow, I'm looking forward to seeing it all together again.