Dipswitch Solution

Please forgive me if this topic has already been posted, I don't have time ( Im lazy really ) to read through them all.

If like me you hate the inconvenient at best and downright dangerous at worst, foot dip switch, here is a solution which I much prefer.

Remove said dip switch. Transfer the three wires to a VW Beetle / T2 Van etc. Headlamp relay, available new on flea bay or VW garages

Blue to relay term. 56,   Blue/White to term. 56a,   Blue/Red to term. 56b. This leaves two terminals, 30 and S, 30 needs a new wire run up to the purple feed for the existing headlamp flasher  Brown wire, which should be disconnected, as should the existing Blue/White wire from the switch. The brown wire from the switch should now be extended and taken to a suitable earth point and a new wire run from the Blue/White wire from the switch  down to the relay term. S

The relay should be secured to the scuttle or side panel. I used a Mehle relay which has a small spring clip and I used this to clip the relay on to the cable sucuring tab that is convenientlylocated above the old dip switch.

This clever little relay now works as follows :-  lights off or in sidelights only, any pull on the flasher switch does just that. Headlights switched on, each successive pull on the flasher switch alternates between main and dip, Your foot is now free to oparate the clutch when required without dazzling the unfortunate who happens round the corner during your gearchange.

I hope this is clear, if you are interested and have any questions I will try to help.

Richard..

Hi John, thanks for the comment, however, I do not find the search engine to be very helpful, maybe its me, but the thread it took me too was about general wiring discrepancies not dipswitch relevant. Have I missed something here ?

Regards.

Richard..

32 minutes ago, SpeedFreak said:

Have I missed something here ?

Regards.

Don't use the forum search function Richard. Just google something like "TR forum TR4 dipswitch"

That brings up all these links which you could select from:

Early TR4 Foot Dipping Switch. - TR4/4A Forum 3 May 2014

Relocating dip switch. - TR6 Forum 13 Jul 2015

Next instalment of questions: TR4A Fuel tank and dip switch - TR4 ...3 Sep 2012

TR4A Dipswitch - TR4/4A Forum 26 Feb 2020

Hi Richard,

the search engine does not like 3 letter words - so TR4,  Dip etc will not work.

Roger

PS - I just popped the following into the search  - TR4A headlight flasher - and got many replies the first one was spot on.

Edited by RogerH

I just found a column switch that was the same style as the OD switch but that acted as a dip switch fitted to the other side of a column. Think it was from an austin Westminster. Then just fitted using another OD shroud so that there is one on each side.

Tim

Was one like this 

Column dip switch

Cheers

• 2 years later...

Hi all

Just added a slightly modified version of this conversion to my 1971 TR6. I was never keen on the floor mounted switchover

I've disconnected the floor high/Low switch and connected those wires to the new Meyle 100 941 0006 latching relay.

I've added a 40A Normally Open Relay to the flash circuit. I've added two Diodes to isolate the signals to each relay too.

I'm using the existing Flasher Stalk to switch the Earth/0V connection to each relay , also reducing the current drawn through the stalk switch.

See my drawing attached TR6 flash_hi_lo.pdf . Feel free to ask questions.

TR6 flash_hi_lo.pdf