I was thinking of adding bonnet straps to my TR2, however I was not willing to drill holes through the bonnet.

Therefore, I build magnetic, detachable bonnet straps.

You need:

2x Standard bonnet straps
8x Neodym magnets (30x10x2mm)

1) Shorten the screws so that only the srew heads remain
2) Smoothen the edges of the metal covers of the bonnet straps
3) Glue the screw heads to the metal covers using a dual component epoxy adhesive (& let it dry)
4) Cut a piece out of the leather strap ends to place 2 magnets at each side
5) Glue the magnets to the leather straps using a dual component epoxy adhesive (& let it dry)
6) Glue the metal covers on the straps using a dual component epoxy adhesive (& let it dry)
7) Done

Feel free to copy. ;)

IMG_2020-03-09_15-48-32.JPG

IMG_2020-03-09_15-48-20.JPG

IMG_2020-03-09_15-48-09.JPG

IMG_2020-03-09_15-47-59.JPG

Edited by tr2_applegreen

Very neat. For an even more authentic look I would use slotted screw heads.

Just installed a knuckle jointed wing mirror support on the windscreen stanchion, using one of the existing screw holes and a longer (but not too long) single screw at the top of the support, strong double-sided tape under the support bracket and a glued in screw head at the bottom of the support (as I too did not want to drill into the stanchion). Seems very firm. Not claiming originality. Nicked the idea from others. Photo before the dummy screw was glued in.

IMG_0172.JPG

Edited by MilesA

Roy 

I bought the complete package (support, knuckle, mirror with integral arm) from a dealer at the MG / Triumph Show last month. Afraid I do not know who it was (other than an MG supplier) and it was quite costly. Have seen them occasionally in the past but been looking to buy for a year or two.

It is a new 'Desmo' branded circular mirror - hard to find.  I did not want the commonly available oval version. Someone here may know a supplier otherwise very diligent internet searching may help you.  

After initial fitting, I also dismantled the mirror unit and replaced the 'flat' glass mirror with a convex one that I subsequently bought on the internet which gives better visibility.

Forgot to mention that I shaped a piece of rubber to fit into the void under the support which I glued in with Araldite. This stops the support potentially scratching the stanchion.

Miles

I fitted a similar arrangement to a customers TR 2, the arm came from here https://www.completeautomobilist.com/products/806arm-mirror-mounting-arm-adjustable

I found an old Desmo mirror to suit, I used the centre screw on the stanchion as the lower of the two on the arm and as it was never going to be removed anyway I drilled and tapped the stanchion for an upper screw. Having it higher meant you could open the door with the sidescreen mounted and it came nowhere near touching the mirror

Stuart.

patricstr2 005.jpg

That looks a nice job Miles. 
I use a sucker mounted stick-on in the extreme lower right of the windscreen. 
Sold by Halfords as a child back seat monitor thingy. It is very effective and covers the blind spot through the side screens when they are in place. 

It gets swapped to the passenger side when driving in Europe. 

Edited by Drewmotty
  • 1 year later...
On 3/9/2020 at 3:49 PM, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Clever cosmetic approach

Peter W

interesting bonnet catches, yes cosmetic and not structural, but surly not able to withstand prolonged and normal road use, surly they will just drop off after a while.

Edited by R.M.

Neodymium magnets are pretty fierce. I bought some tiny ones to ‘adjust’ my ammeter and gave the spares to my wife to use as fridge magnets. You can’t get the bl**dy things off without something to lever them with. 

Rgds Ian

On 5/27/2021 at 8:38 PM, R.M. said:

interesting bonnet catches, yes cosmetic and not structural, but surly not able to withstand prolonged and normal road use, surly they will just drop off after a while.

They hold for 1,5 years and ~ 3.000km now, without any sign of wear.

Just as Ian says, Neodymium magnets are very very strong, and the epoxy adhesive does its job to keep them together with the leather straps.

In the meantime, I added small squared pieces of transparent paint protection film below the magnets.

• 2 years later...
On 3/9/2020 at 11:14 AM, tr2_applegreen said:

I was thinking of adding bonnet straps to my TR2, however I was not willing to drill holes through the bonnet.

Therefore, I build magnetic, detachable bonnet straps.

You need:

2x Standard bonnet straps
8x Neodym magnets (30x10x2mm)

1) Shorten the screws so that only the srew heads remain
2) Smoothen the edges of the metal covers of the bonnet straps
3) Glue the screw heads to the metal covers using a dual component epoxy adhesive (& let it dry)
4) Cut a piece out of the leather strap ends to place 2 magnets at each side
5) Glue the magnets to the leather straps using a dual component epoxy adhesive (& let it dry)
6) Glue the metal covers on the straps using a dual component epoxy adhesive (& let it dry)
7) Done

Feel free to copy. ;)

IMG_2020-03-09_15-48-32.JPG

IMG_2020-03-09_15-48-20.JPG

IMG_2020-03-09_15-48-09.JPG

IMG_2020-03-09_15-47-59.JPG

Hi sir,

do you make the magnetic bonnet straps for sale? I’ve been looking for a set forever for my Ghia.

please advise? thelynnfirm@gmail.com 

thanks!!!

On 3/10/2020 at 9:17 AM, MilesA said:

Very neat. For an even more authentic look I would use slotted screw heads.

Just installed a knuckle jointed wing mirror support on the windscreen stanchion, using one of the existing screw holes and a longer (but not too long) single screw at the top of the support, strong double-sided tape under the support bracket and a glued in screw head at the bottom of the support (as I too did not want to drill into the stanchion). Seems very firm. Not claiming originality. Nicked the idea from others. Photo before the dummy screw was glued in.

IMG_0172.JPG

does this work with the side screens fitted. To see the mirror ok and open the doors with side screens fitted?

Yes, that is precisely why I eventually installed this particular set up. The knuckle joint enables the mirror to positioned slightly forward and so avoids fouling on the side screen. There is a full view of the mirror too when driving the car.

Miles