I was watching a series on Christine Keeler (Profumo affair) last night and a BRG RHD (with wipers parking on the right as well) TR2 registration number DCM 283 came on screen being driven by her 'Manager'.

I looked the number plate up on the TR2 survivors list and it actually exists. However, it is a bit confusing.

TS1135L, BRG and located in Sweden, says it is ex DCM 283. This car could have come to the UK and been converted to RHD 

TS2240 is listed with the plates DCM 283. It is a red UK car.

So the ex DCM 283 is the right colour but LHD. The car listed on the Survivors list as DCM 283 is the wrong colour but RHD.

Maybe the plates on the TV car were just used for the show.

?????

Like the Brits, the Swedes used to drive on the left side of the road, changing to usual Continental practice at the end of the 1950s.  In Sweden in the 1950s, a RHD TR2 would be very handy as the driver could see to overtake.  I recollect being driven by a Swede in Sweden in a LHD Mini shortly before the changeover, and it was rather scary because the Mini is small and I was looking at the oncoming vehicles and wondering whether the driver had spotted them.

Ian Cornish

1 hour ago, ianc said:

Like the Brits, the Swedes used to drive on the left side of the road, changing to usual Continental practice at the end of the 1950s.  In Sweden in the 1950s, a RHD TR2 would be very handy as the driver could see to overtake.  I recollect being driven by a Swede in Sweden in a LHD Mini shortly before the changeover, and it was rather scary because the Mini is small and I was looking at the oncoming vehicles and wondering whether the driver had spotted them.

Ian Cornish

AAAaaahhhh Ian time flies doesn't it. I remember the TV programmes about Sweden changing onto the right hand side for driving joining the rest of the Continent by doing so, however that was on 3 September 1967 rather than the 50s (even the end of them).

Mick Richards

Didn’t they do HGVs first to see how it went with cars etc the following week. ?

:ph34r:

I heard it was cars with even registration numbers one day and the odd numbers the next. :P

That photo seems to show the changeover point was halfway down the street!

You are correct, Mick, must have been the 1960s.  It was while I was still working for Evershed & Vignoles (Acton Lane, Chiswick) and was sent to Linkoping to commission the company's electronic instrumentation and control equipment which had been installed in the District Heating Plant.  I left Eversheds in spring 1965, so it must have been late '64/early '65.  I recall that it was cold and there was some snow about.

The District Heating Plant generated electricity and hot water, which was stored in a very large tank (like a grain silo) and pumped to various buildings in the town.  Being able to put surplus electricity into the grid meant that the town qualified for cheap rate when it required more electrical power than it was able to generate.  At the time, it struck me as a very innovative scheme by the town.  On my return to the UK, I had an indirect flight, hopping to Denmark in a twin-engine Dakota - noisy and slow, but it had the advantage that it flew quite low and enabled me to understand why Sweden is called the Land of 1000 Lakes.

Ian Cornish

6 hours ago, cvtrian said:

and I think this image is from the day they changed over, (including a TR4!)

By coincidence, a British Movietone News cameraman (circled below) happened to be filming just at that moment too . . .

TRswed67.thumb.jpg.a8d2a269494b81b36a4ddc161db51b5c.jpg

Keep your eyes peeled for the view from his perspective (and the TR4), at 0'44 below.

Cheers, Deggers