Hi all,

looking for the name of the following, so I can buy one.

Small 'Bit' that you pop in a drill, has a cone shaped end with a blade, used to trim the end of a cut bolt, threaded bar etc.

Cheers,

John.

Hi John

Laser tool no. 7510 external deburr/chamfer tool, guide price £16.87+vat.

Regards

Harvey S.Maitland

Please report back on how well it works please.

I am still old school using a flat file and a thread file if the thread is really  mangled.

Cheers

Peter W

18 minutes ago, Lebro said:

I use a lathe  :rolleyes: (or a grindstone)

Bob.

...and while we are on that Bob how do you sharpen tools and drills?  

Do you use an universal tool and cutter grinder?

Peter W

15 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

I am still old school using a flat file and a thread file if the thread is really  mangled.

Cheers

Peter W

Same here!

Stuart.

I simply used a (female) tap, it does not remove material in these cases, just rectifies the profile. 
Waldi

On 3/12/2020 at 6:58 PM, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Cheers

Peter W

Me too.

A Die Nut is easy to run down a burred thread to clean it up without removing extra material.

Dave McD

Not so easy on four studs on a car, I've ordered the tool and will report back on the effect,

I will run a nut up the stud prior to tool use, so that will help with thread cleaning on removal.

John.

I've often wondered why 'proper' dies, to be used in a die holder, and Die Nuts, were available.   

So a die nut is for cleaning up a thread, a 'proper' die for cutting it in the first place?  Thanks, Dave!

I've made my own die nuts before, to clean up a stud thread, by cutting slots inside across the threads.   Works well, but probably single use only and throw away.

John

10 hours ago, john.r.davies said:

I've often wondered why 'proper' dies, to be used in a die holder, and Die Nuts, were available.   

So a die nut is for cleaning up a thread, a 'proper' die for cutting it in the first place?  Thanks, Dave!

I've made my own die nuts before, to clean up a stud thread, by cutting slots inside across the threads.   Works well, but probably single use only and throw away.

John

Yes John, spot on.

I've also used the hacksaw cut in a conventional nut solution when the die nuts aren't to hand.

Dave

The problem with a die nut or a but with slots cut in is getting it started.

If the first few threads are damaged you may well end up damaging more threads

The picture below came up on the TSSC forum last year.

It is a clamp of hardened split nuts You clamp it in the middle where the threads may well be OK and unwind to clean the start threads.

Genius - but long gone.

Roger

Die Nut.jpeg

What a brilliant bit of kit Roger. I'd snap it up like a shot if I ever saw one. Just goes to show the simplest ideas are the best!

Tim

Hi John,

I think the item below qualifies as the tool for the job, it is called a ROST – Restorer Of Spoilt Threads

A fully engineered solution for dealing with damaged threads, thought to be from the 1930’s, however it is limited to three thread types – BSF, Whit and Metric.

Regards, Richard

4.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

3 minutes ago, RAHTR4 said:

Hi John,

I think the item below qualifies as the tool for the job, it is called a ROST – Restorer Of Spoilt Threads

A fully engineered solution for dealing with damaged threads, thought to be from the 1930’s, however it is limited to three thread types – BSF, Whit and Metric.

Regards, Richard

4.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

That's a clever bit of kit.

Dave McD