Having got my TR2 heading towards the finishing line, I'm now having second thoughts

regarding my choice of the Girling axle I substituted for the original Lockheed axle, which would

have been equipped with the maligned 9" brakes.It did, however, come from the States with the

later mod of Lockeed 10" brakes already made, and I'm now wanting to backpedal to the original spec.

I've already got a pair of 9" Alfins and will be looking for backplates etc to effect the change.

My question is, are there any of the 10" small components that I can utilise in the change, specifically

adjuster and wheel cylinders?

I'm aware of the negatives regarding going down this route, but to be honest, I've driven driven so many

old cars with crappy brakes, I've always managed to work around the limited performance, and am confident

that that will be the case here, including dodgy half shafts.

Thanks

Roger Murray-Evans

If your changing from 10" Lockheed to 9" Lockheed then yes apart from backplates/shoes and pull off springs they are the same components, just be aware there are two different handbrake levers on the early cars, you can use either but you need the same cylinders to go with and they must be fitted as a pair.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

And the Lockheed axle leaks oil onto its brakes, apart from the weakness in the hub bearings and half shafts.

I wish I had known about the Girling axle when I had my TR2 in the 1960s - I was fortunate that the car had been fitted with disc front brakes because the rear brake shoes were so often coated in oil from the differential so did little to assist retardation.

Ian Cornish

4 hours ago, stuart said:

If your changing from 10" Lockheed to 9" Lockheed then yes apart from backplates/shoes and pull off springs they are the same components, just be aware there are two different handbrake levers on the early cars, you can use either but you need the same cylinders to go with and they must be fitted as a pair.

Stuart.

Something tells me  the hand brake cables across the axle were slightly shorter on 9"  Get roundable as the 10" drum ones can be reduced in length at the threaded bit.  Odd really as when the cars went back to 9" drums they did not change the cables again.

As Ian says the oil leaks are what I also got fed up with.

Do not forget the two different internal diameter/size of rear hub oil seal.  Both are available, just measure your hubs before buying.  Bearings are easy as they are from many other cars/industries.  Timken is 6206  Triumph is SP75G  Avoid C3 spec bearings if possible as they are looser radial fit.  2RS or ZZ means the type of shield  2RS is  2 rubber  zz is 2 metal.

Cheers

Peter W

Search results  http://www.kakapart.com/parts/triumph-sp75g.html

Thank you Gentlemen!

I think that about covers what I wanted to know.Some of it, I didn't even know

I needed to know!I wasn't aware of the alternative oil seals for a start neither

the differing h/brake levers, so have no excuse to cock it up1

And yes, I'm well aware of the oil leaks situation from past experience and it

applies to many cars of the period, including Vauxhalls and Allards in my care! 

How easy will it be to source the backplates I wonder.Were they all chucked into the nearest skip?

Roger Murray-Evans

I skipped a TR2 axle recently, nobody wanted it, but I kept the back plates and half shafts if that is what you are looking for.

Cheers Richard