RHD LH Grab handle crash pad

Hi Folks,

I have had to take the dash board (wood and metal) out in order to replace the top crash pad.

Whilst I'm at it I decided to replace the both the left and right pads at knee level.

I bought a new off side pad and the top pad and had to recover the grab handle.

Firstly work out a plan of attack. There are areas where the vinyl wants to pucker up.

I cot out a very generous shape to start with

Next I glued the vinyl along the bottom of the handle to give something to pull against.

Then wrap the vinyl around the handle. Make sure everything is pulled tight.  Also ensure that there is plenty of overlap behind the handle.

Run a line of glue up the middle of the large area at the nearside end. This will allow the vinyl to be pulled tight and stop any puckering.

For the front of the dash (the bit you normally see) pull the vinyl tight into the concave curve (where the vents are), Then pull tight the two flat area. Fold over into the back of the handle.

The large area at the back of the metal dash is fairly easy. Do not fold the vinyl over the edges as this needs to be attached to the metal work once put in place.

I could have re-covered the right hand side  but went for a new item.

It looked quite presentable when finished. It took about 2 hours.

I'll do a pic tomorrow

Roger

DSC_4707a.jpg

DSC_4709a.jpg

Edited by RogerH

Great job. Mine needs doing (lower near side handle and centre piece). I presume the dash doesn’t have to come out. Where did you get the right vinyl and adhesive, please?

Andy

Andy,

sadly the metal dash needs to be released and or removed to enable the grab handle vinyl to wrap around the outer edge.

If you go down the route of recovering what you have (usually works out very wel) then remember to have the existing vinyl surface as smooth as possibly - irregularities will show through.

All the vinyl siurces produce different grain - nearly similar - but different. Shop around.

Peter,

TRF were in the loop for sorting this LH RHD grab handle but their supplier has been bought out and the trail has gone cold.

How far did you get with Albert?

Roger

Roger et all - I believe TR Shop are now selling these LH RHD grab handle crash pads but I haven't seen any in real life yet to judge how good they are - anyone know where they are sourcing them from?

Cheers Rich

36 minutes ago, rcreweread said:

Roger et all - I believe TR Shop are now selling these LH RHD grab handle crash pads but I haven't seen any in real life yet to judge how good they are - anyone know where they are sourcing them from?

Cheers Rich

Rich - I think you will find Roger bought one (£160 each) and after offering it up, returned it for a full refund.

Evening Roger as your just doing you dash your the man to ask, I am looking at replacing the dash top and maybe the wooden dash to do this do I have to remove the metal part of the dash, I realise I have to take out the clocks and switches but my lower crash pads are not vinyl so just fix onto the bottom of the metal dash, hope you can advise me.

Mike. Redrose group 

sadly the metal dash needs to be released and or removed to enable the grab handle vinyl to wrap around the outer edge.

And also to undo the metal 'tang' that wraps over the very top of the dash panel in each corner - not sure you'd manage them without removing the dash, or at least lifting it forward.

Hi Mike,

you do need to remove the metal dash to fit the top crash pad. The pad has a lower flange that needs to be trapped between the metal dash and the upper body work.

The metal dash is very easy - 5 Phillips screws along the top & 2 hex head screws (one at each side).

When you get the dash pad look at where the pad coincides with the cage nuts for the 5 Phillips screws. The pad needs to be cut away to allow it to sit flat.

Hi John - you can just about unclip that metal strip at the outer corners. Removing the metal dash is so much easier.

Roger

I agree, everything is so much easier with the dash removed - just in the process of mocking this one up before fitting.....

Dash.jpg

Afternoon Roger, hope all is going well with your dashboard / wiring. All the parts for my dashboard and dash top have arrived, just wondering if you could give me any tips on which order to start the removal of the dash etc. 

Chillman. your dash is looking very nice, did you build all the dash up and then offer it up to all the wiring? And then fix in place.

Mike Redrose group  

C8FDC23A-9791-4EFB-8EC4-1A73FD543E95.jpeg

Hi Mike, it's a bit the opposite way around on this one, because there are so many alterations on the car the old loom has been consigned to the spares bin & I'm going to make a bespoke loom around the fixed items, albeit in the case of the dash I suspect some of the individual gauges/switches etc. will still probably have to be removed prior to enable final connections....

6 hours ago, brenda said:

Afternoon Roger, hope all is going well with your dashboard / wiring. All the parts for my dashboard and dash top have arrived, just wondering if you could give me any tips on which order to start the removal of the dash etc. 

Chillman. your dash is looking very nice, did you build all the dash up and then offer it up to all the wiring? And then fix in place.

Mike Redrose group  

C8FDC23A-9791-4EFB-8EC4-1A73FD543E95.jpeg

Hi Mike,

Remove screen frame -  3 screws along the top of the dash, 2 nuts - one on each frame strut. 4 screws at top of the 'A' post (open the doors to see them.

Remove 'H; dash support.

Remove 5 attachment screws on the wooden dash. Remove the small gauge wiring and speedo & tacho. Glove box and hinge.

Remove 5 phillips  mushroom headed screws  along the top edge. remove the 1/4 unf hex head screw at each side of the metal dash.

If the airvents need any work on them do it now.

The only iffy part is if the frame is stuck !!!

Roger

The only iffy part is if the frame is stuck !!!

And boy do they get stuck, I dropped my newly painted frame back in place last week just as a safe place to put it until glazed, it's still hovering half inch above the dash top....can I get it back out ..can I b&£@@r..:wacko:

2 minutes ago, brenda said:

Sounds like the first job is to try and pull the screen frame out then.

Mike Redrose Group 

When the screen is off :lol::lol:  have a good close look at the outer lower corners.

This is where any water collects and can get very very rusty.  Usually repairable but can be great fun.

Roger

Just as a small edition to Rogers post, I fitted a new top dashed to my last TR (Black one) and the fir between the pad and the steel dash was poor.

To make it much neater I fitted a piece of Alloy about an inch wide, and above that a piece of black vinyl wrapped around a quarter inch diameter plastic tube, to fill and hide the 

poor dash fit.  The finished article was much neater.  Just an idea but also if anyone has a RHD left side grab handle for renovation please get in touch so I can copy Rogers suggestions.

DSC05677.JPG

Sorry, not being very good with vinyl and glue I went to TRGB who will recover your old one or do an exchange. I paid £49+vat each for a left & right lower crash pad exchange and around £100+vat for the top pad. Well worth the money & look really good. Only trouble is I have now had to send off the centre switch plate for recovering as it looks tatty beside the others. Fortunately I had the H frame recovered a couple of years ago.

I also sent them the vinyl door tops but these were too bad to recover. New ones were around £200 per pair from memory but I am replacing with the wooden ones ( without handles) from the TR6. Not fitted yet but look really good.

cheers,

Allan