Moss hard top fitting

Helping a mate out in fitting his hard top to his TR3. I have the original instructions supplied by Honeybourne and it mentions trimming the top to suit the top of the b post.It does look like a lot more cutting and shutting in this area is needed. Before any cutting what is needed to get it to fit in this area as the side fixing brackets do not line up with the ones that have been fitted in the correct place 

into the original predrilled holes  from the factory on the bodyshell.The side moulding that holds the seals and for a want of a better word are dog leg shaped and push the bottom of the top outwards on the b post.

Does this area need cutting, so it will go over the b post and moulding. A nice clear photo would say a thousand words and help no end.

Can not see the woods for the trees on this one.

Can you help please.

Regards Harry TR5 Nutter

well you may need a chainsaw to clear the woods to see this one. My 1955 came from the factory with a hardtop it never had a soft top and it so far doesn't fit right you see my car was mostly rusted in two. when I get the body back in one piece again I will be fitting the top as I go to insure a good fit  Is this top you are fitting a steel or plastic/fiberglass top? 

Harry I put quite a lot on the forum when I fitted my hardtop. But it was an original steel one so not sure it’s relevant ?

It was the rear brackets I had to sort (once I’d moved the roll bar) to help it fit. 

there are other threads worth searching for  as well

best  of luck

H

PS

don't rely on any of the existing fitting points being in the right place for a fibreglass top. 
They were only just close enough with a steel top, 
where I found the  original holes etc as my car was also delivered with a hardtop

Edited by Hamish
Ps

Thanks for the replies Guys, I will take some photos and post as soon as i get around to his garage. The top of the B post to bottom of the hardtop area is what I would like to see by a photo as a picture paints a thousand words. PM if you like and I will email you back for pics.

Regards Harry TR5 Nutter

Perhaps these will help. Please remember the Factory WSM has a very good section on HT fitting.

Over the years I have found the  sequence to be

Sidescreens to Windscreen first. 

Then hardtop to screen and sidescreens

Then soft top 

Its a laborious job but pays off in the end.

Always be prepared to discover that the Windscreen is giving you problems, all those who have used it to leaver themselves out over the years are to blame!

IMG_2946.jpg

IMG_2945.jpg

IMG_2936.jpg

IMG_2944.jpg

IMG_2943.jpg

Edited by iain

My experience fitting a hardtop was very different. I drove down to the coast, was it Sussex? So long ago... a fancy Classic Car dealer was adveetising Californian sidescreen cars and one had a hardtop. I phoned, yes, come down if you like. So I did. In the only car I had, the 2.

Imagine at the back of the showroom, a long slope, littered with cars parked in the field, some rusted, many not, and there was the Californian car with its hardtop. We took a look at the top hats, the caged nuts fitted to OGB 800. They just needed re-reaming, I bought a set of new chrome fittings then and there. And just plonked the hardtop on without a hitch. Only time I used it. But you could feel the difference to the body. Whatever scuttle shake was there disappeared.