Loose earth (?) cable behind dashboard

Hello all, I've a yellow and green cable hanging loose behind the dashboard--TR2, 1955, rhd. The fixed end of the cable goes into the rev counter (see photo). The other end is just hanging though. Please can somebody tell me what's the best point at which to attach the loose end?

cable_000.jpg

Edited by oxf2
mv img url

My guess is it is for the instrument lights earth in the tacho. Do they work at night when lights are on...if not the earth cable's connection could be the solution

Peter W

I would put it under one of the 2 screws holding the heater support rail to the bulkhead. Directly above your :-O symbol in 2nd photo

Bob.

P.S Yellow / green is not the right colour for TR2 earth, but never mind !

3 hours ago, oxf2 said:

Right you are Peter, the instrument lights do not work at night. Does the cable just need to be connected to any metal point on the dashboard?

If all the instrument lights fail to work at night - is the panel light switch pulled 'on'?

You will need separate earth connection to the both the big instruments and the steel bit of the centre instrument panel (I believe it should have an earth connection point at the top rear corner)

Cheers

Peter W

PS I guess you spotted the nut on one of the steering column clamps is loose.

PPS As Bob has stated originally TR2 earth cables are not green/yellow, they are all  Black. 

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Thank you Peter and Bob for your posts :)

The instrument lights do work after all -- I hadn't pulled the panel light button on, doh! Thanks for the reminder Peter. (All the white letters on my dash buttons have worn off, causing me to forget what that top button was there for.)

Yes I had spotted the loose nut on the steering column clamp, that's fixed now.

Since it's not clear to me what this cable's for, I'll do some more research. I have a wiring diagram (below) from the old S-T service manual suggesting cable '19' or '29' might be the one. Well it obviously isn't cable 29, and I can't spot cable 19 on the diagram! Oh well, I'll keep going down this rabbit-hole.

wiring_diagram-50.jpg

The wire is definately to earth the instrument. without it you are relying on the dubious connection of the instruments case to the dashboard, & of the dashboard to the rest of the body. Only thing wrong (as stated above) is that the wire should be black.

Bob.