I have a problem with my 1966 Tr4a, I had the starter motor rebuilt professionally a couple of years ago and have had no problems since,

however I tried starting the car and the starter motor just did the loud whizzing noise as though the Bendix was not engaging in the ring gear

I thought the battery was not at sufficient power to fire the Bendix in so I fully charged the battery.... still the same.

I put the car into gear and rocked it.... no change

I tried turning the square nut on the back of the starter motor... it  turned easily with my fingers

I tried tapping the starter motor with a hammer.....no change

Any suggestions would be welcome

Regards Lee

Hi Lee,

it does sound like the bendix isn;t being thrown into the ring gear..

I think you will have to remove the motor and see what is going on. I suspect muck has got onto the bendix and gumming things up.

Remove, clean the bendix, lubricate with a dry graphite lubricant (as used in locks) and bench test.

Roger

Hi Lee,  its usually a problem with the bedix gear and the small spiral sleeve which it moves up and down on aided by the light spring (2 nd from left in photo) The sleeve is 5th part from left. All parts need to be clean and rust free with just a drop of graphite as Roger suggests or a smear of light oil.

Chris

20200304_201625.jpg

Edited by ChrisR-4A
8 hours ago, ctc77965o said:

Change the battery before you dismantle the starter, it could still be a bad battery issue

...and check the earth cable to the engine, if not good the choke cable will be the only other route as an engine earth.

Peter W

Thank you all so much for the advice, I will jump lead the battery first to make sure it is not a faulty battery, although I charged it up, it may have lost a bit of charge.

If it starts then I guess the battery is not powerful enough to fire the Bendix, if not I will remove it and clean it up and do a bench test.

I guess a bench test could be connecting the starter motor to a battery (good one ) via jump leads? is this safe?

Golf is cancelled today so I will self isolate in the garage 

Thanks for all your help once again Lee

If you do a bench test make sure the motor is very securely clamped to the bench.  There's a lot of inertia when an inertia starter operates and it will fling itself quite some distance if not restrained.

Hello Lee

Had a similar problem years ago that turned out to be loose/dirty contact for power connection to starter motor. Cleaned it up and made sure it was tightened up and back in business. 

Also agree with others above that old grease on Bendix doesn't help.

Keith

Hi all, has anyone used the jump lead test on the starter motor?

If it is the battery I will be very disappointed as I purchased a LINCON battery hoping it would last a bit longer than 3 years

Any suggestions on replacement battery?

Lee

I've had bad experience with a couple of Lincon batteries in the past so stick to Bosch now. They do a good 74 amp hr one which just fits a TR 4-6

3 hours ago, Lee Dutton said:

Hi all, has anyone used the jump lead test on the starter motor?

Yes bench testing is simple with jump leads and a battery.  As stated clamp the starter in a vice or to the bench.

If you decide to delve inside the motor I do have a stock of NOS parts for the thing from the days when my fathers's business was rebuilding them.  He used to test them for free running speed and stall torque after rebuild.

Usual items are phosphor bronze shaft bushes at each end and the carbon brushes.  The bending does get chewed up.  The field coils get oil soaked and short circuit.  I have all these as NOS spares.   The fields are already built into the motor casing which makes for simple assembly if you do not have the special screwdriver and support tool.   PM if you get stuck.

I also have a Unipart rebuild starter assembly somewhere.   It is the more modern Lucas replacement 2M100 design rather than the original M418G.  Same power output just lighter construction.

Cheers

Peter w

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Some good advice, checked my battery will not hold a charge on advice from members got a Bosch battery, fits fine and good price from Tanya batteries.

However still whirrsss when not engaging so took it off, fitted between steering column and inner wing with a bit of a struggle ok

Bendix was very sticky old manky grease so did a full clean and then tried a bench test  

This is where I need some guidance. I held the starter motor in the vice and connected jump leads nothing happened

Not sure why maybe someone has some ideas

Question at this stage, is a high torq motor worth the added expense? or should I keep with the original

cheers all Lee

Hi Lee,

hold motor in a vice 

Attach earth lead tot he vice

Attach positive lead to the contact/stud on the motor.  It should now wizz.

How much disassembly did you do to the motor to clean up the bendix.?

Roger

Hi Roger,

I didn't do any disassembly as all looked in good shape.

I cleaned all the sticky goo off using a combination of carburettor  cleaner and dismantling fluid.

Would just like to know why that spring on the end is so big!! and the return one is so small

I will put a little graphite grease on the moving parts as suggested and re fit

Way I look at it,  it's been ok for 50 odd years had a recon maybe 10 years ago

so I'II stick with it.

best regards Lee

Lee,

Don’t use graphite GREASE, you need graphite POWDER.

You can get little bottles of it from eBay.

Clean all traces of grease/oli before you use it.

(Or if you have a lot of old pencils you could remove the “Lead” and grind it down.)

Charlie.

17 hours ago, Charlie D said:

Lee,

Don’t use graphite GREASE, you need graphite POWDER.

You can get little bottles of it from eBay.

Clean all traces of grease/oli before you use it.

(Or if you have a lot of old pencils you could remove the “Lead” and grind it down.)

Charlie.

Pencil lead is a mix of graphite, clay and wax...stick to the proper graphite powder...the clay is likely abrasive

Hi,

I already mentioned this in another post:

about 10 years ago I washed away all the old grease form the previous owners and "greased" that with sawing machine oil,

this is traded at Germany as "white oil" or "gun oil", easy to use the trade mark "Balistol" (my favorite).

No problem at all since that.

Ciao, Marco