Remanufactured grills

Hi having very nearly completed my 4 rebuild and colour change the old grill is looking decidedly grotty.

I See Moss offer replacements, and there seems to be a constant supply on ebay, anyone any experience of these items regarding quality and Fit?

Thanks,

john.

John,

The gril on a 4 is ali so If its not too bent it should clean up ok with a brillo pad followed with wire wool and a final polish with something like brasso

Cheers

Alan

My experience with the new repro ones is that they are about 1/4 too big for the hole - so you end up filing large chunks off the edges to make them fit, without knackering your new £200 grill. Neither easy or fun. if you dont do this properly the grill rubs and removes the paint.

I would say buy the best used one you can and either polish it up or get it polished. It will cost the same but you will get a far better result.

One thing to think about is if your car has repro front wings - these tend to be more bulbous (even when fitted professionally), so are more suited to the repro grills (which to be fair look great when lying on the ground beside the car!), so less filing / bending needed.

Regards

Tony

Thanks both,

Just as I suspected Tony, wings are origial's via Walter, so the car is spot on, think I will 'Search' a good used one and live with the grotty one for now, it's not as thought I have nothing else left to do.

Cheers,

john.

The gril on a 4 is ali so If its not too bent it should clean up ok with a brillo pad followed with wire wool and a final polish with something like brasso

Correct me if I'm wrong (and there's a lot of guys out there that know a lot more than I do) but isn't the TR4 grille 'bright finish' (as against actually polished) and then lacquered?

This leaves the problem that of you rub down (I think 600 grade then 1000 grade would be more appropriate that a brillo pad!) then polish, the finish for the re-finished areas won't be the same as existing, plus you would see a line between the two finshes.

Assuming I'm right about the lacquer finish, it should be removable by paint stripper, but I'm sure it isn't. So removing this has to be done by rubbing down the whole grille. I think the lacquer doesn't come off so easily so it's a long job.

Probably a good idea to get lacquered yourself while you think over the problem and solution.

THe grill on the 4a ( probably the same on the 4) has a bright anodised finish, and as stated in previously posting will be difficult to blend a "rubbed down" area with the existing (I know from experience!!) The same finish is used on the windscreen capping strip. An area always covered in scratches

Regards

Dale

Hi

the TR4 and TR4a grilles are very different - TR4 is pressed aluminium with annodised finish (not as bright as the repro ones), TR4a is made of welded aluminium extrusions, with polished finish.

Either way get an original one ....... same rules apply.

Regards

Tony

• 13 years later...

Apologies for resurrecting a rather old thread, but would members agree with the statement above re TR4a grilles? I need to remove some historic paint overspray on the grille and I'm nervous of using anything  that would damage the annodised aluminium....but if the 4a isn't anodised and is just polished aluminium it maybe isnt so risky to use a cleaning product?

Many thanks

David

Hi Jim,

according to the Moss WebCat the 4A grill has four  welded on tags for holding the rad cowl (I think)

The TR5 does not have these tags.

Also the 4A is not painted.  At some pont one or the other had a squared edge to the horizontal bars and the other had rounded bars

Roger

16 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi Tom,

the Moss WebCat shows it WITH the cut-out. 

However I do not know if they are actually supplied without the cut-out.

Item #68

https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr5-6/body-chassis/body-fittings/front-body-fittings-tr5-tr250-1967-68.html

Roger

As they all come from the same source down here in Redruth its probably just an illustration error in both the online and hard copy catalogue

If you look in the TR Shop flyer its clearly illustrated as not having the cut out

Stuart.

Edited by stuart
  • 3 months later...

I bought one of the Cornish TR4A grilles a couple of years back (£195 on ebay) and am very happy with it. It did need a bit of fettling around the edges, but that could just as easily have been due to the panel fit on my car (which has some intersting gaps if you know where to look). A few hours with a file did the trick. The grille is very well fabricated and looks a treat, compared to the slightly dull, patchy original :

6EEF61F3-EF9C-4A32-8AFA-F7D8801244D8.jpeg

21A0B189-3C05-49CA-AEAE-74717041DEEB.jpegI just realised these photos were taken before I cleaned the grille - any marks are dust from sitting in the garage over the winter!

Edited by ricky30dk